Raw Feeding

kajol7

Feb 11, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kash
I've been thinking about switching Kash to raw feeding. I've been looking around here and seen a few recommendations. Is there a list with recommended online raw feed companies? If not I'll tell you exactly what we are looking for:

Already mixed
Grain Free
No chicken or beef; mainly seafood, kangaroo, duck, vension etc

Also is there a really big difference between freeze dried and raw?

Right now I spend a lot of time at home, but I will be going back into the office in a few months. So I'm looking for something that's healthy but won't take too much time to prepare

Just would like to know what you guys recommend and what has been your experience.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I've been thinking about switching Kash to raw feeding. I've been looking around here and seen a few recommendations. Is there a list with recommended online raw feed companies? If not I'll tell you exactly what we are looking for:

Already mixed
Grain Free
No chicken or beef; mainly seafood, kangaroo, duck, vension etc

Also is there a really big difference between freeze dried and raw?

Right now I spend a lot of time at home, but I will be going back into the office in a few months. So I'm looking for something that's healthy but won't take too much time to prepare

Just would like to know what you guys recommend and what has been your experience.
@Cbrugs or @2BullyMama might answer yo on which raw as Iā€™m in Canada. But I do have a question. Why no chicken or beef? Isnā€™t your dog a pup?

OP
kajol7

kajol7

Feb 11, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kash
@Cbrugs or @2BullyMama might answer yo on which raw as Iā€™m in Canada. But I do have a question. Why no chicken or beef? Isnā€™t your dog a pup?
I switched him over to salmon & trout based kibble and his allergies and skin have improved tremendously. I think the ingredients in the royal canine mainly chicken kinda scarred me a bit on the common meats. However I may just need to educate myself more.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
How old is your dog?

Your problem was royal canin. We canā€™t stress it enough in here itā€™s a health issue kibble waiting to happen. Itā€™s all grains. This goes for Science Hill n anything made by Purina.

ā€œIFā€ your dog is a puppy, their bodies hasnā€™t formed to food allergies stage yet. YES thereā€™s exceptions of course but rare n if you bought the dog from a backyard breeder well yes issues. But puppies have a strong immune system cause they got off moms milk which last months. I say this often when we have puppies itā€™s important we introduce all proteins on a rotation to the puppy. Thatā€™s how the puppy grows into adulthood with way less food allergies. Nothing is wrong with chicken. All my dogs Iā€™ve own all ate chicken. Nyala n Jake ate chicken as pups n still to this day. Neither have any food allergies. The trick is to rotate the kibbles if youā€™re going with kibbles after each bag. Stick to one protein per bag to monitor ā€œifā€ any allergies. I feed only raw but as kibbles itā€™s single protein bags from Acana. They simple have a higher quality kibble. If you go raw, itā€™s totally different. You simply canā€™t beat a raw diet. Dogs n cats just thrives on raw. Since you know fish works for your dog n want to give kibbles another try, go with example duck. Add raw organs as a topper. At least they get some raw in a different way.

btw, in one of the attached photos, avoid habanero peppers or youā€™ll have another issue šŸ‘

Attachments

• D29DF2F8-2CAA-479A-9235-E2AC9EC8F922.jpeg
    D29DF2F8-2CAA-479A-9235-E2AC9EC8F922.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 2B570C83-34CB-468F-9E33-41173CE5D639.jpeg
    2B570C83-34CB-468F-9E33-41173CE5D639.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 107
  • F2952429-BB28-4285-AD1D-F540F5AE4C4D.jpeg
    F2952429-BB28-4285-AD1D-F540F5AE4C4D.jpeg
    869.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 1735A079-3C5E-452B-AFB8-3FD1D62013AB.jpeg
    1735A079-3C5E-452B-AFB8-3FD1D62013AB.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 7629CADD-1FA8-4E21-8BD9-FA6D9815BAF9.jpeg
    7629CADD-1FA8-4E21-8BD9-FA6D9815BAF9.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 9EBD02F7-4379-4D31-B4B2-730C21386AFC.jpeg
    9EBD02F7-4379-4D31-B4B2-730C21386AFC.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 135

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I order online from Raw Fed K9 which is prey model and they have free shipping. I also buy and rotate with commercial frozen brands like Steveā€™s, Primal, Northwest Naturals, Stella & Chewyā€™s and Small Batch.

My girl is a show dog and with traveling, still eats kibble but in the mornings I add on some freeze dried raw. She still gets bits of frozen raw here and there, just not 100%. I feed Open Farm and sometimes sheā€™ll get their stew with the kibble as well. I like to mix and match.

OP
kajol7

kajol7

Feb 11, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kash
How old is your dog?

Your problem was royal canin. We canā€™t stress it enough in here itā€™s a health issue kibble waiting to happen. Itā€™s all grains. This goes for Science Hill n anything made by Purina.

