Ljcog89

Apr 1, 2020
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hi all
Iā€™m new to owning a bulldog. I brought a Lilac tri coloured boy today. Iā€™m worried though heā€™s panting a lot when dropping to sleep breathing quite fast and his body is stretched. I can hear him
Breathing when walking around the house or garden and sitting still etc but not raspy just think his nostrils are thin.
Iā€™m more worried about his sleeping. Heā€™s not slept more than 5 minutes the whole times heā€™s been here he seems to be dragging in the air and getting a little restless. Is this normal I need help! I donā€™t want to leave him through the night
Heā€™s 4 months old up to date with vaccinations

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It could be his nares arenā€™t wide enough and/or an elongated palate. I would have him checked by a bulldog knowledgeable vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
I would definitely see a vet as soon as possible that is an expert on bulldogs. Could be nares or even heart related.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all
Iā€™m new to owning a bulldog. I brought a Lilac tri coloured boy today. Iā€™m worried though heā€™s panting a lot when dropping to sleep breathing quite fast and his body is stretched. I can hear him
Breathing when walking around the house or garden and sitting still etc but not raspy just think his nostrils are thin.
Iā€™m more worried about his sleeping. Heā€™s not slept more than 5 minutes the whole times heā€™s been here he seems to be dragging in the air and getting a little restless. Is this normal I need help! I donā€™t want to leave him through the night

Have you spoken to the breeder/owner if the dogs was vet check before buying it? Definitely bring him to a BULLY vet. 4 months old for elongated palate is rare. Also on your profile you feed biscuit? Stick to Acana single protein bags in U.K.

https://www.acanapetfoods.co.uk/

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...hycephalic-dogs-Representative_fig1_302592357

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Has he always had this issue or has this developed recently?
Has he vomited lately? If so, he may have aspirated and have pneumonia.
As Helene stated, enlarged palate rarely presents in puppies but it's not totally out of the question.
He may need to be evaluated for hypoplastic trachea...something he may or may not grow out of.
One way or the other, I recommend a trip to a Bulldog experienced Vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang... a vet visit is needed

Floki

Oct 2, 2021
Country
Spain
Bulldog(s) Names
Floki
Hi all
Hello , I'm experiencing the same thing with my bulldog , we x rayed him and his trachea is very narrow so a enlarge Palate surgery it's on the table also.
Just wondering how did yours get on ? Right now mine has bronchitis.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.