Raw Feeding

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Calling all my raw feeders!!!

I am still having issues with my poor Nikolas. I started him on rabbit and he did great, his nose looked healthy, his folds went from being extremely raw to clearing up and he grew his fur back, his tear stains went away. He was on rabbit for a little over a month and then I started incorporating other things and things went south, more specifically he got these red/dry/flaky bumps all over his back. So I am now back to rabbit and starting all over, itā€™s been about 3 weeks and the bumps arenā€™t as bad as before but he still has some. I mean he went from being covered in them to having about 6-8 and his nose looks awful. Iā€™m just wondering why he did so good on rabbit and now allot seems he may be struggling on rabbit too? Is that possible?

E8A76E2D-0CE1-4C13-A80F-13B78C7DDA20.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What were you incorporating? How old is he?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Have you ruled out environmental allergies?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have not. Would this mean getting him allergy tested?

You have another thread going on elsewhere. Have you read the other thread?

If youā€™re talking about the redness on that photo, Jake had them on his back. What I did is shaved around it, washed it with dawn soap, dry it very well n put NuStock. Yes it will look odd but it will grow back. I would put NuStock everyday for 3-4 days n the redness n little scabby bumps disappeared. Some bleed too. So if itā€™s what Jake had, Use NuStock. I did go to my vet that knows EB n he even said to do this process. They never came back. I also did put him on raw n added a bit more organs but especially tripe. I say this very often n big believer in probiotics. As most knows Iā€™m more on the food side when it comes to vitamins or minerals. I donā€™t use supplements at all. I use the fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies, tripe the green smelly tripe at your pet shop freezer, whole raw wild caught frozen fish at your grocery store, Organic 1st press hemp Oil or EVOO. I donā€™t use coconut oil anymore, been a few yrs. Iā€™ve noticed something odd, my sons give CO to their dogs so that 6dogs in total, not one thrives like my 2 n plus their dogs are not EB. Iā€™m not a big believer in CO n Iā€™m in the food industry. More n more I see studies that doesnā€™t impress me. You need to be careful nowadays when it comes to feed a pet. Itā€™s a billion $ industry n 3/4 what they sell you do not need it. A dog simply needs good clean food. Thatā€™s it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not. Would this mean getting him allergy tested?

If youā€™re talking about the redness on that photo, Jake had them on his back. What I did is shaved around it, washed it with dawn soap, dry it very well n put NuStock. Yes it will look odd but it will grow back. I would put NuStock everyday for 3-4 days n the redness n little scabby bumps disappeared. Some bleed too. So if itā€™s what Jake had, Use NuStock. I did go to my vet that knows EB n he even said to do this process. They never came back. I also did put him on raw n added a bit more organs but especially tripe. I say this very often n big believer in probiotics. As most knows Iā€™m more on the food side when it comes to vitamins or minerals. I donā€™t use supplements at all. I use the fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies, tripe the green smelly tripe at your pet shop freezer, whole raw wild caught frozen fish at your grocery store, Organic 1st press hemp Oil or EVOO. I donā€™t use coconut oil anymore, been a few yrs. Iā€™ve noticed something odd, my sons give CO to their dogs so that 6dogs in total, not one thrives like my 2 n plus their dogs are not EB. Iā€™m not a big believer in CO n Iā€™m in the food industry. More n more I see studies that doesnā€™t impress me. You need to be careful nowadays when it comes to feed a pet. Itā€™s a billion $ industry n 3/4 what they sell you do not need it. A dog simply needs good clean food. Thatā€™s it.

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there, thank you for all of this info. I am only feeding him rabbit right now and I am dropping one capsule in each meal of the "enzymedica digest gold + probiotic," I am also bathing him with "veterinary formula clinical care antiparasitic & antiseborrheic medicated shampoo." The bumps have definitely resided, but of course I want to eliminate the problem as I am sure it is uncomfortable for him. I will try the Nustock cream. I am not going to lie, I started thinking that raw maybe isnt for him and since I am paying about $100 a week just on the rabbit, I was ready to throw in the towel and go back on kibble (even though I dont believe in kibble).

You know, you asked in my last post if we had changed detergent and we actually did and I am super itchy these days myself. So I am wondering if it was never the food and this detergent that I bought only because our regular one was sold out. I feel bad that he is only eating rabbit.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Hi there, thank you for all of this info. I am only feeding him rabbit right now and I am dropping one capsule in each meal of the "enzymedica digest gold + probiotic," I am also bathing him with "veterinary formula clinical care antiparasitic & antiseborrheic medicated shampoo." The bumps have definitely resided, but of course I want to eliminate the problem as I am sure it is uncomfortable for him. I will try the Nustock cream. I am not going to lie, I started thinking that raw maybe isnt for him and since I am paying about $100 a week just on the rabbit, I was ready to throw in the towel and go back on kibble (even though I dont believe in kibble).

You know, you asked in my last post if we had changed detergent and we actually did and I am super itchy these days myself. So I am wondering if it was never the food and this detergent that I bought only because our regular one was sold out. I feel bad that he is only eating rabbit.

It is not the food.

And, like we have told you on that other thread, putting a dog on just rabbit is not good for him. As a matter of fact, not to be dramatic but realistic - it can kill him.

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
It is not the food.

And, like we have told you on that other thread, putting a dog on just rabbit is not good for him. As a matter of fact, not to be dramatic but realistic - it can kill him.

I totally understand that and I hate to only be feeding him rabbit at the moment. I plan to start incorporating other things one at a time starting Monday.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I totally understand that and I hate to only be feeding him rabbit at the moment. I plan to start incorporating other things one at a time starting Monday.

Just to clarify, rabbit is so lean, it can cause weight loss and if the only thing he is eating it can happen quickly. It is great you are adding in start with duck which I think you did say you were going to... that will add so calories and balance out the rabbit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Itā€™s ok what youā€™re doing. You started over to get him on track. Like mentioned earlier, add slowly ONE other meat at a time. Monitor it. If it works for a few weeks, remove it n add another one. I personally would stay off heavy meats like beef, pork for time being. Harder to digest. Skin issues is usually caused by a weak immune system. Why I mentioned to you start with one raw organ. Btw, is he on meds?

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Itā€™s ok what youā€™re doing. You started over to get him on track. Like mentioned earlier, add slowly ONE other meat at a time. Monitor it. If it works for a few weeks, remove it n add another one. I personally would stay off heavy meats like beef, pork for time being. Harder to digest. Skin issues is usually caused by a weak immune system. Why I mentioned to you start with one raw organ. Btw, is he on meds?

He is not on meds. When he had the first outbreak, I took him to the vet and he was given antibiotics. They did go away but when he was done with the meds they came right back. This was when he was covered in this bumps, now he has very few, less than 5/6. I am currently giving him enzymedica digest gold + probiotic with each meal.

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Just to clarify, rabbit is so lean, it can cause weight loss and if the only thing he is eating it can happen quickly. It is great you are adding in start with duck which I think you did say you were going to... that will add so calories and balance out the rabbit

I bought some duck today, would you advise that I mix it with his rabbit or give him just the duck?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I bought some duck today, would you advise that I mix it with his rabbit or give him just the duck?

I would alternate

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.