ā€œIFā€ your dog is a puppy, their bodies hasnā€™t formed to food allergies stage yet. YES thereā€™s exceptions of course but rare n if you bought the dog from a backyard breeder well yes issues. But puppies have a strong immune system cause they got off moms milk which last months. I say this often when we have puppies itā€™s important we introduce all proteins on a rotation to the puppy. Thatā€™s how the puppy grows into adulthood with way less food allergies. Nothing is wrong with chicken. All my dogs Iā€™ve own all ate chicken. Nyala n Jake ate chicken as pups n still to this day. Neither have any food allergies. The trick is to rotate the kibbles if youā€™re going with kibbles after each bag. Stick to one protein per bag to monitor ā€œifā€ any allergies. I feed only raw but as kibbles itā€™s single protein bags from Acana. They simple have a higher quality kibble. If you go raw, itā€™s totally different. You simply canā€™t beat a raw diet. Dogs n cats just thrives on raw. Since you know fish works for your dog n want to give kibbles another try, go with example duck. Add raw organs as a topper. At least they get some raw in a different way.

btw, in one of the attached photos, avoid habanero peppers or youā€™ll have another issue šŸ‘
He'll be 6months April 9th. So I should be rotating his proteins. Good piece of advice. That's really helpful. The 4th picture is bone marrow, right? Any recommendations on a specific brand? Or just buy some from my local grocery store and feed frozen?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I buy raw from a local company it is made, frozen then shipped to my house.

raw marrow bones I get at the local grocery store some Places call them soup bones

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He'll be 6months April 9th. So I should be rotating his proteins. Good piece of advice. That's really helpful. The 4th picture is bone marrow, right? Any recommendations on a specific brand? Or just buy some from my local grocery store and feed frozen?
Like @2BullyMama said or grocery stores. I feed them from frozen especially that age as theyā€™re teething. Buy them about 4ā€ long since heā€™s only 6months old.

OP
kajol7

kajol7

Feb 11, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kash
We've decided to try THK and will be rotating every month as recommended. I found a cool dog store near my home that sells frozen raw marrow bones. Thank you all for the free advice lol

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
So, in all the 10 years that my dogs have been on raw, I found that the stuff in the meat section of the grocery store and especially at the butcher shop (like a grocery store except the entire store is the meat section) comes out to be much cheaper on the average than buying raw at the pet store.

The prep needed is no more than the time you spend on your own food, and you don't have to do any cooking.

chauncey_pancakes

Apr 20, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Chauncey
We have tried every store brand & holistic brand dry and wet food, he is 12 years old now. We've seen a dermatologist, allergist, ER Visits, injections, and allergy medications such as Apoquel over several years. All of which has helped but the side effects/cost/results did not work out for us. We have ruled out neurological conditions from seizures, kidney/liver disease, blood disease etc.

We have been using The Farmers Dog since Feb 2022 and i have noticed instant results with his weight and allergies. My dog has lost 5 pounds so far and is now excited about food. His GI/stool has improved and his energy is up. His dry eye has improved by over 75% IMO and skin, paws, ears have been great. This this was our absolutely last option due to the $$, but noticed results within 2 to 3 days. You take a quiz based on his breed/age/conditions and it is shipped to you flash-frozen. You thaw it out 12 hours before and one packet lasts you 2 days usually depending on the dog. I tried the trial version and incorporated his dry kibble for several weeks to monitor his status. I don't think i would have used this method when he was younger since his condition was not as bad but in his senior year i do think it is worth it.

I'm not sure if fresh food is the way for your dog but maybe this can give you some insight for your dog's nutrition treatment.

Good luck and wishing you all the best for your pal!

OP
kajol7

kajol7

Feb 11, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kash
We have tried every store brand & holistic brand dry and wet food, he is 12 years old now. We've seen a dermatologist, allergist, ER Visits, injections, and allergy medications such as Apoquel over several years. All of which has helped but the side effects/cost/results did not work out for us. We have ruled out neurological conditions from seizures, kidney/liver disease, blood disease etc.

We have been using The Farmers Dog since Feb 2022 and i have noticed instant results with his weight and allergies. My dog has lost 5 pounds so far and is now excited about food. His GI/stool has improved and his energy is up. His dry eye has improved by over 75% IMO and skin, paws, ears have been great. This this was our absolutely last option due to the $$, but noticed results within 2 to 3 days. You take a quiz based on his breed/age/conditions and it is shipped to you flash-frozen. You thaw it out 12 hours before and one packet lasts you 2 days usually depending on the dog. I tried the trial version and incorporated his dry kibble for several weeks to monitor his status. I don't think i would have used this method when he was younger since his condition was not as bad but in his senior year i do think it is worth it.

I'm not sure if fresh food is the way for your dog but maybe this can give you some insight for your dog's nutrition treatment.

Good luck and wishing you all the best for your pal!
Thank you for the insight! I started him on The Honest Kitchen which heā€™s been eating for a few weeks now. He seems to really love it. His coat and skin both seem to have improved. Not sure if itā€™s the food but either way I feel more confident about meal time for him.

Members online

No members online now.