Scared Bully Mum

Peaches2102

Aug 22, 2022
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Hi all I hope your well,l iv not been on here for a while but I'm hoping someone can help me in giving me so advice/knowledge/reassurance on my situation. I live in the UK and I have a 10 month old English bulldog called Biggie and unfortunately his testicle have not dropped so he's now classed as crypto. The vets want to remove them as if we leave them in they can turn cancerous. So being a little uneducated i researched the old google as you do and all I'm seeing are horror stories of bulldogs not surviving the op and now im petrified biggie will not pull through the anaesthetic. i just don't know what to do I'm in a catch 22 if we leave them he could get cancer and if we remove them he could die on the table. I just dont know which way to turn I'm absolutely beside myself with worry, I don't want to lose my boy!! hes still so young. Any advice/knowledge/ vet recommendations it would be greatly appreciated or if you have any experiences of your own good or bad that you would like to share that would be great too. TIA.

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry you are having this dilemma. The first thing is to make sure you trust your veterinarian. That is the major decision.
Years ago I raised tiny toy poodles. I had purchased a beautiful tiny male with the intention of using him for breeding. When he was old enough, his testicles never "dropped" and he had the surgery to remove them.One of the testicles was up near his stomach. He did fine with surgery- So then, I had another pet.
I have had horses castrated, and several dogs. Never had a problem. The most important factor to me, is that you trust your veterinarian. Has he dealt with EBS? I have complete trust in mine and he has done many procedures on my animals over the years! Ask about bull dog patients and how many surgeries he has done-knowing about bulldog's surgeries(anesthesia) is the most important. How many bulldog patients does he have? How many English Bulldog surgeries has he done? Don't be afraid to ask. A GOOD doctor will be happy to answer your questions! @Peaches2102

Last edited:

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
From my understanding, more issues than cancer are likely if you don't have the testicles removed. Getting him neutered should be a priority.

Make sure you find a vet that knows the breed well and has plenty of experience with bulldog surgery. And make sure to have a castration performed, not just orchidopexy

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wow that’s a major surgery. I would be asking tons of questions before accepting the surgery. Why not just neutered him? Definitely get a second opinion n ask if these vets if they knows EB. I know in UK you do have lots of EB but I still would ask.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, unfortunatley, this surgery is not optional and needs to take place. cancer is a chance, but so, so mnay other issues if not addressed. Find a good vet, get a second opinion and then make the date to have the procedure done.

sending prayers to you all

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi, sorry to hear you are going through this.
We had similar thoughts when had Dudley and he needed surgery, your immediate thought is about the sedation and the horror stories you hear about flat nosed breeds going under it’s exactly how will all feel because we love them some much.
Bully parents natural state is often one of worry! 😔 😊
As everyone has already said find yourself a trusted vet with Bulldog experience and talk and ask questions
I am sure he will be fine, we have had two Bully’s and both needed to be sedated with no problem but as said we did trust our vet 100%.
whereabouts in the UK are you?.

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
I’m in uk , I had reservations about Geoff my EB getting the snip. But I was worrying for nothing. I used my local vets who mentioned because he was an EB they know the difficulty’s with flat nose breeds and take extra care. I used Parkside vets

Members online

No members online now.