Scratching and paws

Peppaā€™s mom

Sep 28, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Peppa

Good morning, looking for some advice for my 1 year old EBD.

A few weeks ago she started scratching around her neck quite a bit and paw licking. Iā€™m guessing allergies.

She scratched her neck quite badly and broke the skin. Last night while cleaning it I noticed some pus around the wound. At the same time I caught sight of her paws - all 4 have red weepy spots between the pads. Do I need to rush to the vet? Or maybe try epsom soak and polysporin for a few days? Benadryl? Any advice is appreciated as a new EBD mom!!! Pics attached!
CEF799AB-67D5-4240-AE18-0CA40D6EC977.jpeg

Attachments

• E7A1B650-B3A6-4E62-88C7-CD2F132B1E09.jpeg
    E7A1B650-B3A6-4E62-88C7-CD2F132B1E09.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • FA47CC50-728D-4E6F-91A5-EB62E649BBCF.jpeg
    FA47CC50-728D-4E6F-91A5-EB62E649BBCF.jpeg
    901.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 178414F8-48F6-4F15-8177-6C8DE4AE478D.jpeg
    178414F8-48F6-4F15-8177-6C8DE4AE478D.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 154

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello n Welcome ā€¼ļø

They are called HotSpots. A lot of dogs gets that even mine. We usually donā€™t go to vets for that as theyā€™ll give you antibiotics which for hotspot is curable at home. The one around the neck simply shave around it, wash it with soap n water. You can even use Dawn dish soap the blue one. Rinse properly n let it dry out. Most of us members will usually Bag Balm n NuStock. These 2 items are a must in a household with pets. I use either or on the hotspots. You will see it healing in a couple days. Now for BB check the attachment as the can HAS to have the cow Udders on the can as it has antiseptic as an ingredient. For the paws you canā€™t shave there so soak them in Epsom salt, dry properly n add BB. I USE Baby socks for a couple hours so dogs donā€™t lick it off. I find since itā€™s a close area NuStock works better. Itā€™s also natural. Smells but works great. Hotspots is usually cause of a weak immune system which you can build it up by feeding fermented veggies or fermented sauerkraut., raw organs as toppers or raw marrow bones. What does your dog eat as food?

OP
P

Peppaā€™s mom

Sep 28, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Hello n Welcome ā€¼ļø

They are called HotSpots. A lot of dogs gets that even mine. We usually donā€™t go to vets for that as theyā€™ll give you antibiotics which for hotspot is curable at home. The one around the neck simply shave around it, wash it with soap n water. You can even use Dawn dish soap the blue one. Rinse properly n let it dry out. Most of us members will usually Bag Balm n NuStock. These 2 items are a must in a household with pets. I use either or on the hotspots. You will see it healing in a couple days. Now for BB check the attachment as the can HAS to have the cow Udders on the can as it has antiseptic as an ingredient. For the paws you canā€™t shave there so soak them in Epsom salt, dry properly n add BB. I USE Baby socks for a couple hours so dogs donā€™t lick it off. I find since itā€™s a close area NuStock works better. Itā€™s also natural. Smells but works great. Hotspots is usually cause of a weak immune system which you can build it up by feeding fermented veggies or fermented sauerkraut., raw organs as toppers or raw marrow bones. What does your dog eat as food?
Wow thank you for this reply!! She is on Arcana single protein (pork with squash). Iā€™ve just got her some raw marrow bones so I can introduce that as well. I will head out now to find the right balm. I appreciate your reply and this forum so much!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Helene gave All the advice I would have givenā€¦ get the immune system strengthen and wipe paws when coming in from outside

OP
P

Peppaā€™s mom

Sep 28, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
For the raw marrow bones - they are big yes but is there any fear of choking I need to worry about? Or are they really just clearing the flesh and marrow off? Sheā€™s never had one before! And I fear I over think everything lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
For the raw marrow bones - they are big yes but is there any fear of choking I need to worry about? Or are they really just clearing the flesh and marrow off? Sheā€™s never had one before! And I fear I over think everything lol
these below..stay away from joints just like this photo 4-5ā€ long.
B9095B64-DA29-497D-AA9E-633A95E642DF.jpeg

OP
P

Peppaā€™s mom

Sep 28, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Hello again,

I wanted post an update for those who have been so helpful!

