recommendations for Krackling phlem and aspiration pneumonia

Jul 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fideo
Hello All,
hoping to get some help. I have a 4.5 month old english bully. He had aspiration pneumonia about 3-4 weeks ago. He had been on 2 antibiotics, Doxycycline and metronitazole? His second cxr from about almost 2weeks ago should improvement but with still some foggynes. They stopped the Doxycycline and continued the Metronitazole. The passed few days his breathing has been become very krackely and he tries to cough something up but ultimatly just swollows it back again. His poop since this has been mushy but not diarrhea. He has been active and his appetite has not been lost. I did notice less water intake but I think thats because of the chicken and rice diet. I've been incorparating the dry food back in the meals a little.
Its been very humid and hot out and I know they already don't do that great in the heat. So the passed 2 days less active with little spurts of activity. hard to tell if its cause of the heat of if he's just not feeling well. I should also say we are near a fire area and ash has been falling.
I called the vet today and waiting for her to call me back. I'm just a worried bully mom and want to know if there is anything else out there I should try? Should I seek a second opinion? Does it take this long to get over pnuemonia?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome.... yes, it takes a long time for them to get over the pneumonia. Try giving her some time in the bathroom with a hot shower running or if you have a vaporizer and let that run near her when she is sleeping.

I'm going to tag a few members with experience or insight

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello All,
hoping to get some help. I have a 4.5 month old english bully. He had aspiration pneumonia about 3-4 weeks ago. He had been on 2 antibiotics, Doxycycline and metronitazole? His second cxr from about almost 2weeks ago should improvement but with still some foggynes. They stopped the Doxycycline and continued the Metronitazole. The passed few days his breathing has been become very krackely and he tries to cough something up but ultimatly just swollows it back again. His poop since this has been mushy but not diarrhea. He has been active and his appetite has not been lost. I did notice less water intake but I think thats because of the chicken and rice diet. I've been incorparating the dry food back in the meals a little.
Its been very humid and hot out and I know they already don't do that great in the heat. So the passed 2 days less active with little spurts of activity. hard to tell if its cause of the heat of if he's just not feeling well. I should also say we are near a fire area and ash has been falling.
I called the vet today and waiting for her to call me back. I'm just a worried bully mom and want to know if there is anything else out there I should try? Should I seek a second opinion? Does it take this long to get over pnuemonia?

Here's my little story when I got Nyala 18 months ago.....like yours she was coughing at the end and had green guk coming out of nose, eyes, mouth.....this recipe "really works!" Maintenance is the key for any dog.

When I bought Nyala home at 3 months old, she was doing fine. At 5 months she caught a cold had to be put on antibiotics for 7 days**she had green snots, guk coming out of her nose n eyes 24/7 I have a diffuser ultrasonic ionizer and I decided to do my own mix that I use for my breathing when I get all stuffed up at night. My diffuser is on all day n night. Has a timer. It took 2 days for all to clear Nyala's cold n guk. I put the diffuser towards her kennel while she was sleeping. I swear it worked better and faster than her pills. BUT I still gave her the antibiotics.*Respiratory/Colds (In the diffuser. Cup size in diffuser is about 1/2cup)This was for her nights but you can also use daytime. I leave it all day also so when she's roaming around the house she gets to clear her lungs. Again I have a timer on mine. 3 drops of Eucalyptus 3 drops of Peppermint 3 drops of Lavender 2 drops of Lemon. Oil and water DO NOT mix why you need a diffuser that is ultrasonic ionizer cause the vibration is so fast it breaks the oils in the water. If you put oils in your bath you need a carrier which means like a teaspoon of honey or*coconut oil*n mix it in then put it under running water.*

Follow this link it will help your little guy!!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If he's still crackly he should get another x ray and maybe ultrasound. Occasionally after pneumonia you can develop an infection in the area between the lungs and the chest wall. This condition is called empyema. This needs to be drained by a chest tube, or a surgery called thoracotomy..

Sometimes it could be just persistent pneumonia. A more common antibiotic would be amoxicillin/clavulanic acid if he still needs antibiotics.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If he's still active and his appetite has not been lost well that's a good sign.*And yes any home cook meals your dog will drink less. See what your vet says. Btw any news on that? I would start the diffuser immediately to open up his lungs to un-clogged them. Im telling you it works! Im not the only one that did it either as it worked for their furballs too.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
The gang has you covered. I also second some time in the bathroom with a hot shower running as the steam will help to break up what is left.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would take him back to the vet, if he were mine. Don't like to fool with pneumonia-or chest congestion. In the meantime, you could also try giving him a squirt of lemon juice. My last gal has mucous(white) trouble, gave a squirt, and up came a good bit of flegm.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The gang has you covered. I also second some time in the bathroom with a hot shower running as the steam will help to break up what is left.

Exactly what I was going to say. Steam is the best at breaking it up. Sounds like it's loosening already though

Most Reactions