Puppy biting

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Iā€™ve done a lot of reading and generally Brutus is a really good puppy. I know nipping is normal and is apart of having a puppy. Usually he will stop when I say no, even with nipping. But tonight I was playing tug of war with him and after ā€˜winningā€™ the toy, he grabbed my hand. He bit down hard and wouldnā€™t let go. He was growling but thatā€™s normal when heā€™s playing. I was making eye contact which Iā€™m not sure if that added to it? I did what I normally do but this time he wouldnā€™t let go. I had to pull my finger out which led in a good cut (I tried going limp but he continued pulling). After getting my finger away I grabbed him by the scruff and put him on his side. Which he fought and made some awful nosies but after a minute calmed down.

Is this normal behavior? What is an appropriate reaction? Did I go too far putting him on his side? It seemed to go beyond nipping to me...he was playing tug of war with my hand.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™ve done a lot of reading and generally Brutus is a really good puppy. I know nipping is normal and is apart of having a puppy. Usually he will stop when I say no, even with nipping. But tonight I was playing tug of war with him and after ā€˜winningā€™ the toy, he grabbed my hand. He bit down hard and wouldnā€™t let go. He was growling but thatā€™s normal when heā€™s playing. I was making eye contact which Iā€™m not sure if that added to it? I did what I normally do but this time he wouldnā€™t let go. I had to pull my finger out which led in a good cut (I tried going limp but he continued pulling). After getting my finger away I grabbed him by the scruff and put him on his side. Which he fought and made some awful nosies but after a minute calmed down.

Is this normal behavior? What is an appropriate reaction? Did I go too far putting him on his side? It seemed to go beyond nipping to me...he was playing tug of war with my hand.

You did the right thing. Put him on his side till he calms down is surrendering n he knows you have the last word. Now if youā€™re going to play tug a war with a pup n you decided to stop now n then, well heā€™s not ready to stop now n then. Heā€™s a puppy n just wants to play. Not all his fault. But you certainly did the right thing. Donā€™t doubt yourself. If he stops when you tell him as you mentioned heā€™s listening well. I never play tug a war with any dogs. I always find dogs tend to lose it and they forget itā€™s a game or only playtime. Nyala can be aggressive when Duke grabs the toy and both are holding it till one gives up. Issue is neither one gives up n Nyala will snap at Duke. Sheā€™s much better now as sometimes sheā€™ll drop the toy n leave or wait see what Duke will do. Mind you she knows Iā€™m around to. So, yeahhh, donā€™t doubt yourself you know what you have to do.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
You did the right thing. Put him on his side till he calms down is surrendering n he knows you have the last word. Now if youā€™re going to play tug a war with a pup n you decided to stop now n then, well heā€™s not ready to stop now n then. Heā€™s a puppy n just wants to play. Not all his fault. But you certainly did the right thing. Donā€™t doubt yourself. If he stops when you tell him as you mentioned heā€™s listening well. I never play tug a war with any dogs. I always find dogs tend to lose it and they forget itā€™s a game or only playtime. Nyala can be aggressive when Duke grabs the toy and both are holding it till one gives up. Issue is neither one gives up n Nyala will snap at Duke. Sheā€™s much better now as sometimes sheā€™ll drop the toy n leave or wait see what Duke will do. Mind you she knows Iā€™m around to. So, yeahhh, donā€™t doubt yourself you know what you have to do.

I have been wondering if tug of war is just too stimulating for him. He gets so into it and when heā€™s in that mode itā€™s hard to keep him focused and listening. But he also doesnā€™t seem to interested in fetch or going for walks! Itā€™s like the only thing he really seems to love. But heā€™s only 4 months so maybe heā€™ll grow to like walking and fetch.

Heā€™s been hanging on my every word since it happened so I was guessing it got through to him but it helps to have confirmation that I did the right thing. I think weā€™ll either stop tug of war...or at the very least heā€™ll have to let go on command. Heā€™s usually such a sweet boy and has been doing awesome with training, caught me off guard.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have been wondering if tug of war is just too stimulating for him. He gets so into it and when heā€™s in that mode itā€™s hard to keep him focused and listening. But he also doesnā€™t seem to interested in fetch or going for walks! Itā€™s like the only thing he really seems to love. But heā€™s only 4 months so maybe heā€™ll grow to like walking and fetch.