The bag balm was a miracle for the hotspot! We also did Epsom soaks on her paws daily - adding a cone for the last week was also a game changer (she doesnā€™t mind it just gets really sappy lol).

However a few days ago she developed little pustules all down her neck, a few on her muzzle and top of head. We saw the vet today. Itā€™s an allergic reaction resulting in minor infection - from what, we donā€™t know. Either our nature walk a couple weeks back, dog park or seasonal allergies. Also yeasty ears - though the canals look great. Sheā€™s got a week of prednisone, a month of chlorhexedine ā€œmousseā€ and some ear drops.

The vet is pleased with food as far as low allergen goes - but did notice omega 6 is not listed in the make up of the food. She recommended an oil you put between their shoulders once a week (Essential 6 I think itā€™s called).
I do give her fish oil daily - but know that is higher in omega 3.

Wondering if there are any opinions on this if anyone has tried it.
Would also appreciate any brand recommendations on fermented veggies! (Iā€™m German so have the kraut nailed!)

Vet said this should naturally calm as winter comes but in the spring, at the first sign of excessive itching or paw licking to come right in so we can get ahead of it.

Thank you to all for reading and posting - I read such helpful info here and as the years pass for us I look forward to helping others!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello again,

The bag balm was a miracle for the hotspot! We also did Epsom soaks on her paws daily - adding a cone for the last week was also a game changer (she doesnā€™t mind it just gets really sappy lol).

However a few days ago she developed little pustules all down her neck, a few on her muzzle and top of head. We saw the vet today. Itā€™s an allergic reaction resulting in minor infection - from what, we donā€™t know. Either our nature walk a couple weeks back, dog park or seasonal allergies. Also yeasty ears - though the canals look great. Sheā€™s got a week of prednisone, a month of chlorhexedine ā€œmousseā€ and some ear drops.

The vet is pleased with food as far as low allergen goes - but did notice omega 6 is not listed in the make up of the food. She recommended an oil you put between their shoulders once a week (Essential 6 I think itā€™s called).

Would also appreciate any brand recommendations on fermented veggies! (Iā€™m German so have the kraut nailed!)

Vet said this should naturally calm as winter comes but in the spring, at the first sign of excessive itching or paw licking to come right in so we can get ahead of it.

Thank you to all for reading and posting - I read such helpful info here and as the years pass for us I look forward to helping others!
@helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello again,

For yeasty ears simply keep lavender essential oil from either DoTerra or Young Living. DoTerra less expensive same quality. Couple drops ABOVE the ear canal n it will seep on its own. I do this on regular basis as maintenance. Acana is a great high quality kibble, you might want to try rotating their bags to avoid allergies n to build the gut flora. Every month or when bag is done, try like duck as itā€™s easier to digest n lamb harder to digest. Heā€™s only a yr old so not into full blown allergies yet IF any. My 2 eats any protein even chicken n not issues. Why itā€™s important to introduce all proteins as pups so they get use to. If youā€™re German you know your Fermented foods :). Basically to your natural health food store buy fermented sauerkraut in the FRIDGE section. Or go to Costco as they sell it in their fridge section. I make my own as I can us any veggies.

This oil between the shoulders once a week IMO I personally wouldnt do that. But thatā€™s me. Your dog simply has her immune system down so build it back up with food source. Itā€™s nothing major. Clean the pimple area n add NuStock. It will go away.

This is a brand you can buy throughout Canada for fermented sauerkraut n they also do other veggies. BUT yes a BUT most are hot n spicy so read your ingredients.

BTW, where in Canada are you?

Wildbrine Raw ORGANIC Sauerkraut

OP
P

Peppaā€™s mom

Sep 28, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
For yeasty ears simply keep lavender essential oil from either DoTerra or Young Living. DoTerra less expensive same quality. Couple drops ABOVE the ear canal n it will seep on its own. I do this on regular basis as maintenance. Acana is a great high quality kibble, you might want to try rotating their bags to avoid allergies n to build the gut flora. Every month or when bag is done, try like duck as itā€™s easier to digest n lamb harder to digest. Heā€™s only a yr old so not into full blown allergies yet IF any. My 2 eats any protein even chicken n not issues. Why itā€™s important to introduce all proteins as pups so they get use to. If youā€™re German you know your Fermented foods :). Basically to your natural health food store buy fermented sauerkraut in the FRIDGE section. Or go to Costco as they sell it in their fridge section. I make my own as I can us any veggies.

