Problems resulting from feeding from the table . . . .

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have been bad! I've always known that it is not a good idea to feed dogs 'people' food from the table.
Well now I am seeing the results of doing this for to long a period of time.....

Because my Bulldog is on so many medications, I have to put the pills in cooked lamb burgers, or bison burgers to get the pills in him every day. As a result of doing this for so long, my Bulldog now refuses to
eat his dogfood, which he needs.

I have caused a major problem, and now I don't know how to fix this because I will always have to put
his pills in food. I've tried everything else including Pill Pockets which he refused.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm guilty of this too, Patrick, you're definitely not alone so don't beat yourself up about it too much! You can get Maximus to liking his dog food again by maybe doing a 50/50 of dog food with some human food that he's been used to (lamb or bison meat for instance). Just keep tapering off the human food as the days or weeks progress. When I give my boys a tablet to take, I can hide it in with their kibble mixed with some plain yogurt, OR, i give them a teaspoon of peanut butter with the pill wrapped in it. Maybe you can try those tricks with Maximus?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine likes his pumpkin. So what I do is embed his pills in a glob of pumpkin and let him lick it out of my hand. Since it is not really solid he swallows without chewing and spitting out the pills. You could try this with pumpkin, coconut oil, yogurt, etc. Good luck.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
As you transition him away from people food and back to dog food he may refuse to eat on occasion. Worry not, put the food down and give him time to eat it and then take it away. Once this happens a couple of times, he'll get the idea. You're not going to starve him if he misses a couple of meals.
If a bully gets hungry enough, they will eat.
BTW, we use EZ Cheese to hide pills. It's worked on every bully we ever had.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]....I agree with Oscarmayer If a bully gets hungry enough, they will eat. Maybe mix a boiled egg or some wet food in with his kibble. Gradually decreasing the amount, until just the kibble is left.
As for taking pills, I wrap mine in peanut butter on a butterknife and give it to him on the side of his mouth. If I give it to him in front, he licks all the peanut butter off leaving just the pill.
Good Luck!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] I agree with Chip. And on the other hand as ive mentioned a few times, nothing is wrong with table food. Ive been " home cooking" for Nyala over a month now. Less issues health wise. Remember when your grandmother or parents (depending on your age) they feed table scrap. These dogs back then had NO issues like today's dogs. Lived till 15-18yrs old. The only thing I don't give is cooked fat, cooked bones, onions, chocolate... if im eating a hamburger and salad/veggies that's what Nyala will have but No Bread! !! It comes out to the same price as you would pay for a good bag of kibbles just you need to cook an extra plate. I just buy her a turkey, sweet potatoes, green beans, turnips, peas etc etc. Cook the turkey, fill zip lock medium bags 50/50 meat n veggies with juices, freeze them and her meals are done for 3 weeks. And if YOU have nothing to eat that day, grab your dogs food :D So there is nothing wrong with table food. Just you will have to decide and stick to which way to go. Or do 1/2 1/2.

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] I agree with Chip. And on the other hand as ive mentioned a few times, nothing is wrong with table food. Ive been " home cooking" for Nyala over a month now. Less issues health wise. Remember when your grandmother or parents (depending on your age) they feed table scrap. These dogs back then had NO issues like today's dogs. Lived till 15-18yrs old. The only thing I don't give is cooked fat, cooked bones, onions, chocolate... if im eating a hamburger and salad/veggies that's what Nyala will have but No Bread! !! It comes out to the same price as you would pay for a good bag of kibbles just you need to cook an extra plate. I just buy her a turkey, sweet potatoes, green beans, turnips, peas etc etc. Cook the turkey, fill zip lock medium bags 50/50 meat n veggies with juices, freeze them and her meals are done for 3 weeks. And if YOU have nothing to eat that day, grab your dogs food :D So there is nothing wrong with table food. Just you will have to decide and stick to which way to go. Or do 1/2 1/2.

I really love this idea:). When I get Gigi back to 100% I'm going to do half home cooked with kibble.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I really love this idea:). When I get Gigi back to 100% I'm going to do half home cooked with kibble.

