2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The boys continue to do very well!

We are off of the mackerel and on beef . Mackerel did not agree with them, Lambeau's ears became dirty and Cheli was chewing and licking his paws.

We are only three days in on the beef so it will be a few days before I see any type of positive of negative impact.

Some positive changes I am still seeing:

Lambeau's coat is getting softer and thicker... his SFA (seasonal alopecia) is all gone. I can still see where it was, but the fur is all back and the patches are less noticeable. I know where they were so I can see the difference, but others can not tell at all.

Cheli -- his bad breath is totally gone and his coat is shiny and softer, not as course as it was.

Cheli was always full of energy, but I see more of it throughout the day as oppose to just in spurts. Usually both boys will nap here and there on Saturday/Sunday's when we are at home, but I'm seeing them more awake, entertaining themselves with bones or toys and playing with each other... not looking for our interaction. Now, I am not saying they are not still bulldogs, but I o see some level of change in energy level. they still LOVE to sleep, but normally if we do not play with them, they would just nap... now I am seeing small session of self play. Not sure it is due to food change, but something has made that impact.

One ting I am not seeing any change/improvement .. Lambeau's folds, they are still very wet and dark. MAYBE the negative of the mackerel... but I'm not sure. hoping to see some change with beef or going back to the duck.

More to come.... beef for two weeks and then back to duck.

396fe712bf61864a986a9a08c8b70621.jpg

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
OMG!! I LITERALLY just signed on with the intention of looking up info on raw/cooking for our babies!! Your post was THE FIRST one i saw. It's a sign! I have been thinking of going this route for quite a while now, but feel very overwhelmed by all the "calculations" of it all.
I had a little girls night at my house last night and my neighbor just started with her 2 dogs and she made me feel soooo much better about it all. She started out with an all protein switch at first for a few weeks and she is slowly introducing carbs into their diet now. She did the switch due to allergies/yeast.
Penny doesn't have much of a problem, but Lockjaw does. He's been on apoquel for about a year and nothing I do helps to get him off. My vet thinks its environmental, but he's only itchy on his face and he has 1 fold under his right eye that stays dark. His nose fold isn't too bad at all. But without the apoquel he will scratch his face raw. I just don't want to continue him on apolquel for the rest of his life.

How did you start out?

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG!! I LITERALLY just signed on with the intention of looking up info on raw/cooking for our babies!! Your post was THE FIRST one i saw. It's a sign! I have been thinking of going this route for quite a while now, but feel very overwhelmed by all the "calculations" of it all.
I had a little girls night at my house last night and my neighbor just started with her 2 dogs and she made me feel soooo much better about it all. She started out with an all protein switch at first for a few weeks and she is slowly introducing carbs into their diet now. She did the switch due to allergies/yeast.
Penny doesn't have much of a problem, but Lockjaw does. He's been on apoquel for about a year and nothing I do helps to get him off. My vet thinks its environmental, but he's only itchy on his face and he has 1 fold under his right eye that stays dark. His nose fold isn't too bad at all. But without the apoquel he will scratch his face raw. I just don't want to continue him on apolquel for the rest of his life.

How did you start out?

It is a sign!!

I played with and tested the boys for a few months with one meal of Primal duck (frozen)... they were doing well and LOVED it. They actually showed more interest in the raw and totally knew when they were getting the good stuff and not the kibble.

I was looking/researching to do myself and then one day a guy I used to buy from for Nitschke and Banks.. his name finally popped into my head. Found him on FB and there was the website link. at this point, I order once a month, it is made to order, frozen and shipped to my door with 48 hours of ordering. I am still testing which protein will work best for them, but duck seems the be in the lead.

her is a chart someone posted and there are many here no that make their own raw or use Honest Kitchen.... amazing all the information now available is making it easier to understand raw and do yourself.

f7e0336d3bd765f94c55b232a6abd5ae.jpg

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Thank you! Whats your cost comparison from kibble to raw? I already spend about $70 a month on food plus, $55 on his apoquel. I think im going to get stuff today, prep it out and start slow through the week. Do you give them the food frozen or thawed? Also, could you share the sight you order from?

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! Whats your cost comparison from kibble to raw? I already spend about $70 a month on food plus, $55 on his apoquel. I think im going to get stuff today, prep it out and start slow through the week. Do you give them the food frozen or thawed? Also, could you share the sight you order from?

