Raw suppliers in UK?

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Hey all.
I'm considering switching to raw as suggested by a few of you and i've seen nothing but positive things from bullies that eat raw.

Peppa was on chicken kibble before we adopted her so we kept her on it for a few months. She also had raw chicken wings and 80/20 ground beef from supermarket together with her kibble when she lived with the breeders we adopted her from. We kept her on the beef but not chicken. I've switch to home cooked food and she's doing fine with it. No chicken because of possible allergy issues from the chicken kibble. However, as noted on @izstigspunks thread i might try raw chicken.

Because i live in the UK are there any members here who can recommend places to buy from? We do not have much freezer space and the aprtment is pretty small to get another freezer.

Does the raw meat have to be for dogs or are we okay to just buy supermarket meats (taking into consideration the sodium content and additives etc). Is it true that raw meat for dogs is safer because the bacteria content is more controlled compared to supermarket meat for people?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Do you have any butchers near you? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy from them plus better quality meat? I am not talking about going in and buying a roast but offcut stew meat etc.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hey all.
I'm considering switching to raw as suggested by a few of you and i've seen nothing but positive things from bullies that eat raw.

Peppa was on chicken kibble before we adopted her so we kept her on it for a few months. She also had raw chicken wings and 80/20 ground beef from supermarket together with her kibble when she lived with the breeders we adopted her from. We kept her on the beef but not chicken. I've switch to home cooked food and she's doing fine with it. No chicken because of possible allergy issues from the chicken kibble. However, as noted on @izstigspunks thread i might try raw chicken.

Because i live in the UK are there any members here who can recommend places to buy from? We do not have much freezer space and the aprtment is pretty small to get another freezer.

Does the raw meat have to be for dogs or are we okay to just buy supermarket meats (taking into consideration the sodium content and additives etc). Is it true that raw meat for dogs is safer because the bacteria content is more controlled compared to supermarket meat for people?

For Raw diet, I think Bella and Duke is made in UK, I was looking to see if there was raw diets available in UK, but since Iā€™m in Canada I donā€™t know for sure. Iā€™m sure there is more, I canā€™t remember.

Oh and another raw company in UK:

BJā€™s raw pet food, it is a beef based diet that consists of the meat as well as organs.

When I started my dog on raw, and since he has severe allergies, I used Turkey instead of chicken, cause Turkey is a great alternative for chicken allergy dogs.

I personally would get the raw meat from the grocery store as there is more bacteria i am pretty sure and thatā€™s meant to be cooked, I always buy raw dog food pre-made with the organs and bone already in. Some butchers will make raw dog food with the organs and bone already in, but I would look around online in your area for raw dog food and also look up butchers in your area.

I avoid any squash, and starchy ingredients like sweet potatoes in the raw diet cause dogs with allergies can be allergies or sensitive to it, and dogs have no requirements for carbs, but some vegetables are good.

Keep us updated

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@1Chumly gave great advice. Ive visited UK a few times n you guys have great corner butchers. Some might cater to dog food. Drop in and ask.

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
I live in uk and use nutriment I get it from local pet store. Just a quick google and you can get natures menu from pets at home. Iā€™m sure there are suppliers who will do mail order

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm in the US. I feed my dogs butcher shop meat (just like a regular grocery store but is mostly the meat section). I choose the butcher shop rather than the regular grocery because, like you said, the cuts that you can get for cheap at the regular grocery are injected with broth, whereas you can get cheap cuts at the butcher shop without this trickery and they also sell "exotic" meats like quail or rabbit etc. Although, when I'm out of butcher shop meat, I go ahead and grab some meat from Walmart.
Anyway, I would try looking up local butchers first or some co-ops (this has become popular with the organic crowd) or even Prey-Model Raw groups in your area.
Raw meat for dogs is not safer than human-grade meat in the US. They have very different FDA regulations so what is marked unfit for human consumption can be passed to the pet industry.
As far as bacteria - note that dogs have a lot more acidic digestive systems than humans so they can eat out of the garbage can or drink out of the toilet and not get sick which is mainly why the pet industry can use meat by-products from the human food industry.

Last edited:

Stephr90

Jun 12, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hey I feed all 3 of my fur babies raw as my oldest is allergic to nearly everything :( poor wee guy. I have seen a huge difference from switching to raw from kibble in him he doesnt get flare ups anymore and hasnt needed steriods since switching. I use a company called totally natural check them out on Facebook. Stay away from chicken as its high in omega 6 which promotes swelling and is bad for allergies. Make sure all raw meat has been frozen for atleast 3 days to kill bacteria and if using pork it needs to be frozen for 3 weeks to kill of any parasites. Hope this helps.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Thanks for your replies.
I made the switch a week ago to nutriment Because it was the most convenient for us to get.
Bad news - she was fine at first but starting yesterday she is throwing up. Not while sheā€™s eating but at random times. Today sheā€™s had a rough night. Throwing up throughout the night.