Heā€™s been hanging on my every word since it happened so I was guessing it got through to him but it helps to have confirmation that I did the right thing. I think weā€™ll either stop tug of war...or at the very least heā€™ll have to let go on command. Heā€™s usually such a sweet boy and has been doing awesome with training, caught me off guard.

I personally would concentrate more on other games than tug a war. Heā€™s young he needs to start learning to walk even if he has no interest. Bring a normal toy on his walks and some members like treats. Also getting a bigger ball to play with. They love big balls. My dogs always had a soccer ball.

E562505D-5A48-42F8-9F4C-DF00F9B9C9D5.jpeg

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I personally would concentrate more on other games than tug a war. Heā€™s young he needs to start learning to walk even if he has no interest. Bring a normal toy on his walks and some members like treats. Also getting a bigger ball to play with. They love big balls. My dogs always had a soccer ball.

View attachment 115801

Awww thatā€™s adorable! Iā€™ll have to get him a soccer ball. I have been taking him for walks everyday, he acts like itā€™s a punishment but he at least walks now. I think the weather might have a lot to do with it. We finally had a few sunny warm days and he seemed much more comfortable. I also take him out in public a lot, which he really enjoys. Iā€™ll have to keep working on fetch. Maybe if we stop tug, heā€™ll realize thereā€™s other things in life. Iā€™ve never had a problem trying to get a dog to play, until Brutus. Itā€™s hard getting him interested in normal dog activities.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would not recommend tug-of-war until he is older. Some dogs,even when older get too stimulated. Helene's suggestion is a good one! A jolly ball is also a good one!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I would not recommend tug-of-war until he is older. Some dogs,even when older get too stimulated. Helene's suggestion is a good one! A jolly ball is also a good one!

Just noticed I typed tug a war loll

[MENTION=8008]Maria[/MENTION]ra if he loves the public, thereā€™s a good start for him. If you go to dog parks stRt with the ones ā€œon leashā€ so he gets use to a leash n walks. And yes Jolly balls is on my list for this summer. A soccer ball is great too. I buy them in garage sales as I they can go through them fast. This soccer ball on the photo, idk why itā€™s still alive. My GS also had it. Must be made of old thick leather lol

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Just noticed I typed tug a war loll

[MENTION=8008]Maria[/MENTION]ra if he loves the public, thereā€™s a good start for him. If you go to dog parks stRt with the ones ā€œon leashā€ so he gets use to a leash n walks. And yes Jolly balls is on my list for this summer. A soccer ball is great too. I buy them in garage sales as I they can go through them fast. This soccer ball on the photo, idk why itā€™s still alive. My GS also had it. Must be made of old thick leather lol

We are almost good to go for dog parks! He just had his last round of vaccinations last Friday so probably another week. I still take him to pet stores and any other place dogs are allowed. I figured socialization was worth a little risk, but dog parks are definitely higher risk. He loves saying hi and watching people. We went to Half Priced Books yesterday. A regular park on Saturday. Iā€™ve been trying to take him out with me a lot, Heā€™s come to really enjoy it. Iā€™m not sure why walking around a store or park is so much different than a walk around the neighborhood?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are almost good to go for dog parks! He just had his last round of vaccinations last Friday so probably another week. I still take him to pet stores and any other place dogs are allowed. I figured socialization was worth a little risk, but dog parks are definitely higher risk. He loves saying hi and watching people. We went to Half Priced Books yesterday. A regular park on Saturday. Iā€™ve been trying to take him out with me a lot, Heā€™s come to really enjoy it. Iā€™m not sure why walking around a store or park is so much different than a walk around the neighborhood?

