Raw Expensive!

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I cant believe how expensive raw feeding is. I am feeding my dog raw Vital Essentials and its $10 a day to feed her. Thats $3,650 per year. Even the Raw Fed K9 is still expensive at $6 per day. We might be giving Hill's z/d another go. I cant understand why they dont make a kibble that is pea, grain and carb free and also good on your wallet. Zignature is great except for the one ingredient that they put in there which is potatoes - why cant they remove the potatoes?!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
They need the carb product to form the kibble.

When I had 3 dogs, I budgeted $2/lb - can be done when bulk buying at the butcher shop. All 3 dogs consume 4 lbs a day which brings me to a $8/day budget for 3 dogs. I can make this budget even tighter if I don't indulge in the rare meat types - quail, duck, cornish hens, lamb, etc.

But after Angus got diagnosed with cancer, I don't even look at budget anymore. I get him the grass-fed free-range stuff which is ridiculously expensive. $8/lb for ground beef! Zooooeymama! We were told he has only a month left last July. It's already February and he's at the groomers right now getting spoiled with a speshy spesh!

And so when the public school lunch asks for $1.50 per lunch I wonder... what's in that school lunch? Eeek.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I didn't think Zignatute had potatoes in their product. They do have peas, however.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I didn't think Zignatute had potatoes in their product. They do have peas, however.
Yes. Thats what I meant, peas. I spent a few hours going through Chewy and finding that almost every kibble or wet dog food has potatoes, starches, peas, grains or carbs items. We are going to try Purina HA hydrolyzed vet rx salmon. Although, I am worried as it has soy protein in it. We tried the Hill's hydrolyzed rx but she vomitted.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes. Thats what I meant, peas. I spent a few hours going through Chewy and finding that almost every kibble or wet dog food has potatoes, starches, peas, grains or carbs items. We are going to try Purina HA hydrolyzed vet rx salmon. Although, I am worried as it has soy protein in it. We tried the Hill's hydrolyzed rx but she vomitted.
Try Acana single protein as some donā€™t have green peas. That being said, is it just peas or also legumes? Check their website, click on each bag n select ingredients. You will see not all have peas.

handsomedan

Apr 2, 2018
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dan and Auggie
Have you checked out Grandma Lucy's? My sister recently switched her dogs to that and has been very happy with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Keep in mindā€¦. You will hopefully, in my case we do, have less vets visits, the better their diets the less issues

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Try Acana single protein as some donā€™t have green peas. That being said, is it just peas or also legumes? Check their website, click on each bag n select ingredients. You will see not all have peas.

they all have pumpkin in them which she is allergic to. Keto diet is best but the keto dog food is beef and chicken only which she is allergic to.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Have you checked out Grandma Lucy's? My sister recently switched her dogs to that and has been very happy with it.
grand lucy has potatoes, oats or chickpeas, all of which she is allergic.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I think you're left with the prey-model raw option, also referred to as the franken-prey method. Even if you exclusively go to the meat section of the grocery store for it, it's not gonna cost near $10/day. You can budget $4/day very comfortably.

Okay, there are supposed to be supply chain issues plus inflation and all that junk happening and I have seen prices rise on beef. But, for now, grocery store $4/day is generous for PMR.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Keep in mindā€¦. You will hopefully, in my case we do, have less vets visits, the better their diets the less issues
This is VERY true. At least in my case.
Bully lived to be 13 years old and I only had to take her into the vet once for a UTI not counting her yearly check-up.
Angus is 11 years old with cancer. The only time I took him to the vet other than the yearly check-up was when his eyes started to dull and I had to get him eyedrops and when his hair started to get dull and his stomach got bloated and that's when he got diagnosed with cancer (which cost me over $1K for all the scans and stuff). After the cancer diagnosis, I just had to go a few times to get his pain meds prescription renewed. The vet can't believe he's still alive.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I think I am going to have to do Vital Essentials freeze dried. SOOO EXPENSIVE! WHEW!

But the clean up is easier, and I don't want to deal with fresh raw clean up.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Why donā€™t you do your own keto. Use meat sheā€™s not allergic to. @anatess gave great adviser think we
Why donā€™t you do your own keto. Use meat sheā€™s not allergic to. @anatess gave great advise.
I think I will end up doing just that or maybe a mix of VE and fresh keto. I might need to visit a dietitian to make sure sheā€™s getting the right nutrients. I will need to research the posts to find some good recipes.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I think I will end up doing just that or maybe a mix of VE and fresh keto. I might need to visit a dietitian to make sure sheā€™s getting the right nutrients. I will need to research the posts to find some good recipes.
Donā€™t forget raw marrow bones for essential minerals n fresh herbs/roots. On the antibiotic photo DO AVOID a couple like habanero or youā€™ll have another issue on your hands lol

Attachments

• A0E6D662-8D14-469C-BAC2-FA66D4D563B2.jpeg
    A0E6D662-8D14-469C-BAC2-FA66D4D563B2.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 92F748D8-EF91-46E9-A84F-CE2DA6AFD383.jpeg
    92F748D8-EF91-46E9-A84F-CE2DA6AFD383.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 99

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.