Pumba has knee surgery two days ago

pumbasmom

Jun 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba Ru
So our 9 month old Pumba finally had his knee surgery. He is in antibiotic and pain meds with a bandage around the right leg from toes to hip. I am trying desperately to keep him calm and minimal movements but it is becoming increasingly difficult as he hears the sounds in the house and wants to do his normal investigations and play. I was told this will take 6 maybe 8 weeks to heal and return to normal activity. Does anyone have experience on this and how to contain them without adding more stress? I have Kongā€™s, toys, I have slept on the floor now as to keep him out of the crate since he tries to chew it open. Calming spray from Thunder Vest didnā€™t work. He is so unhappy and confused, and I am exhausted! Any advice would be great!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I don't have experience with this surgery but my Frenchie has had multiple surgeries requiring strict crate rest for 8 weeks. It is very hard and just gets harder as the time goes on and they start to feel better because they don't understand they are suppose to rest. Any kind of recovery that requires strict crate rest is very important to comply with for recovery.

What helped Jax, although he never tried to chew his crate, was the sedative prescribed by the vet which was Trazodone and then I also gave him CBD oil.

OP
P

pumbasmom

Jun 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba Ru
I called the vet about getting a sedative at least so I can leave the house to run quick errands, but he doesnā€™t recommend it. I have CBD oil in the house but do I need a different type for pets rather human grade? We are strict on him staying confined and only let him out to potty. I have been sleeping on the floor near the crate so he doesnā€™t chew at the bars. I donā€™t sleep soundly on the floor so I hear everything he does.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Sorry i dont have any suggestions but we know exactly what you are going through! Our Dudley had cruciate surgery one week ago and trying to keep him calm for 12 weeks is seeming like an impossible task!:w00t: we have also spent the last week sleeping downstairs with him and everyone is banned from visiting and we have to creep back n the house if one of us needs to go out, and even then he still gets giddy when he see's you! Hes no better in his crate he just goes mad in there and were scared hes going to get a paw stuck in it ! Weve also canceled xmas this year because we cant go out or have anyone round :ashamed:
Good luck and fingers crossed it gets better.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I called the vet about getting a sedative at least so I can leave the house to run quick errands, but he doesnā€™t recommend it. I have CBD oil in the house but do I need a different type for pets rather human grade? We are strict on him staying confined and only let him out to potty. I have been sleeping on the floor near the crate so he doesnā€™t chew at the bars. I donā€™t sleep soundly on the floor so I hear everything he does.

I honestly don't know if human CBD is different but I have always gotten a "pet" one. Why does the vet not recommend a sedative?

OP
P

pumbasmom

Jun 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba Ru
I am bringing in tomorrow because his wrapping on his leg is sliding downward as he changes positions and I am going to insist on something for him as I canā€™t imagine my poor guy mentally being able to handle such confinement. The nurse called back and said he is concerned about sedatives with bulldog breads as it can interfere with breathing. This is my first Bulldog so I honestly donā€™t know, he was a rescue that we knew would need this surgery. Vet wanted to wait till he was 8 months to do it. So we were prepared somewhat, I was not prepared for him to be so alert and wanting to get about. I assumed he would be like me and want to do nothing but lay down. I will have to find some CBD oil for pets online and look into it. It is going to be a rough 6 weeks. We too have kept all visitors away and he limited to my bedroom, I do have teenagers so all their friends are not allowed to ā€œhangā€ till Pumba is on his feet.

OP
P

pumbasmom

Jun 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba Ru
Aww! Our poor babies itā€™s so hard to watch them suffer and they have no idea how important it is to rest! I hope Dudley recovers well and quickly!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Aww! Our poor babies itā€™s so hard to watch them suffer and they have no idea how important it is to rest! I hope Dudley recovers well and quickly!

Pet CBD is same as human BUT you need to ask your vet the doses for his size. Regarding sedative, personally I wouldnā€™t go that route. Why give more chemicals especially being on meds....Heā€™s just a pup...overloaded of energy....Sadly itā€™s the crate that heā€™ll have to be in. Going to be a long 8weeks for sure. I would try putting above his kennel on a shelf or something a diffuser and add lavender essential oil. Lavender calms down n helps sleep better. Just a thought. Definitely someone will have to be home 24/7 for a good few weeks or have him babysat if you need to go out...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Anyway to baby gate a room where he can roam but be calm ... place a mattress on floor for you and him to sleep?

We did this for our guy when he had knee surgery and it worked well ... less stress for all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

pumbasmom

Jun 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba Ru
Update.. Pumba saw the surgeon today, bandage removed and they said he can walk through the house, use his leg but no jumping or running. They did not put a pin in his knee, they just deepened the joint so his knee wouldnā€™t slip out anymore and pulled some muscle over it to help keep it in place. We are keeping him on his harness the next few days as he walks through the first floor area only, no steps allowed. So we are recovering nicely! Yay!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update.. Pumba saw the surgeon today, bandage removed and they said he can walk through the house, use his leg but no jumping or running. They did not put a pin in his knee, they just deepened the joint so his knee wouldnā€™t slip out anymore and pulled some muscle over it to help keep it in place. We are keeping him on his harness the next few days as he walks through the first floor area only, no steps allowed. So we are recovering nicely! Yay!

Great news... good luck and continue the updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online