Question for people with 2 or more EBs, or an EB and other dogs

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
OK as of 5 weeks ago, Lily got her littermate as a playmate. I was ready for her to have another dog to play with, and our breeder was looking for someone to take her littermate.

Easy peasy!

Well, this is what I am wondering. These two play. HARD. And for a long time. I got them a couple of tug-of-war Kongs today and they've not stopped playing with them. It's 1230 in the morning and they are still running crazy, bouncing off the walls, playing with each other.

Do y'all stop your EBs after a while? I mean, I love that they play well together, but they are getting over exerted, and their breathing sounds like a freight train.

I am not sure how to handle this - do I separate them for a while? Or let them play, and they'll stop when they truly get tired?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I also have siblings that are litter mates, and they can get rough sometimes when playing, I generally will let them play together, as long as its not too rough and they're not hurting each other, but I will usually either separate them if I see that they are getting overly exerted or overheated, and definitely if they are panting really hard or breathing is too fast. They will sometimes just stop on their own and lay down on the floor and rest, but if they don't, I can usually tell them in a firm voice that's enough, go lay down and they will stop. The odd time if they don't, then I will separate them, and crate them until they settle down. I would definitely separate and crate them if it was 12:30 in the morning, and they were still playing hard. They should be tired out at this point and should go to sleep.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes... give them breaks. Most EB's will not know when to to stop, in my opinion, it is part of their make-up, how they are wired... they obsess on things and will keep going till they drop. Take the toy and give a command of sit or down or even place them in their crates for a few mintues to settle themseleves, almost like a time out, but just a breather.... kind of like in boxing.... to your corners kids!

Banks is 9 yrs old and Cheli is 3... when Banks has had it... she lets Cheli know, but not all will do this.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Yep, brutus will run himself ragged if he is not stopped. I gave him his ball one morning and he chewed on it for 12 hrs and ended up with rug burn on his chest from laying on the carpet chewing all day. I generally take their toys away around 8:30pm and give them a bone to chew on to calm down, it always works.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
mine are not siblings, but are only a month apart in age. When they play, its like a tornado in the house. Yup..... normal, and much more fun for the both of them than being an only lonely with just a dumb human for entertainment. LOL

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs have always had "spirts" of rough play-even as pups. Usually it was about 15/20 minutes at a time, and then they would nap! They still have a roughhouse at night-usually just the time there is something on TV that I am trying to watch! Can't hear a thing with all the growling. There bedtime is 8/8:30 so they get their playing in before that. They play rough(sounds horrible) but I can tell if one gets mad and it starts to be a real fight-then I stop them.
they sleep in crates at night-so all is quiet then. If yours do not know when to quit, you will have to decide for them. They could get over-heated, over stressed from too much excitement. You will have to set the limit for them! They need a bedtime just like kids do. (and some limits)

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Mine do this all the time, when they get crazy I put them outside in the backyard and that usually does the trick. If they startup again back outside they go lol

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I have sisters. They were hyper until I made there morning & night walks longer by 10 mins. If you crate them this will also help.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
OK as of 5 weeks ago, Lily got her littermate as a playmate. I was ready for her to have another dog to play with, and our breeder was looking for someone to take her littermate.

Easy peasy!

Well, this is what I am wondering. These two play. HARD. And for a long time. I got them a couple of tug-of-war Kongs today and they've not stopped playing with them. It's 1230 in the morning and they are still running crazy, bouncing off the walls, playing with each other.

Do y'all stop your EBs after a while? I mean, I love that they play well together, but they are getting over exerted, and their breathing sounds like a freight train.

I am not sure how to handle this - do I separate them for a while? Or let them play, and they'll stop when they truly get tired?
All toys go away in our house at 7pm. Otherwise it would be chaos and no relaxing time for anyone, bullies included. My two boys play hard all the time. They wrestle and chase each other alot. Don't be afraid to give them a nap during the day if they dont settle down. I will announce "ok, its nap time" and they go to their kennels for a rest. Maybe 1/2 hour to an hour depending on their level of obnoxiousness! Good luck!

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
OK LOL thanks for all the tips. Toys away at night, and crates for naps during the day.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
OK LOL thanks for all the tips. Toys away at night, and crates for naps during the day.

This will be real important the older they get. They will play until they drop...unfortunately it's not good for them since they can't breath as well as other breeds. Kenneling or separating them for awhile. Get them use to being separated and in crates for naps and night time.

Back in the day I had someone watching Vegas via internet camera while I was at work. She told me that Vegas seemed restless when Orion wasn't in the kennel next to him. That surprised me because they fight and bicker with each other like they were two legged, skin siblings. I thought by kenneling them and putting a couch between then would give them a little more peace and quiet. Good luck!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the gang… you need to give them breaks, especially because of the breathing issues that EB's have. I give my two breaks because Roxie is a senior boxer, and after awhile she can only take a puppy for so long… Lol

julescoffman

Sep 26, 2014
florence sc
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasmine and Ruger
I'm having same problem with my new puppy and my 1yr old jack Russell mix,she is so playful that she won't leave Ruger alone,he's 9weeks old and very playful,but them puppy teeth(shark teeth) hurt! But piper(the non) eb goes back for more,I know it has to hurt,her little neck looks like Freddy Krueger got her! And again she don't care,just wants to play,so I have to separate them when I see Ruger chewing on her! And piper never bites back she just nudges him to get him to play and chase her,she will be glad when them shark teeth fall out!
Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
Thanks, everyone! They both have their own crates and when I try to separate them, Elvis always runs into Lily's crate to be with her. :lol: I monitor it, and if they start acting up again, inside the crate, I pull him out and put him in his own crate.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.