Make sure you add the juices or boiled water as home cooking they tend to drink less water as home cooking is already moistened.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
The only table food Maximus gets is mini Lamb burgers or Bison burgers, just to give me something to put his pills in and it works.
When I first got Maximus at 4-months old, he had Giardia, so he got fed Lamb and rice or sweet potatoe and he loved it, so I knew
he would love his mini lamb burgers, so far it has worked, and it's not like he's eating a BIG MAC! I don't think the calories from
the burgers are really enough to cause him major damage. My biggest challenge is to get him to eat his dog food himself out of a bowl. To date he has been fed his dog food by hand. Big problem, I know. So far, he has not adjusted or converted to eating his dog food out of a dog food bowl. Arghhh!

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Mine likes his pumpkin. So what I do is embed his pills in a glob of pumpkin and let him lick it out of my hand. Since it is not really solid he swallows without chewing and spitting out the pills. You could try this with pumpkin, coconut oil, yogurt, etc. Good luck.

Maximus is a "Wizard" at swishing things around in his mouth, swallowing the food and spitting out the pill. Especially with anything that is soft and mushy, so the pumpkin idea will not work with Maximus. That's why I had to go with mini Lamb burgers.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've been given great advice above. I have put pills in peanut butter, but I usually don't have to. I just sit them between my legs and place the pill in their mouth at the back of the throat, and then just rub their throat until they swallow it. I've never had them spit them out. The only pills I've had to give them was their pain medications after their spay and neuter surgeries, and when I give them Benadryl.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The only table food Maximus gets is mini Lamb burgers or Bison burgers, just to give me something to put his pills in and it works.
When I first got Maximus at 4-months old, he had Giardia, so he got fed Lamb and rice or sweet potatoe and he loved it, so I knew
he would love his mini lamb burgers, so far it has worked, and it's not like he's eating a BIG MAC! I don't think the calories from
the burgers are really enough to cause him major damage. My biggest challenge is to get him to eat his dog food himself out of a bowl. To date he has been fed his dog food by hand. Big problem, I know. So far, he has not adjusted or converted to eating his dog food out of a dog food bowl. Arghhh!

Ahhh I see.... im sure you weren't giving him big macs.. geez I dont even eat that lol... well you are feeding him great "meats" nothing wrong there! If your dog is over weight, im sure he wont let himself starve. Leave the bowl on the floor, after an hour remove it wait till following meal time. I think all dogs hates taking pills. If you need to camouflage them stuff them in meat like you are doing in the bowl on the floor. I would give him probiotic yogurt and crush the pills he needs to take in. The Flora Probiotics live the one you buy in the fridge area not on shelves is best thing for any humans and pets. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you covered with some good advice..... How big is the burger he is getting the pills in? Is it just big enough for the pills or is it normal 1/4 pound burger? Also, how many a day... 2 ?

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Ahhh I see.... im sure you weren't giving him big macs.. geez I dont even eat that lol... well you are feeding him great "meats" nothing wrong there! If your dog is over weight, im sure he wont let himself starve. Leave the bowl on the floor, after an hour remove it wait till following meal time. I think all dogs hates taking pills. If you need to camouflage them stuff them in meat like you are doing in the bowl on the floor. I would give him probiotic yogurt and crush the pills he needs to take in. The Flora Probiotics live the one you buy in the fridge area not on shelves is best thing for any humans and pets. :)

Maximus does take daily Probiotics - I give him the "Vetri Science Daily Probiotic Chews". He's been on these for quite awhile.
He gets 3 per day.

I'm hesitant to put the meat with the pills in his food bowl because I'm afraid the pills will fall out of the meat.
I normally hand feed the meat with the pills in it. I also hand feed him his dry dog food. He has yet to eat dog food out of a bowl.
I am trying to gradually introduce him to this practice, but thus far, he has not taken to eating on his own. It is a Work in Progress.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Maximus is a "Wizard" at swishing things around in his mouth, swallowing the food and spitting out the pill. Especially with anything that is soft and mushy, so the pumpkin idea will not work with Maximus. That's why I had to go with mini Lamb burgers.

Wow what a smart bully. Hopefully you find something that works.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online