Rehoming dog transition

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
hey! It's been a minute! I've been so busy with work and life I don't have much time for other things! But I'll just get right into the question! So I work at a dog boarding facility and one of our semi-regular customers needs to rehome their dog, Charlie. So I feel fortunate enough that I was able to offer my home and my family as an option for his new family! Nothing is set in stone but on the chance I do get him how should I go about making his transition into our family easier? A couple of facts: He has met both Emma and bear before up at the kennel and got along well with Both. He is 5 and has only ever been with his family so I don't know how he will respond to us but he is an excellent boarding dog! He's kennel trained and after speaking with his mom he is usually crated all the time except for when he's outside, I don't mind him in the kennel overnight, feeding, leaving him alone but how would I keep him out other times without him getting overwhelmed? I will figure out a way to make it work but I just assumed you all would have some helpful tips! Thank you! also a photo of bear bc why not :)

Attachments

• 736C4256-14AE-4111-B07C-2CC79BDD7456.jpeg
    736C4256-14AE-4111-B07C-2CC79BDD7456.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
hey! It's been a minute! I've been so busy with work and life I don't have much time for other things! But I'll just get right into the question! So I work at a dog boarding facility and one of our semi-regular customers needs to rehome their dog, Charlie. So I feel fortunate enough that I was able to offer my home and my family as an option for his new family! Nothing is set in stone but on the chance I do get him how should I go about making his transition into our family easier? A couple of facts: He has met both Emma and bear before up at the kennel and got along well with Both. He is 5 and has only ever been with his family so I don't know how he will respond to us but he is an excellent boarding dog! He's kennel trained and after speaking with his mom he is usually crated all the time except for when he's outside, I don't mind him in the kennel overnight, feeding, leaving him alone but how would I keep him out other times without him getting overwhelmed? I will figure out a way to make it work but I just assumed you all would have some helpful tips! Thank you! also a photo of bear bc why not :)

I would let him come to your house and meet all your dogs and family again before he comes and lives with you.

That way you know if he likes your family and still gets along with your dogs and gets to sniff and explore your yard and home before he is there for good.

If you go out and have to leave the house I would keep him in the crate so he is more comfortable and that your dogs are also more comfortable, and same at bed time. Then when your home let him out of the crate and keep the crate door open so he has the option if he needs to get comfortable somewhere quiet he can.

If the new dog has a favourite blanket that is always in his crate, or a toy, I would see if the owner will give it to you to put in his crate at your house to help him settle in faster and comfort him.

Good luck!
Keep us updated

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I would let him come to your house and meet all your dogs and family again before he comes and lives with you.

That way you know if he likes your family and still gets along with your dogs and gets to sniff and explore your yard and home before he is there for good.

If you go out and have to leave the house I would keep him in the crate so he is more comfortable and that your dogs are also more comfortable, and same at bed time. Then when your home let him out of the crate and keep the crate door open so he has the option if he needs to get comfortable somewhere quiet he can.

If the new dog has a favourite blanket that is always in his crate, or a toy, I would see if the owner will give it to you to put in his crate at your house to help him settle in faster and comfort him.

Good luck!
Keep us updated
Oh yes! He's coming some time this Saturday to have a home visit, and I do believe we would get all his things. I don't want to tell the reason they have to rehome him as it is kind of personal and not my info to give but I do know they will not have another dog for a long time! So do you think we should immediately switch his things like leash harness collar water bowls toys or should we slowly phase that stuff out for new things? I don't want him to feel alone but I also don't want him to be smelling his old home and wanting to go back! I don't know if that makes sense! I don't really know how dogs interpret that stuff!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Oh yes! He's coming some time this Saturday to have a home visit, and I do believe we would get all his things. I don't want to tell the reason they have to rehome him as it is kind of personal and not my info to give but I do know they will not have another dog for a long time! So do you think we should immediately switch his things like leash harness collar water bowls toys or should we slowly phase that stuff out for new things? I don't want him to feel alone but I also don't want him to be smelling his old home and wanting to go back! I don't know if that makes sense! I don't really know how dogs interpret that stuff!

