idaelina

Dec 22, 2016
Tampa Bay, FL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia Clementine
Hey All!
I really need some guidance here. Georgia is 3 and has a torn ACL. She had surgery last Monday. We thought everything was fine and then she started limping and crying pretty badly a few days ago. We went back to the vet for a check up and it's torn AGAIN. We have had her on limited movement and what not and I'm not sure how this happened again.
I'm wondering if you have any tips on how to keep this under control. How do you keep a bully from not being herself? Has your bully every gone through this?
Do I crate her for most of the day? Has anyone tried the braces? - I'm thinking of using it just for recovery purposes...
Anyway help!

Thank you.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry to hear Georgia goes thorugh this. I can offer no advice but Castor sends his best wishes, hoping for a speedy recovery!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16665]idaelina[/MENTION] I have not been through this(thank goodness) but many people who have dealt with this surgery have had to keep their dogs from all activity(except going out to "go)For 8 to 10 weeks, I believe. Kept in crate or pen.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi there, really sorry to hear about Georgia. Our Dudley had the CCL surgery last November and keeping him calm for 12 weeks was hard work! But it has to be done.

Its hard because they want to act exactly the same straight after the operation and they do look like they are fixed but there not.

You have to be very strict which means no stairs, no sofa, no jumping no walking unless on a lead even when she needs to go to the toilet (you never know when a random cat may walk in the garden!)

We slept downstairs on an airbed with him for the first few weeks :( and we sat on the floor for a full 12 weeks so he didnt jump up or more importantly down from the sofa!

We didnt crate him but he had restricted access to the house while we were out.

He has made a full recovery now but we still keep an eye on him and don’t let him up stairs without giving him a hand by putting his harness on, but we are super careful now probably over cautious :D

OP
I

idaelina

Dec 22, 2016
Tampa Bay, FL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia Clementine
Thank you so much everyone. She is back in surgery today :/. I hope we can keep it under wraps this time.
Does anyone have any experience with knee braces - I'm thinking about the recovery...

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
We asked the vet who performed Duds surgery about the leg braces for recovery and he said not to bother as they dont allow the muscle to recover properly and can make the leg weaker.

OP
I

idaelina

Dec 22, 2016
Tampa Bay, FL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia Clementine
We asked the vet who performed Duds surgery about the leg braces for recovery and he said not to bother as they dont allow the muscle to recover properly and can make the leg weaker.

this is very good to know!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey All!
I really need some guidance here. Georgia is 3 and has a torn ACL. She had surgery last Monday. We thought everything was fine and then she started limping and crying pretty badly a few days ago. We went back to the vet for a check up and it's torn AGAIN. We have had her on limited movement and what not and I'm not sure how this happened again.
I'm wondering if you have any tips on how to keep this under control. How do you keep a bully from not being herself? Has your bully every gone through this?
Do I crate her for most of the day? Has anyone tried the braces? - I'm thinking of using it just for recovery purposes...
Anyway help!

Thank you.

We went through this exact situation with our first boy, Nitschke…. we ended up having surgery a second time and we took no chances. We emptied a spare bedroom and turned it into a giant dog bed, mattress on floor, all furniture he could jump on removed and gated the doorway so he could see us but not leave the space. We carried him in and out of house and we spent all our time in the room with him... taking turns sleeping in there with him and followed the vet instructions to the letter. It was not easy but it worked and he was all healed within the 6 weeks they said it would take.

we played on the floor with him kind of like wrestling but there was no running or jumping.... short leashed walks when no one else was around to get him excited.

good luck!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We’ve done 20+ and the recovery is hard on the dog and the owners. There’s no getting around that. Crate rest to us means IN THE CRATE 23 hours and 40 minutes a day. The only time not in the crate is potty time. Patients can walk (on a lead)in a straight line only...NO TURNS! Follow Vet’s discharge instructions to the letter and then some. The more diligent you are early on the quicker the healing.
Wish everyone a speedy recovery!!!!

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Hi there, really sorry to hear about Georgia. Our Dudley had the CCL surgery last November and keeping him calm for 12 weeks was hard work! But it has to be done.

Its hard because they want to act exactly the same straight after the operation and they do look like they are fixed but there not.

You have to be very strict which means no stairs, no sofa, no jumping no walking unless on a lead even when she needs to go to the toilet (you never know when a random cat may walk in the garden!)

We slept downstairs on an airbed with him for the first few weeks :( and we sat on the floor for a full 12 weeks so he didnt jump up or more importantly down from the sofa!

We didnt crate him but he had restricted access to the house while we were out.

He has made a full recovery now but we still keep an eye on him and don’t let him up stairs without giving him a hand by putting his harness on, but we are super careful now probably over cautious :D
Hi, yours is the most helpful entry I've seen about ACL surgery. My oldest just tore his ACL and I need to schedule him for surgery. I have a friend who's Dalmatian went through the same thing as she kept her dog crated or on a leash in the house for 8 to 12 weeks. I know no stairs are allowed but I live in a split entry house and no matter which way you go when you come in the front door you either go up steps or down steps. The only other alternative is to move everything to the lower level so Otis can go out the back door on a leash to the bathroom. My primary concern is I'm starting chemotherapy this week and there's no bathroom on the lower level which will mean coming up two flights of steps to use the bathroom in what may be an emergency situation. I'll do whatever I need to do for his health and well-being. Had you ever tried a help me up harness? I'd consider that because at this point right now I could lift him with a little difficulty up the steps but I don't know how it will be after chemo has set in. It certainly sounds like you did everything I was advised to do and I hope your dog continues to do well.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Hi, yours is the most helpful entry I've seen about ACL surgery. My oldest just tore his ACL and I need to schedule him for surgery. I have a friend who's Dalmatian went through the same thing as she kept her dog crated or on a leash in the house for 8 to 12 weeks. I know no stairs are allowed but I live in a split entry house and no matter which way you go when you come in the front door you either go up steps or down steps. The only other alternative is to move everything to the lower level so Otis can go out the back door on a leash to the bathroom. My primary concern is I'm starting chemotherapy this week and there's no bathroom on the lower level which will mean coming up two flights of steps to use the bathroom in what may be an emergency situation. I'll do whatever I need to do for his health and well-being. Had you ever tried a help me up harness? I'd consider that because at this point right now I could lift him with a little difficulty up the steps but I don't know how it will be after chemo has set in. It certainly sounds like you did everything I was advised to do and I hope your dog continues to do well.
Is the tear a complete tear? You might be able to put off the surgery until you can get a handle on how you will tolerate the chemo. Have you considered a stair lift? They are not that expensive and can be installed in 1-2 days.
No steps for at least 8 weeks following surgery.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.