Pulling on lead

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi all,

Lola is now 14 months old and 53 pounds. If we go out (groomer, vet, the park) we have her in a harness, and the pulling is becoming too much! She is so strong that I have trouble taking her out by myself. We did puppy school and learned "loose leash walking", which worked fine until the last couple of months. I'm thinking we need more obedience training and will be starting that soon. Any other suggestions? We are moving soon and will be in an extended-stay hotel for a few weeks, so she'll be on leash a lot more. I don't know if my poor arms can take it!

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
Something we learned in doggy school is letting them get to the place they want by pull is reinforcing the pulling. If you stop and make them wait every time they pull they learn pulling gets them no where. You also may want to get a harness that the leash clips onto the front. When they try to pull its harder for them and they go in circles. I had this problem with gregory and all of this has really helpe. Good luck!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Something we learned in doggy school is letting them get to the place they want by pull is reinforcing the pulling. If you stop and make them wait every time they pull they learn pulling gets them no where. You also may want to get a harness that the leash clips onto the front. When they try to pull its harder for them and they go in circles. I had this problem with gregory and all of this has really helpe. Good luck!

Excellent advice!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree as well! I had to this with both of mine! It was hard with them both as Chanel is 52lb and Brutus is about 53lbs give or take....Each time they pulled I stopped made them both sit and stay until I said ok to go! Also dont give a lot of leash hold it close to you to encorage her to walk next to you! Its going to be tough b.c they are strong but if you stay consistent it should work! Hope it gets better!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Perfect..... the harness is called 'easy-walker' made by Premier. We used it for Banks and it worked well

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
Perfect..... the harness is called 'easy-walker' made by Premier. We used it for Banks and it worked well

So that's a good one huh? I need one for Gracie. [MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] picked her one up but of course it was too small. I want to get her a good one that's also comfy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

So that's a good one huh? I need one for Gracie. @Cooper11 picked her one up but of course it was too small. I want to get her a good one that's also comfy.

It is a no-pull harness... really worked well for Banks. And, i know a few people that it worked for that have labs

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
With Meatball we make sure to stop and tell him to settle. It works most of the time but what is funny some days I can get him to walk so it like the reverse sometime.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online