SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
Hi All - I have a five year old male bully (Gunner) and we recently got a brand new bulldog puppy named Cooper who is now 7 months. My husband and I are at our wits end and need some information/advice from more experienced Bulldog owners.

They are constantly going at each other... at first we thought it was just an adjustment period but itā€™s been 5 months now and they are always at it. Gunner is constantly trying to hump or lick Coopers genitals and Cooper is always taunting Gunner by biting him... going after his ears or the loose skin around his neck. It feels like we are always breaking them up. We use a squirt bottle to stop the incident but then they are right back at it. There is no peace unless they are separated (I have crates upstairs and downstairs) or they are sleeping. Gunner could sleep all day, but Cooper just keeps going and going. I try to tire him out... treat finding toys, licking mats, multiple walks throughout the day (at least 5 to 7 times a day).... throwing the ball outside sessions, throwing the ball inside sessions, chew toys galore (antlers/nylbones).

Please tell me this is a phase and will pass for both of them??? Iā€™m the one that wanted a second dog and my husband is starting to get really irritated with the situation. We had an 8 session training schedule with a positive reinforcement trainer to teach Cooper the basics. Iā€™m wondering if it is worth engaging him again to see if he can work with both boys and get this behavior in check. Iā€™m not looking for cuddle buddies here... I just want Cooper to stop biting on Gunner and I want Gunner to stop humping Cooper all the time... HELP!!!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There is a teenage phase they go through which is usually around 10 months... that could be some of if, but my question would be, is the biting and pullingā€” play or more like aggression?

I would video some of the behavior and re-engage the trainer to evaluate the situation and tell you how to address it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree... this is probably just growing pains, but sometimes having 2 males can be difficult. I have a male/female mix and my female is UBER alpha... it can be troublesome.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree... this is probably just growing pains, but sometimes having 2 males can be difficult. I have a male/female mix and my female is UBER alpha... it can be troublesome.

She is not Uber alpha... she is spitfire BEEOCHY!!! [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Humping is usually a sign of dominance. My 6 year old Frenchie will do it to Louie while they are in the middle of a play session. Curious as well if the biting is just playing or actual aggression. Bulldogs tend to play more rough than other breeds and it could sound and look like they are fighting but they are really just playing.

OP
SMammers816

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
Iā€™ll try and get a few videos and post them for your thoughts. I really appreciate your time.

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
I am having the same problem with Bam Bam. Thought a new puppy would be fun for Pebbles. Constant following her around biting her ear, smelling her bottom, just relentless.

Then there are the fights after Pebbles has had enough

We are at the point of thinking that rehoming her will be necessary.

Bam Bam went to the trainers house yesterday for a 2 week bootcamp.

2 Females...

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
I got a shock collar for Bam Bam, set on very low, I tested it on myself.

I say no, then vibrate.
I say no, vibrate, then shock. Feels like a shock you get in winter when you touch something metal after walking on carpet.

It works, just have to be consistent.

But the harmony in the house is gone... Like you we are always on edge waiting on the next fight.

Rod52

Feb 26, 2015
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie
I got a shock collar for Bam Bam, set on very low, I tested it on myself.

I say no, then vibrate.
I say no, vibrate, then shock. Feels like a shock you get in winter when you touch something metal after walking on carpet.

It works, just have to be consistent.

But the harmony in the house is gone... Like you we are always on edge waiting on the next fight.

Are the shock collars safe for Bulldogs ?

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
You can adjust the shock. I am at 26 on a scale that goes up to 131.

It is my last resort.

If you get one, but a good one, not a cheap petco one.

Like I said it is just like a shock you get in winter from static.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have a dogtra . Made especially for teaching a dog to hunt game. I basically used it for my GS on our walks. You will pay more but itā€™s designed differently n can be shocked like 100ā€™s of yards to a mile further down. Also the web site teaches you how to use it, what purpose is it for etc... as it has different collars for different purposes.

https://www.dogtra.com/

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a dogtra . Made especially for teaching a dog to hunt game. I basically used it for my GS on our walks. You will pay more but itā€™s designed differently n can be shocked like 100ā€™s of yards to a mile further down. Also the web site teaches you how to use it, what purpose is it for etc... as it has different collars for different purposes.

https://www.dogtra.com/

I used Dogtra for Banks... Andy is spot on too

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Are the shock collars safe for Bulldogs ?

I have a shock collar for Louie as well. He doesn't get into fights with Jax but he gets ramped up when people come to the house.

Rod52

Feb 26, 2015
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie
I didnā€™t know about the Dogtra I bought a regular shock collar on Amazon . I hope this one is good IMG_1666.jpg

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.