Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Good day everyone, I hope you are enjoying the summer.

Itā€™s me again asking for some opinions on a reoccurring UTI. Bella, an 80lb 11 year old female spoiled bully continues to have reoccurring UTI, here is where we are for 2019:

January 6th she was on Amoxiclav for 28 days for a UTI
February 20th she was on Clavulin for 8 days for a skin infection
May 2nd she was on Clavulin for 14 days for a UTI
July 17th she was on Clavulin for 7 days for a UTI
August 20th she started on Clavulin, I will give them to her for 14 days

I can see from the above dates that when she took the antibiotics for 28 days the UTI didnā€™t reoccur for 3 months.

On February 2nd she started taking two Zesty Paws Cranberry Bladder Bites per day to help with the UTI, because she showed signs of an UTI starting I increased that to four per day on July 22nd and have continued although I may cut it back to 2 or 3 now that she is on the antibiotics.

She also gets:
One 2080 mg of omega 3 (1430 mg EPA/570 mg DHA) fish oil per day.
One 400 mg of vitamin E oil every 3 days.
Half a tripe patty per day.
Coconut oil every day.
Due to an ongoing health issue she gets 5 mg of Prednisone every 3 days and has been for years.

In March/April the skin infection cleared up, now her coat is nice and thick and has never looked better. Hopefully the seasonal skin infection doesnā€™t return next winter but that may be wishful thinking.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My bulldog had constant UTIs and it tuned out she had too much skin in the area and it had to be removed. At 11, I would not want that for your girl... but do you keep her girlie parts clean? If she is a low rider when going potty she might need to have her area cleaned after going

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My bulldog had constant UTIs and it tuned out she had too much skin in the area and it had to be removed. At 11, I would not want that for your girl... but do you keep her girlie parts clean? If she is a low rider when going potty she might need to have her area cleaned after going

Good advice, also make sure she drinks a lot of fluids and gets out to pee often.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thatā€™s the first I have heard of this, interesting. Where can I buy it and how much do I give her ?

Health food store. Make sure itā€™s Oil of Oregano (Origanum vulgare) organic and NOT the essential oil of oregano. Two different oils. Again must be diluted as per the links. WHen I take it, itā€™s also diluted. You can go with 2 drops as sheā€™s 80lb dog. But start low so she gets use to it like once a day for a week. Then later 2x a day. Once the uti is cleared up, use only couple days a month as maintenance since she gets uti often.

Oregano oil is a product made from the oregano plant, ā€œOriganum vulgareā€. It contains a higher concentration of the helpful compounds that occur naturally in the plant. This oil is available to use orally, ***unlike oregano essential oil, which is much more concentrated and used in aromatherapy.*** [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] itā€™s not a drug :)

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Health food store. Make sure itā€™s Oil of Oregano (Origanum vulgare) organic and NOT the essential oil of oregano. Two different oils. Again must be diluted as per the links. WHen I take it, itā€™s also diluted. You can go with 2 drops as sheā€™s 80lb dog. But start low so she gets use to it like once a day for a week. Then later 2x a day. Once the uti is cleared up, use only couple days a month as maintenance since she gets uti often.

Oregano oil is a product made from the oregano plant, ā€œOriganum vulgareā€. It contains a higher concentration of the helpful compounds that occur naturally in the plant. This oil is available to use orally, ***unlike oregano essential oil, which is much more concentrated and used in aromatherapy.*** [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] itā€™s not a drug :)

Thank you, much appreciated

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

Thank you, yes she is a low rider, I clean her after every pee and poo.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

Good morning, I purchased the oil of oregano yesterday and gave Bella one drop with her supper and one drop this morning with her breakfast. The UTI is cleared up because of antibiotics that she finished taking on Monday of this week. Can you please tell me the dosage I should give her (80lbs), should I give her 1 drop with her two daily meals for a week and then how much per week or month for a maintenance dosage. Below is a picture of the one I purchased, it is made by New Roots. Thank you for your help.

18BA4A02-708A-445F-8592-7A2BE605EAD0.jpeg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Good morning, I purchased the oil of oregano yesterday and gave Bella one drop with her supper and one drop this morning with her breakfast. The UTI is cleared up because of antibiotics that she finished taking on Monday of this week. Can you please tell me the dosage I should give her (80lbs), should I give her 1 drop with her two daily meals for a week and then how much per week or month for a maintenance dosage. Below is a picture of the one I purchased, it is made by New Roots. Thank you for your help.

