Question

Reggie Mamma

Dec 22, 2019
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxie
New Bulldog owner. Question on my bulldogs breathing. Ok she is 11 weeks old. She is an active playful pup. At night she gets a cough. followed by a kind hairball type hack like a cat. She is starting to make the hairball sound during the day also. She eats, drinks, and is active all day long. It has me worried. She was at the vet a week ago and she got an all clear everything is ok. But I'm still worried. A lot can happen to a pup in a week. And she goes again in a few days. Any ideas? Stuff I should be doing?
My French bulldog is just over 1 and he does it all the time Had 2 different vet practices look at him and just say it's normal for them, I still worry though its awful for them!

Adorybull

Dec 15, 2010
Clayton, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Chloe, Izabelle, (Harley & Davie..rainbow bridge)
New Bulldog owner. Question on my bulldogs breathing. Ok she is 11 weeks old. She is an active playful pup. At night she gets a cough. followed by a kind hairball type hack like a cat. She is starting to make the hairball sound during the day also. She eats, drinks, and is active all day long. It has me worried. She was at the vet a week ago and she got an all clear everything is ok. But I'm still worried. A lot can happen to a pup in a week. And she goes again in a few days. Any ideas? Stuff I should be doing?
Yes, sounds like elongated soft palate. Also try to find an experienced vet who uses a laser to do the surgery or a bulldog vet. Very important.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes, sounds like elongated soft palate. Also try to find an experienced vet who uses a laser to do the surgery or a bulldog vet. Very important.

The most important thing is to get a experienced vet with bulldogs and this surgery.

I thought laser was the way to go, but then no one used it because they didn’t have the laser, and I was told they didn’t need to use the laser.

So my bulldog had the surgery, a surgeon did the surgery that has lots of experience with bulldogs and this surgery and he does NOT use the laser, he said it would heal just as fast without laser.

Sure enough it healed really good without the laser, and it healed faster than the nostrils.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Make sure your vet is a knowledgeable when it comes to bulldogs. Not all bulldogs need surgery on their nares or elongated palate. Some vets will say all bulldogs need the surgery and that is not true.

stjoa

May 1, 2017
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Was she coughing when you took her to the vet? Maybe it's kennel cough which can be treated with antibiotics

Most Reactions