Stores and parks give different scents and stimulations so he is better socialized and the brain is worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Stores and parks give different scents and stimulations so he is better socialized and the brain is worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant why is he so offended by a normal walk but not when I take him to a store or park? He loves going to the store but a walk around the neighborhood he hates. But that answers my question, he probably doesnā€™t get as much out of it mentally. The little bugger makes me feel awful for taking him on a walk :rolleyes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I meant why is he so offended by a normal walk but not when I take him to a store or park? He loves going to the store but a walk around the neighborhood he hates. But that answers my question, he probably doesnā€™t get as much out of it mentally. The little bugger makes me feel awful for taking him on a walk :rolleyes:

oh, sorry, misunderstood... bulldogs are quirky, he may not like something that is along the walk, but he may just being stubborn

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Why I mentioned on leash dog parks Only. My German Shepherd as a pup was attacked 2x it ruined him. He was 24/7 on his guard for 8years. Extremely stressful when i walked him daily. I had to walk him like at 6am in the morning so less people on the roads. I donā€™t agree with any dog parks. But if you want to socialize and all dogs are on a leash eeeeeee maybe. Personally I donā€™t go with my 2 even if they are all on leashes cause of kennel coughs, distempered etc... but thatā€™s me.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Why I mentioned on leash dog parks Only. My German Shepherd as a pup was attacked 2x it ruined him. He was 24/7 on his guard for 8years. Extremely stressful when i walked him daily. I had to walk him like at 6am in the morning so less people on the roads. I donā€™t agree with any dog parks. But if you want to socialize and all dogs are on a leash eeeeeee maybe. Personally I donā€™t go with my 2 even if they are all on leashes cause of kennel coughs, distempered etc... but thatā€™s me.

Yikes thatā€™s awful! Our last dog was very under socialized so I completely understand...we had to walk him at night also. We got him from a shelter as an adult. I guess Iā€™m terrified of Brutus being fearful or aggressive at all. Iā€™m trying to socialize him to everything. That was my thinking behind the dog park. Because I donā€™t have any friends with dogs close to me. But I have heard terrible things about dog parks before. He sees dogs on walks and at stores, heā€™s done really well so far. But itā€™s also not very often and if they play itā€™s not for long. Usually itā€™s just walking past a dog. So Iā€™m at a loss for how to socialize without the dog park.

Maybe Iā€™m too paranoid. I loved our last dog dearly but it was so stressful and hard. He lashed out at any stranger. We just dealt with it after many trainers didnā€™t work. I really just want Brutus to be well rounded, he doesnā€™t need to be perfect but no aggression would be nice.

OP
Marlana

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Sorry I worded that weird! I didnā€™t mean your GS was under socialized. Just that I understood having to walk a dog at night. Iā€™m not even exactly sure thatā€™s why our previous dog was aggressive. Thatā€™s just what I was told whenever I talked to people about his behavior. Iā€™d get the ā€˜oooh he wasnā€™t socialized well, was he?ā€™ line. We had zero clue what happened to him in his 2 years of life before us.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry I worded that weird! I didnā€™t mean your GS was under socialized. Just that I understood having to walk a dog at night. Iā€™m not even exactly sure thatā€™s why our previous dog was aggressive. Thatā€™s just what I was told whenever I talked to people about his behavior. Iā€™d get the ā€˜oooh he wasnā€™t socialized well, was he?ā€™ line. We had zero clue what happened to him in his 2 years of life before us.

You had your as an adult. Lots can happen in a dogā€™s life in a year. You probably just picked up the pieces and tried your best. My GS I had him as a pup, went to a nice dog park n a good 10 dogs just went after mind who was only 3 months old. Then at 6 months old he would growl at people wearing hoodies which was cold outside.. but wasnā€™t a good sign. Went to another dog park same crap. Pack of dogs attacked Major. Major was a big GS at 6 months he weighed 65 lbs. the packed rolled him over, ripped some fur but he got up and went for it. Just the brain was 6 months n he wasnā€™t sure what to do. I jumped in n grabbed him n pushed others till stupid owners realized their dogs were out of control. Why Iā€™m not keen on dog parks. Itā€™s NOT the dogs the issue but the owners.

Anyhooooo, Just walk him in busy areas and like you said outside dog parks. Drive to a parking lot and stand there near a mall. People will come out and of course pet him. Or go on Meetup.com NO not a hookup dating site lol. Itā€™s a site all sorts of people meet (groups) up for anything n everything. Iā€™ve seen some for bulldogs. Check it out. Might be good for you.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.