This oil between the shoulders once a week IMO I personally wouldnt do that. But thatā€™s me. Your dog simply has her immune system down so build it back up with food source. Itā€™s nothing major. Clean the pimple area n add NuStock. It will go away.

This is a brand you can buy throughout Canada for fermented sauerkraut n they also do other veggies. BUT yes a BUT most are hot n spicy so read your ingredients.

BTW, where in Canada are you?

Wildbrine Raw ORGANIC Sauerkraut
@2BullyMama and @helsonwheels

now I know how to tag! Haha thank you!

Agree on rotating her arcana - we swap pork and duck mostly. We had a severe reaction when she was about 4 months old to Oven Baked Traditions grain free chicken (her entire face swelled up instantly) so I freaked out and we avoid chicken. Though admit it could have been any ingredient. I very occasionally give her plain cooked chicken as a test - so far okay but I have trust issues!
Iā€™m an advise user of essential oils for myself! Never knew this lavender trick so Iā€™m definitely going to incorporate this now! Thank you!!!
I love anything I can get at Costco so thank you for that! I would much prefer to build up her immune system naturally - so I will go for the fermented approach over vet supplements!
We are in Montreal! Thankfully still have some nice October weather but sadly the freezing winter season is inevitable!!!
Hopefully last questions for you!
- how often do you feed the fermented veggies?
- how often do you give marrow bones? (I think of it like a super treat lol)

I also appreciate all our babies are different and not one thing fits all - but as my first EBD - I just want to give her the best life ever!!!!

hugs and thanks!!!

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
I bought the bag balm off of Amazon in uk. Itā€™s got a picture of a cow on it but no pictures of udders ? Is this the same one ? I have been applying it to Geoffs bald spots

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama and @helsonwheels

now I know how to tag! Haha thank you!

Agree on rotating her arcana - we swap pork and duck mostly. We had a severe reaction when she was about 4 months old to Oven Baked Traditions grain free chicken (her entire face swelled up instantly) so I freaked out and we avoid chicken. Though admit it could have been any ingredient. I very occasionally give her plain cooked chicken as a test - so far okay but I have trust issues!
Iā€™m an advise user of essential oils for myself! Never knew this lavender trick so Iā€™m definitely going to incorporate this now! Thank you!!!
I love anything I can get at Costco so thank you for that! I would much prefer to build up her immune system naturally - so I will go for the fermented approach over vet supplements!
We are in Montreal! Thankfully still have some nice October weather but sadly the freezing winter season is inevitable!!!
Hopefully last questions for you!
- how often do you feed the fermented veggies?
- how often do you give marrow bones? (I think of it like a super treat lol)

I also appreciate all our babies are different and not one thing fits all - but as my first EBD - I just want to give her the best life ever!!!!

hugs and thanks!!!
Cool Iā€™m also from Montreal too. Born n raised there, my whole family is in Montreal. I drive down yearly with the dogs. Iā€™m the only one in Alberta. Was about to buy a cottage along a lake in mont tremblay area till covid hit. Iā€™m not a Legault fan. But I just bought an acreage here instead.

So I doubt the chicken is the issue as a 4 month old pup already has their a strong immune system since theyā€™re just off momā€™s milk. Marrow bones once every couple weeks but I leave the bone there even if the middle marrow is gone so they can chew something thatā€™s not your hands or furniture :) When I use to feed kibbles to my dogs I use to add toppers in each meals. Raw organs sliced up, or add the fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. Rotate them. My dogs are on a raw diet so no need for more organs. I still give them a can of sardines once a week. And if you feed kibbles do give dogs a can of sardines.

Thank you for tagging cause I donā€™t see everything. Dont ask lollā€¦.Why we tag one another.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.