As for the food I had Chosen the salmon and turkey because I thought it will be best for her. She was on home cooked before and I just switched to raw. Her main meat was beef before with smaller portion of pork (About 80% beef and 20% pork).
I noticed after switching that she was pooping more frequently and her stools were a lot more lighter in Color and lighter in weight. They were also hard and dry.
sheā€™s drinking alot less water and I canā€™t get her to drink. She drinks coconut water but I didnā€™t want to give her too much of it.
sheā€™s not given anything else in the form of treats.

any suggestions? I will have to cook her something tomorrow to have a break from this raw food.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks for your replies.
I made the switch a week ago to nutriment Because it was the most convenient for us to get.
Bad news - she was fine at first but starting yesterday she is throwing up. Not while sheā€™s eating but at random times. Today sheā€™s had a rough night. Throwing up throughout the night.

As for the food I had Chosen the salmon and turkey because I thought it will be best for her. She was on home cooked before and I just switched to raw. Her main meat was beef before with smaller portion of pork (About 80% beef and 20% pork).
I noticed after switching that she was pooping more frequently and her stools were a lot more lighter in Color and lighter in weight. They were also hard and dry.
sheā€™s drinking alot less water and I canā€™t get her to drink. She drinks coconut water but I didnā€™t want to give her too much of it.
sheā€™s not given anything else in the form of treats.

any suggestions? I will have to cook her something tomorrow to have a break from this raw food.

The food sounds good. Some dogs vomit at times when their adjusting to the new food. You can give Probiotics to her which would be beneficial.
Do they make a beef recipe for the raw food?

For the pooping, no need to worry about that, she is getting rid of the old food, and raw fed dogs poop less each time they go, thatā€™s because they absorb all the nutrients in the food, and there is very minimal waste, thatā€™s why itā€™s less weight. Also itā€™s normal for it to be white or lighter Color, again thatā€™s cause they absorb all the nutrients and the bone in the food is what makes it white sometimes, which is normal on a premade balanced raw diet. They should be hard and dry too, some dogs have it like that and some donā€™t but it is normal.

Also, no need to worry she is drinking a lot less water, dogs fed a raw diet drink very little water, thatā€™s because the moisture in the raw diet keeps them hydrated. When they are given dry food like kibble, they are in constant dehydration because the moisture gets pulled from the kidneys and liver and their body works harder, even if they drink 3 cups of water with dry food, that is used after the moisture gets pulled from their organs and being in constant dehydration.

Dogs on raw diet get the moisture they need and that eases the workload of the organs and their body cause the moisture is actually being absorbed and they are not in constant dehydration.
My dogs donā€™t drink more than 1/2 cup of water total from the water dish unless they race around and play hard, but thatā€™s normal for them to not need to drink.

My suggestion would be a probiotic for her to hopefully not vomit from adjusting to the new food. I use adored beast brand Guy Soothe if any of my dogs have a ā€˜offā€™ day, vomit or anything, I keep it in the fridge at all times.

Bone broth is also good for their gut.

Keep us updated

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
Hi @Bulldog2001
here is link to the food

yes they do have beef. Should I switch to it for now and slowly introDuce the salmon and turkey?

I read that about the reduced water intake and the stools but she passed stools a lot less on her cooked diet.

i will get some probiotics for her today.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi @Bulldog2001
here is link to the food

yes they do have beef. Should I switch to it for now and slowly introDuce the salmon and turkey?

I read that about the reduced water intake and the stools but she passed stools a lot less on her cooked diet.

i will get some probiotics for her today.

Maybe try the beef as you know she does ok with beef since you were cooking beef for her.

I would try the beef and then re-introduce the Turkey and salmon formula when she improves.

If she is allergic to Turkey for example, she could poop more, but like I said she could just be adjusting to the food. I would see how she does with the beef and then also adding probiotics should help.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
The vomit is mainly white foam with tiny bits of food Today.
but yesterday one time there Was quite a bit of food in the vomit.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
The vomit is mainly white foam with tiny bits of food Today.
but yesterday one time there Was quite a bit of food in the vomit.

How much Raw food are you giving her per day?

The vomit you describe sounds like she is adjusting to the food, some dogs do that and some donā€™t. Every dog is different but some probiotics should help.

OP
Peppa-pooch

Peppa-pooch

Apr 5, 2022
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Peppa
How much Raw food are you giving her per day?

The vomit you describe sounds like she is adjusting to the food, some dogs do that and some donā€™t. Every dog is different but some probiotics should help.
2% of her body weight split into two meals.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.