View attachment 117384

Iā€™m on my way out but hereā€™s a couple links for doses. Very well explained. Donā€™t forget to dilute it....

https://www.dogster.com/dog-food/oregano-oil-for-dogs-what-to-know

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/three-natural-antibiotics-for-your-dog/

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
-_
Iā€™m on my way out but hereā€™s a couple links for doses. Very well explained. Donā€™t forget to dilute it....

https://www.dogster.com/dog-food/oregano-oil-for-dogs-what-to-know

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/three-natural-antibiotics-for-your-dog/

Thank you again, I really like the idea of a natural remedy for the reoccurring UTI. I reviewed both articles but I didnā€™t get the answers I am looking for, it seems to be a simple question but finding the answer isnā€™t so simple. I just want to know how many drops I should give Bella daily, weekly or monthly. I have been giving her one drop with each meal (breakfast and supper), I started this yesterday with supper. What is your opinion on this dosage, to little, to much, to often ???

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
-_

Thank you again, I really like the idea of a natural remedy for the reoccurring UTI. I reviewed both articles but I didnā€™t get the answers I am looking for, it seems to be a simple question but finding the answer isnā€™t so simple. I just want to know how many drops I should give Bella daily, weekly or monthly. I have been giving her one drop with each meal (breakfast and supper), I started this yesterday with supper. What is your opinion on this dosage, to little, to much, to often ???

But itā€™s there.... says:

How to Administer Oregano Oil for Dogs

For topical applications, like fungal skin conditions, mix one drop of oregano oil for dogs with a teaspoon of a carrier oil (high-quality olive oil or coconut oil are good ones to use). *When giving oregano oil for dogs orally, use two to three drops in a teaspoon of a carrier oil, and administer to your dog three times a day* or based on the recommendation of your dogā€™s veterinarian.

In a nutshell

Wild Oil of Oregano has become a popular treatment for candidiasis at human doses of 1 drop once or twice per day, building up to a dose of 1 drop 4 times per day, which is considered safe for long-term use.

Dogs dislike the taste and smell of oregano oil. For canine treatment, dilute full-strength oregano oil with coconut oil, then place a drop of the diluted oil in an empty 2-part gelatin capsule, which can be hidden in food. For dogs weighing 50-70 pounds, dilute Ā½ teaspoon oregano essential oil with Ā½ teaspoon coconut oil; for dogs weighing 25-35 pounds, use 1 teaspoon coconut oil; and for smaller dogs, use 1Ā½ to 2 teaspoons coconut oil. Start with 1 drop of the diluted oil per day and gradually build up to 1 drop 4 times per day.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
But itā€™s there.... says:

How to Administer Oregano Oil for Dogs

For topical applications, like fungal skin conditions, mix one drop of oregano oil for dogs with a teaspoon of a carrier oil (high-quality olive oil or coconut oil are good ones to use). *When giving oregano oil for dogs orally, use twos to three drops in a teaspoon of a carrier oil, and administer to your dog three times a day* or based on the recommendation of your dogā€™s veterinarian.

In a nutshell

Wild Oil of Oregano has become a popular treatment for candidiasis at human doses of 1 drop once or twice per day, building up to a dose of 1 drop 4 times per day, which is considered safe for long-term use.

Dogs dislike the taste and smell of oregano oil. For canine treatment, dilute full-strength oregano oil with coconut oil, then place a drop of the diluted oil in an empty 2-part gelatin capsule, which can be hidden in food. For dogs weighing 50-70 pounds, dilute Ā½ teaspoon oregano essential oil with Ā½ teaspoon coconut oil; for dogs weighing 25-35 pounds, use 1 teaspoon coconut oil; and for smaller dogs, use 1Ā½ to 2 teaspoons coconut oil. Start with 1 drop of the diluted oil per day and gradually build up to 1 drop 4 times per day.

Thank you, please understand that I donā€™t mean to be a pest I just want to help my bullie. Since Bella doesnā€™t currently have a UTI she just needs a maintenance dosage to hopefully keep the UTI away. With this dosage information I guess I will keep giving Bella 1 drop per meal on her food for a week to she how she reacts to it, so far she has had no negative results from the oil. I have been adding some water to her kibble and tripe to dilute the oil. If everything seems ok in a week I will increase the dosage to 2 drops per meal unless someone suggests otherwise. Thank you again for your information, I appreciate you and the others on this site who are always willing to help with information. Enjoy the evening and weekend.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.