What kind of dog is it that your gonna keep?
Was it the English Bulldog in the photo you attached??
The bulldog is cute!

If it was me bringing that dog into my home, I would start by doing a new leash and harness that you want to use for him, have the current owners introduce it to him so he is kind of used to it before he comes to you. Same with food and water dishes and new toys can be introduced at your house, when he comes and explores.
But it all depends on how the dog is and the situation.

The main thing would be to make sure he has a crate he knows is his, whether itā€™s a new one or the one he is using now. And as long as he gets along with your family and dogs it should be good.

Is there a reason why you are needing a new leash/collar/food dishes??

Iā€™m not asking for all details, but some info will help me help you on whether to make all the new things(leash/collar/food/dishes/ crate and such) be introduced now while at his current home or at your house while he is learning your home and family.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
What kind of dog is it that your gonna keep?
Was it the English Bulldog in the photo you attached??
The bulldog is cute!

If it was me bringing that dog into my home, I would start by doing a new leash and harness that you want to use for him, have the current owners introduce it to him so he is kind of used to it before he comes to you. Same with food and water dishes and new toys can be introduced at your house, when he comes and explores.
But it all depends on how the dog is and the situation.

The main thing would be to make sure he has a crate he knows is his, whether itā€™s a new one or the one he is using now. And as long as he gets along with your family and dogs it should be good.

Is there a reason why you are needing a new leash/collar/food dishes??

Iā€™m not asking for all details, but some info will help me help you on whether to make all the new things(leash/collar/food/dishes/ crate and such) be introduced now while at his current home or at your house while he is learning your home and family.
Oh no the bulldog is my dog bear! I just like posting photos of him lol but thank you! And thank you for your input!! I just want to kinda phase out his old stuff idk if this will make sense but I'm worried he'll think he's being boarded when he's with us since we've worked with him so much and When the dogs see their stuff they know they are going home so I wouldn't want to confuse him on where home is now!! And omg I completely forgot to mention his breed!! He's a beagle! These are some photos of him at the kennel, he loves to curl up in blankets!

Attachments

• 7BF350A2-0385-4054-B132-B6124C7B3A4D.jpeg
    7BF350A2-0385-4054-B132-B6124C7B3A4D.jpeg
    890.3 KB · Views: 75
  • F6924815-6647-49F6-BA62-B4028E938081.jpeg
    F6924815-6647-49F6-BA62-B4028E938081.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 67

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Even though they have met before, meet for a walk with your dog away from the home then take them back into the home together. If you bring the other dog straight into your home there may be territorial issues. Good luck.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Oh no the bulldog is my dog bear! I just like posting photos of him lol but thank you! And thank you for your input!! I just want to kinda phase out his old stuff idk if this will make sense but I'm worried he'll think he's being boarded when he's with us since we've worked with him so much and When the dogs see their stuff they know they are going home so I wouldn't want to confuse him on where home is now!! And omg I completely forgot to mention his breed!! He's a beagle! These are some photos of him at the kennel, he loves to curl up in blankets!

Yes then maybe get him new leash/harness/food/ toys and that will all be at your house. Then that way he isnā€™t thinking leash means he goes back to his current family.

Cute photos.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
You don't need to get him new things. It doesn't matter if everything is new, he will be confused why he's not going home. It's the attachment to his old pack that he will be expecting to happen. Each dog has a different response to losing his pack. Some dogs will jump right into the new pack, some dogs will take a longer time to finally accept a new pack.

All it takes is time and patience. Good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You don't need to get him new things. It doesn't matter if everything is new, he will be confused why he's not going home. It's the attachment to his old pack that he will be expecting to happen. Each dog has a different response to losing his pack. Some dogs will jump right into the new pack, some dogs will take a longer time to finally accept a new pack.

All it takes is time and patience. Good luck.
This right hereā€¦. YES! Dogs are amazingly resilient and he will settle right in within a month or so knowing he is in a new pack. Do an introduction walk before entering home and let your current pups enter first

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.