RandR

Feb 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
R....
Post best pics of your rare bulldogs and let's talk about them.:excited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Reminder... no studding or puppy sales on the forums. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
What are "rare" colors and doesn't AKC not allow certain colors or patterns? Are the solid white bully's usually deaf like other breeds? Just curious, I've only been an EBD mom since January, wanting to learn as much as I can.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What are "rare" colors and doesn't AKC not allow certain colors or patterns? Are the solid white bully's usually deaf like other breeds? Just curious, I've only been an EBD mom since January, wanting to learn as much as I can.

Solid white doesnā€™t mean they are all going to be deaf. These colours nowadays been out there for decades n most are all healthy n live a normal life. But yes definitely you canā€™t put them into shows. You know, I totally understand when I read post ā€œbreeders are all for the $ n all backyard breeders. Youā€™ll always have the backyard breeders. Up the the customer to do their research on the breeders. What people are forgetting is that colours or not, the EB is man made. All the issues of breathing they have comes from decades ago way before colours came along. Colours arenā€™t really the issue, itā€™s the transition man made produced. The flat nose, bigger the rope the better, pinning the ears, wider the chest the better etc etc. This isnā€™t just for the EB but tons of other breeds. Mankind needs to stop playing with Mother Nature. When I was a kid dogs use to live like 15 yrs n up. Nowadays 8-13 average. I personally donā€™t think colours will end your dogā€™s life sooner. Like I mentioned, these dogs always had health issues way before colours came along. A lot of good breeders are finally starting to big back the EB like they use to be 100yrs ago. Less rope, longer nose, less chest. Iā€™m all for that. But heh, thatā€™s me n my opinion.

AndyB

Feb 24, 2021
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Here in the UK , the so called rare breeds are not so rare and people are asking a fortune for them, sometimes double the price a normal bully would cost but there is also the health warning that comes with them and the British kennel club will not accept them .

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
It's always been my understanding that the[what's now considered] designer colors were bred out of the Bulldog because of their tendency to be associated with specific genetic defects.
Genetic defects are not common in the breed but certainly not unheard of. I have little to support the assertion of my understanding except for MINI. She is a Black and she has genetic defects we've never seen in any of our personal dogs or any of the rescues(over 1000).

Distichia & Megaesophagus(in the same dog)

MINI3.JPG

I'd say she is a 1 in 1000+ specimen.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Defects or not [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION], 1out of 1000 cuties.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Lynne,
From what I have learned about deaf dogs. Deafness is quite often caused by what they call the Merle gene. If both parents have the Merle gene approximately 1/4 of the offspring will be deaf and they will most likely be white and spotted like a Dalmatian (spots don't show up until later). Mila (the crazy white deaf dog) is white with spots like a dalmatian. She is one of eight puppies. Her white sister was also deaf (=1/4 of the puppies were deaf). We never had her genetically tested but through research we are pretty sure that is why she is deaf. btw deaf dogs can be great dogs. She listens better than some of the other Bullies we have had.
20200307_132807.jpg

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Lynne,
From what I have learned about deaf dogs. Deafness is quite often caused by what they call the Merle gene. If both parents have the Merle gene approximately 1/4 of the offspring will be deaf and they will most likely be white and spotted like a Dalmatian (spots don't show up until later). Mila (the crazy white deaf dog) is white with spots like a dalmatian. She is one of eight puppies. Her white sister was also deaf (=1/4 of the puppies were deaf). We never had her genetically tested but through research we are pretty sure that is why she is deaf. btw deaf dogs can be great dogs. She listens better than some of the other Bullies we have had.
View attachment 120586

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I know with Great Danes, it's very discouraged to breed "merlequin" colored Danes due to genetic issues they pass to their pups. I was told (don't know it it is misinformation or not) that white or mostly white dogs with both white ears are usually deaf. I had somehow obtained a jack russel pup that had both white ears and he was deaf. At the time, my life and the people in it were not prepared to handle a small deaf little puppy and for the lil guy's safety (people kept letting him out of the yard when he was outside, no way to call him back since he couldn't hear and keep him out of the street), I ended up placing him with a single mother who's son was also deaf. I know my alphabet and a few words in sign language, I was able to sign enough to the boy that the dog was just like him and the boy immediately began using sign language to the puppy. I have never in my life seen a little boy so happy! Was soooo adorable! Had my life been less chaotic and the people in my life more respectful and responsible I would have been able to keep the lil guy. Learning more and more about my Shirley Wigglebutt and the bulldog breed characteristics and stubbornness, it doesn't surprise me that your Mila listens better than some of your others! What a treasured gem. She's a beauty for sure!

OP
RandR

RandR

Feb 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
R....
It's always been my understanding that the[what's now considered] designer colors were bred out of the Bulldog because of their tendency to be associated with specific genetic defects.
Genetic defects are not common in the breed but certainly not unheard of. I have little to support the assertion of my understanding except for MINI. She is a Black and she has genetic defects we've never seen in any of our personal dogs or any of the rescues(over 1000).

