Red, puffy, itchy eye - Suggestions appreciated!

sarlynne

May 24, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Hi!
My sweet boy Romeoā€™s right eye has been really red, irritated and itchy the past few weeks that has gotten a bit worse. I have been wiping it with anti fungal wipes and giving him Benadryl the last few days, but no changes yet. Has anyone elseā€™s bulldog had something like this? Could it be mites or more likely a yeast infection or allergic reaction? I plan on bringing him into the vet now, but thought Iā€™d see if anyone had an educated guess so I can try to ease his pain and itchiness ASAP! Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 152EAA8D-6B83-4D1F-8998-D00B848D3224.jpeg
    152EAA8D-6B83-4D1F-8998-D00B848D3224.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 81
  • E32889E3-2996-4F75-A6AD-9B72F2929470.jpeg
    E32889E3-2996-4F75-A6AD-9B72F2929470.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi!
My sweet boy Romeoā€™s right eye has been really red, irritated and itchy the past few weeks that has gotten a bit worse. I have been wiping it with anti fungal wipes and giving him Benadryl the last few days, but no changes yet. Has anyone elseā€™s bulldog had something like this? Could it be mites or more likely a yeast infection or allergic reaction? I plan on bringing him into the vet now, but thought Iā€™d see if anyone had an educated guess so I can try to ease his pain and itchiness ASAP! Thanks so much.

Itā€™s looks like allergies.

Probably pollen or grass allergies, environmental allergies flare up at this time of year.

What do you feed him??

Benadryl my dog actually has a allergic reaction to it. Made it 5X worse cause he was allergic to Benadryl.

Not all dogs are allergic to Benadryl but I give my dog bovine Colostrum to help with environmental allergies, itā€™s a natural version of Benadryl, no side effects either.

You can also give Quercetin tablets that are antihistamine and anti itch.

Keep us updated

OP
S

sarlynne

May 24, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Itā€™s looks like allergies.

Probably pollen or grass allergies, environmental allergies flare up at this time of year.

What do you feed him??

Benadryl my dog actually has a allergic reaction to it. Made it 5X worse cause he was allergic to Benadryl.

Not all dogs are allergic to Benadryl but I give my dog bovine Colostrum to help with environmental allergies, itā€™s a natural version of Benadryl, no side effects either.

You can also give Quercetin tablets that are antihistamine and anti itch.

Keep us updated
Thanks so much, I feed him Acana Lamb and apple grain free. The struggle with changing foods has been astronomical. I still havenā€™t found one I feel like is completely successful, but the lamb has been the best so far until this. šŸ˜© I will definitely look into those medications you mentioned, and get him into the vet. It is now bleeding and wish i could figure out what is affecting him so bad. Iā€™m hopeful the vet will be able to pin it down.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks so much, I feed him Acana Lamb and apple grain free. The struggle with changing foods has been astronomical. I still havenā€™t found one I feel like is completely successful, but the lamb has been the best so far until this. šŸ˜© I will definitely look into those medications you mentioned, and get him into the vet. It is now bleeding and wish i could figure out what is affecting him so bad. Iā€™m hopeful the vet will be able to pin it down.

How long has he been on the lamb for ??

I ask because dogs can develop an allergy to what they eat every day.

I hope you will figure it out, if itā€™s environmental allergies, I recommend Bovine Colostrum(I buy Four Leaf Rover brand) it helps with environmental allergies.

If the vet suggest allergy medications(apoquel, Atopica, and Cytopoint) I highly recommend saying ā€œNo Thanksā€ cause they all destroy the immune system, which causes other health issues, viruses and some cancers can easily take over because of the suppressing the immune system those do.

Have you tried a raw diet?? Lamb with veg or just lamb meat and bone with organ???

Those are easy to digest, maybe look into that if your unsure about his food, just a thought.

But that Acana lamb and apple is good.

Keep us updated

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Eyes can be tricky and I generally don't like to mess around with them as things can go south quickly. Let the vet take a look to make sure there isn't an infection or a scratch would could require prescription eyedrops.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Eyes need to be seen by a vet ASAP!!! He could have an ulcer or something in the eye causing the issue... it's hard to diagnose w/the redness & swelling... I speak from experience here, do not let keyboard "vets" tell you otherwise!!!

OP
S

sarlynne

May 24, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
How long has he been on the lamb for ??

I ask because dogs can develop an allergy to what they eat every day.

I hope you will figure it out, if itā€™s environmental allergies, I recommend Bovine Colostrum(I buy Four Leaf Rover brand) it helps with environmental allergies.

If the vet suggest allergy medications(apoquel, Atopica, and Cytopoint) I highly recommend saying ā€œNo Thanksā€ cause they all destroy the immune system, which causes other health issues, viruses and some cancers can easily take over because of the suppressing the immune system those do.

Have you tried a raw diet?? Lamb with veg or just lamb meat and bone with organ???

Those are easy to digest, maybe look into that if your unsure about his food, just a thought.

But that Acana lamb and apple is good.

Keep us updated
Heā€™s been on the lamb for about 3 or 4 months! I do agree about apoquel because Iā€™ve heard that and would rather try other options first that would not negatively affect his immune system. I made a vet appointment for this weekend so iā€™m hopeful they take care of it! Thanks so much!

OP
S

sarlynne

May 24, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Eyes can be tricky and I generally don't like to mess around with them as things can go south quickly. Let the vet take a look to make sure there isn't an infection or a scratch would could require prescription eyedrops.
Made a vet appointment, thanks so much

OP
S

sarlynne

May 24, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Eyes need to be seen by a vet ASAP!!! He could have an ulcer or something in the eye causing the issue... it's hard to diagnose w/the redness & swelling... I speak from experience here, do not let keyboard "vets" tell you otherwise!!!
I agree! Just wanted to see everyoneā€™s thoughts from experience. Made a vet appointment for this weekend!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
See Vet as ASAP. In the mean time you can try Benadryl to help with the irritation. Hopefully it's nothing more than an insect bite/sting...and not an ulcer or something worse.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.