Seasonal Allergies

Lucyciocia

Aug 19, 2016
Brooklyn ny
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie
My vet said cookie had seasonal allergies and she might need some medication. Anyone had this with their bully?

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear is the allergy king! He's had apoquel tablets, cytopoint shots and most recently Claritin! We had a scare a couple months Ago, Bear was chewing his feet so I put his mousse on to soothe it and when I went to give him a treat I noticed his face was slightly swollen! We gave him Benadryl and at the instructions of our vet took him to the dog er and they gave him a steroid shot and some temaril p pills we had a chat with his er vet and she said for a dog so prone to allergies she recommends plain Claritin! She even gives her own dog one a day! Just one little pill every morning and a month supply is $20! Bear eats everything like it's a treat so we just throw it in his bowl and he's good! We also give him salmon oil daily since he was old enough to take it and I think it helped set him on the right track! His fur is so thick and soft and he has no bumps from allergies! So now we do a cytopoint shot every 3 months and Claritin daily That keeps most everything at bay but if he flairs up particularly bad we keep a back up bottle of apoquel and administer for about a week and he's good as new! I attached a photo of the oil and the Claritin make sure it's this exact one though! And it has no decongestant! That's dangerous!! Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 08E975AB-C1F7-4457-B2C7-92443F826CD5.png
    08E975AB-C1F7-4457-B2C7-92443F826CD5.png
    273.8 KB · Views: 109
  • D75F5647-56FE-442D-B178-D237D561E361.png
    D75F5647-56FE-442D-B178-D237D561E361.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
OP
L

Lucyciocia

Aug 19, 2016
Brooklyn ny
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie
Bear is the allergy king! He's had apoquel tablets, cytopoint shots and most recently Claritin! We had a scare a couple months Ago, Bear was chewing his feet so I put his mousse on to soothe it and when I went to give him a treat I noticed his face was slightly swollen! We gave him Benadryl and at the instructions of our vet took him to the dog er and they gave him a steroid shot and some temaril p pills we had a chat with his er vet and she said for a dog so prone to allergies she recommends plain Claritin! She even gives her own dog one a day! Just one little pill every morning and a month supply is $20! Bear eats everything like it's a treat so we just throw it in his bowl and he's good! We also give him salmon oil daily since he was old enough to take it and I think it helped set him on the right track! His fur is so thick and soft and he has no bumps from allergies! So now we do a cytopoint shot every 3 months and Claritin daily That keeps most everything at bay but if he flairs up particularly bad we keep a back up bottle of apoquel and administer for about a week and he's good as new! I attached a photo of the oil and the Claritin make sure it's this exact one though! And it has no decongestant! That's dangerous!! Hope this helps!
Thank you. Any shampoo advice?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My Frenchie is allergic to everything green outside and used to get weekly baths and I would rotate between Ketohex shampoo and a chlorhexidine shampoo. It did not dry out his skin. Now that he's on Cytopoint injections, he just gets periodic baths.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau is allergic to all things green…. Monthly Cytopoint shots with daily Zyrtec pill. I also wipes his paws after being in the grass

Uiles

Jan 27, 2021
Country
UA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobe
dry flaky skin that causes rashes any one's else dog suffers from it? I tried every treatment and food supplement recommended by the vet but it keeps cumming back

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
dry flaky skin that causes rashes any one's else dog suffers from it? I tried every treatment and food supplement recommended by the vet but it keeps cumming back
This could be food related…. What are you curent ly feeding

Stephr90

Jun 12, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
My vet said cookie had seasonal allergies and she might need some medication. Anyone had this with their bully?
Hi my oldest bulldog Bruno who is two has many environmental allergies he's allergic to basically everything outside also dust mites, storage mites and cats. He was prescribed steriods and all sorts of medication from the vets like cytopoint which just covered up his allergies and surpressed his immune system which can cause a whole lot of other problems in the future. I decided the vets was doing more harm than good by just giving him drugs. I switched to an hollistic vets and changed to a raw diet. I found the best thing that helped him was bovine colostrum and more omega 3 in his diet. It has built up his immune system and he can now go walks without having a flare up maybe help cookie. I also changed his shampoo to 4 leggers which is kind to his skin and has no nasties in it. Maybe help with wee cookie fingers crossed 🤞.

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi my oldest bulldog Bruno who is two has many environmental allergies he's allergic to basically everything outside also dust mites, storage mites and cats. He was prescribed steriods and all sorts of medication from the vets like cytopoint which just covered up his allergies and surpressed his immune system which can cause a whole lot of other problems in the future. I decided the vets was doing more harm than good by just giving him drugs. I switched to an hollistic vets and changed to a raw diet. I found the best thing that helped him was bovine colostrum and more omega 3 in his diet. It has built up his immune system and he can now go walks without having a flare up maybe help cookie. I also changed his shampoo to 4 leggers which is kind to his skin and has no nasties in it. Maybe help with wee cookie fingers crossed 🤞.

Exactly the same for my dog, I declined Cytopoint and other allergy stuff from vet(said no to Benadryl and others too) and I have him on raw diet and bovine Colostrum and baths every so often and the bovine Colostrum has made a big difference as well as the food, that way it’s helping/boosting his immune system not suppressing it.

Mushrooms are also greats(Turkey tail and also four leaf rover immunity mushrooms) and omega 3.

Members online