Distichia & Megaesophagus(in the same dog)

View attachment 120585

I'd say she is a 1 in 1000+ specimen.

Here in the UK , the so called rare breeds are not so rare and people are asking a fortune for them, sometimes double the price a normal bully would cost but there is also the health warning that comes with them and the British kennel club will not accept them .

I agree! There definently has to be a limit on the price. I understand why they charge more for them but sometimes the prices are off the roof.

OP
RandR

RandR

Feb 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
R....

Not exactly. They actually allow to get them registered under AKC but they are not accepted in their shows.
Double merls have a high risk of being deaf bind or even disabled that is why genetically testing us required before doing any*breeding*to end up having healthy puppies. If*breeding*is not tooken seriouse with rare english bulldogs then it has to be a big no no to breed any of them

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Not exactly. They actually allow to get them registered under AKC but they are not accepted in their shows.
Double merls have a high risk of being deaf bind or even disabled that is why genetically testing us required before doing any*breeding*to end up having healthy puppies. If*breeding*is not tooken seriouse with rare english bulldogs then it has to be a big no no to breed any of them

So AKC allows registration but not to show different or the bred for color modern fashion bulldogs. Had no idea about the merles. I am still curious what colors/patterns are considered to be "rare". I know with Great Danes with the the harlequin coloring bred will often result in health issues and deformities. I never planned on breeding any of mine and I had a Merle, 2 harlequins, a blue, and a black. From everything I've read the last 60 years or so of breeding the bulldogs for shorter snouts etc has caused what was originally a pretty healthy breed into our beloved fragile babies today with breathing issues, more pronounced underbite, allergies, skin conditions, food sensitivities etc... I can understand why some people have stated that breeders have ruined the bulldog. I still love em though no matter how wrinkly, how loud they snore, how gassy they are....

OP
RandR

RandR

Feb 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
R....
So AKC allows registration but not to show different or the bred for color modern fashion bulldogs. Had no idea about the merles. I am still curious what colors/patterns are considered to be "rare". I know with Great Danes with the the harlequin coloring bred will often result in health issues and deformities. I never planned on breeding any of mine and I had a Merle, 2 harlequins, a blue, and a black. From everything I've read the last 60 years or so of breeding the bulldogs for shorter snouts etc has caused what was originally a pretty healthy breed into our beloved fragile babies today with breathing issues, more pronounced underbite, allergies, skin conditions, food sensitivities etc... I can understand why some people have stated that breeders have ruined the bulldog. I still love em though no matter how wrinkly, how loud they snore, how gassy they are....

Ya, not sure how but yes it is possible to pass by the color standards that are recorded in the options in AKC when registering. Rare color codes usually considered to be black, tri, blue, lilac and merls. Even if a dog might not show any merle patterns it can still carry it. Also, merle can cause dogs to have blue eyes or bicolor eyes. Merle genetics in English Bulldogs is exactly the same as in any other dog breed. I guess it's a lot more concerning when merle is found in a bulldog do to bulldogs having higher reputation of having health issues.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Ya, not sure how but yes it is possible to pass by the color standards that are recorded in the options in AKC when registering. Rare color codes usually considered to be black, tri, blue, lilac and merls. Even if a dog might not show any merle patterns it can still carry it. Also, merle can cause dogs to have blue eyes or bicolor eyes. Merle genetics in English Bulldogs is exactly the same as in any other dog breed. I guess it's a lot more concerning when merle is found in a bulldog do to bulldogs having higher reputation of having health issues.

Thanks. Every bulldog color sites I've found do list all the colors you mentioned but say nothing about them being rare colors, so I didn't know what colors are considered rare. I do watch my local craigslist on the regular and have seen listings for lilac tri, chocolate merle, and black and whites. I have noticed the lilac does have light and sometimes greenish or blue eyes. Took forever to figure out what color my adopted girl actually is considered. She's kinda oddly colored with black hairs mixed throughout her entire coat, her ears are completely black, and her tail is outlined with black. She's not tan, but not really red either. Her body hair does have massive gold highlights in the sun. However, her color is what I've commonly seen in bulldogs, just took forever to figure out the correct terminology or what a registry would call her coloring. I'm sure she's AKC registered, she was a breeder mill queen that was grossly overbred. At least 5 c sections I could tell from all the scars, 3 regular and 2 side c sections, probably more, but that's all I can definitely count out of it all. Of course breeder surrenders (especially if not voluntarily) don't hand over the registration papers to the rescues. Would just be nice to know more about her and correct terminology to be able to answer people's questions when asked.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree! There definently has to be a limit on the price. I understand why they charge more for them but sometimes the prices are off the roof.

Why do you think they charge more? And why it's OK?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.