I order about 45 lbs of food, a little more than I need for a month. And, including shipping I pay about $140.00.
Lambeau was 58 lbs when I started and only gets 2/3 of a cup... he is still holding at that weight too.
I thaw the bag in the frig overnight and that is the food for the next day

I'll PM you the sight, they are located in PA and ship all over country, but shipping will be much more for you since I am local, it is only $15. You might be able to find a local source if you research FB raw sights or the web itself.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Try a local pet food store to get your frozen raw- they usually are the best places.
It will work out cheaper to buy in bulk compared to patties or 1 oz medallions.
I buy 2 pound bars, semi thaw in fridge for about 8 hr, divide into the portions I want, then refreeze.
How much does your dog weigh?

I buy ground frozen dog food which has some vegetables added to the meat , but I'll still add turmeric ( and ground pepper or a commercial product with bioperene ) , coconut oil , kelp https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Powder-Pound/dp/B004XIS14M/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1517169703&sr=8-1&keywords=starwest+botanicals+kelp etc.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My dog Honey right now is getting frozen raw in morning and Carna4 kibble in evening. Her paw licking is about same now as before when she was just on dehydrated raw, but her one ear that gave her problems all summer and seemed to get better after the frost is now getting increased dirt. When I finish my bag of Carna4 I'm going to switch to just frozen raw and see if her ear improves.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
That is fantastic news!!! Raw really is the best! Starting tomorrow, Louie will be getting raw in the pm, still Fromm in the am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is a shot of Lambeau breakfast... Lewis is jealous and sent this to his sister saying 'dogs eat better than him'. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

b07bb1113428b94f67acfb05e37073de.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is a shot of Lambeau breakfast... Lewis is jealous and sent this to his sister saying 'dogs eat better than him'. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

b07bb1113428b94f67acfb05e37073de.jpg

What are all the extra thing-a-ma-bobbies in there with it? How many ounces is he getting per meal? Louie isn't full grown yet so I am supposed to feed 2% of his estimated adult weight. I went with 65 pounds but I honestly have no idea. Tonight he starts raw in the pm and I did 10.4 ounces. That just seems like so much.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What are all the extra thing-a-ma-bobbies in there with it? How many ounces is he getting per meal? Louie isn't full grown yet so I am supposed to feed 2% of his estimated adult weight. I went with 65 pounds but I honestly have no idea. Tonight he starts raw in the pm and I did 10.4 ounces. That just seems like so much.

I SUCK with math... Lewis figured it out, Buttboy gets 2/3 cup.

The thingymabobbies are Stella and Chewey dehydrated banana, blueberries and strawberries. I want to keep treats the same protein so I bought a bag of the duck meal toppers and these are in there...

https://www.stellaandchewys.com/dog-food/meal-mixer-superblends

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We abandoned raw food and turned to Acana (which admittedly works very well) but looking at Lambeau's breakfast and the raw feeding chart, I am tempted to try again. Castor's problem was not what he ate but what came out of him...

Great to see your beautiful boys!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I SUCK with math... Lewis figured it out, Buttboy gets 2/3 cup.

The thingymabobbies are Stella and Chewey dehydrated banana, blueberries and strawberries. I want to keep treats the same protein so I bought a bag of the duck meal toppers and these are in there...

https://www.stellaandchewys.com/dog-food/meal-mixer-superblends

How much does Lambeau weigh? 10 ounces per meal for Louie seems like an awful lot. Heā€™s 55.4 pounds right now but not even 1 year yet so I assume heā€™s still growing. And I totally guessed at the 65 pound adult weight. Maybe I should drop the amount a little. I donā€™t want him becoming overweight.

And donā€™t worry, I had to have someone else do the math for me!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How much does Lambeau weigh? 10 ounces per meal for Louie seems like an awful lot. Heā€™s 55.4 pounds right now but not even 1 year yet so I assume heā€™s still growing. And I totally guessed at the 65 pound adult weight. Maybe I should drop the amount a little. I donā€™t want him becoming overweight.

And donā€™t worry, I had to have someone else do the math for me!

He is 58lbs... he gets 3% of body weight which Lewis figured to be the 2/3 cup

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.