Pros and cons of a 2nd bulldog

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Hey all, so my breeder got back to me and said i could get 1 from an upcoming litter.i want another but am also a bit weary since things are going so well with my current guy whos 5 and dont know if i wanna disturb a good thing. Anyone have any experience with getting a 2nd? If so, is girl better with boy?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think most would say get a girl. I myself have 2 English Bulldog females,1 French/pug female, 1 dorkie male, and 1 shih/chi female . I have never had a male English, but other breeds, I've always had 1 male in a mix of females, and never had any problems as far as fights(once in a great while an "argument" over a toy!) @Epc188

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Is the age difference a big deal?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
No way to tell for sure.
It helps if your current 5YO is well-socialized and enjoys being around other dogs.
That said, mature dogs almost always give puppies what we call a “puppy pass”. Eventually the pass expires and either they get along or they don’t. In our experience, in most cases they get along.

Lori in Reno

Nov 11, 2020
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley & Gunner
We adopted 2 English Bulldogs at the end of August @ 8 weeks old. They are brothers from the same litter. We also have to 2 rescue dogs. One is a German Shepard mix and she is 5 years old. The other one is some kind of terrier mix and he is 8 years old. We also live on 10 acres so we do have the room for 4 dogs. We knew our 2 older dogs would not be very excited about us bringing a puppy home. So our thought process was, lets get 2 and they can keep each other company. They are now almost 5 months old and the best of friends. They slept through the night from the very beginning, which was a blessing! They do almost everything together, they play and wrestle all the time and even cuddle when they sleep. But Im not going to lie, some days we are like "WHAT THE HECK WERE WE THINKING"! But I think anyone raising a puppy, says the same thing. Overall, I think we made the right choice. Our other 2 dogs have even accepted the puppies and sometimes they all play together. The only Con would be, the cost of everything they need, is doubled.......Vet appointments, shots, dog food, collars, leashes, training classes and so on.
Hope this helps!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I brought Louie home when Jax (French Bulldog) was 3 years old. I thought he would be ecstatic as he loved going to daycare and playing with the bigger dogs. Not so much. It took just over 3 weeks before Jax would even let Louie go near him. He would try to correct Louie which never did anything as Louie didn't care. Louie is now 3 and Jax is 7. Jax will tolerate Louie but I think he would have been fine living his life as an only dog. The 2 of them did recently get into a full blown dog fight requiring a visit to the ER to stitch up a wound on Jax's leg. In January, I brought home a female puppy, Ella. Jax took to her more quickly than he did with Louie but still isn't in love with her. However, Louie and Ella are best friends. They have their little disagreements but that just comes with having more than 1 dog and neither of them like to share their toys or chews.

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Hes pretty well socialized...the dogs that paw and nip at his ears he will get pretty mad...but if they arent all over him hel lay on the same bed and all..very protective of bones and toys though

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Hey all, so my breeder got back to me and said i could get 1 from an upcoming litter.i want another but am also a bit weary since things are going so well with my current guy whos 5 and dont know if i wanna disturb a good thing. Anyone have any experience with getting a 2nd? If so, is girl better with boy?
My son's bulldog (Bogey) was 7 when they decided to get another pup ( from the same breeder we got Bogey). Bogey is the sweetest, gentlest dog ever-except with other bulldogs! He showed some aggression with other bulldogs. He also is very toy possessive. These things bothered me a bit, but my son insisted he would do it the right way, with lots of attention to Bogey when the new pup came home. He was spot on. Bogey was not exactly thrilled with the new addition, but they took things very slowly and low and behold, today, 1 year later, they are best of friends and inseparable! Ruger (the pup) has picked up many of Bogey's good traits, and it is a riot to see how these 2 bonded!! We took Ruger's brother- Jackson_ and Bogey just "tolerates" him. LOL! I have the BEST video of Bogey meeting Jackson for the first time- I will try to post it! It is hysterical. I think you will do just fine!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We introduced Willow when Walter was a couple of years old... he accepted her fine, but SHE is the problem. As soon as she could she started resource guarding, and it has been an issue ever since. I agree that training is important early on, but honestly IMO it depends on the dogs temperament. Truth be told I think that Walter would be happier just being an only dog...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Lol thats a funny video.. thanks for sharing your experiences guys

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with all the advice given.... I've always had two and it has been a crap soot every time with how they take and adjust to each other.
Our current two... Cheli, now 9, wanted nothing to do with Lambeau, now 6, when he first came home. it was two weeks before he would even stay in the same room with him. Then one day they started playing and now do well together but i would not say they are bonded

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
We didn’t do so good. Introduced a second female and fighting for so bad I had to give away the new female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions