apogee

Aug 24, 2011
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
Greetings to all.

I have a medical issue to run by the group.

Maggie, my four-year-old English, had surgery on her leg five weeks ago. For the surgery, she was shaved from flank to foot.

Now, as you can see from the pic, the hair on her leg is growing back nicely, but the hair on her hip isn't really growing back at all. After five weeks, it still looks freshly shaved.

mag_zpsaw3gjodf.jpg

The doc mentioned something about bulldog alopecia. But from the pics I saw online, it just doesn't look the same. She has never shown signs of alopecia before, and the hair on the opposite side is just as thick as it has always been.

The doc also mentioned a possibility of hypothyroidism. But she said other symptoms of that are lethargy and weight gain - and Maggie isn't showing signs of either of those.

Does anyone have any ideas why her hair isn't growing back?

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Radar had surgery 3 months ago and most of his hair has grown back except for right in the middle of his back we had a nail trim with the vet tech and thyroid was the first thing she said too. We are do for a blood draw and titer tests so I am gonna have them check his thyroid while we are at it just to be safe

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is strange and would ask for her thyroid to be checked.

Lambeau had his tail removed about 3 weeks ago and his is all growing in at the same pace

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We had a similar problem with Monty after his tail pocket surgery. It took a good 9 months or so to grow back and was very patchy. I was really worried it wouldn't grow back at all in some places because it was completely hairless. I put Nu Stock on it and gave him 3 mg Melatonin. Did it make any difference... who knows. It may have grown back at the same rate without it! His Vet called it Surgical Alopecia and said not to worry about it. He said to try the Melatonin as did his dermatologist. 5 weeks isn't very long so I wouldn't worry yet.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When Castor had his soft palate surgery, they shaved his chest/throat area and I was surprised how long it took to grow back - now I don't remember how long but several months before it looked sort of normal. It felt like velvet for a long time.

OP
A

apogee

Aug 24, 2011
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
I did talk to the doc again since I originally posted. She mentioned I might try melatonin. I ordered some from Amazon and should arrive today. We'll see if it does anything.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have heard Melatonin works for hair loss. Good luck and let us know how it works. They do sell it in any drug store or supermarket also.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
My vet said 3mg a day. The dermatologist said 3mg twice a day (he's a big boy) and to use Natures Bounty as she had heard it works better. I gave him the 3mg though as he was a bit dopey.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi there. [MENTION=3078]apogee[/MENTION] I am just reading this post. Jewel had ACL surgery and she too was shaved from flank to foot. Also in November last she was shaved just below her neck for the placement of a Fentanyl patch when she had her bout of pancreatitis. I want to say that it took a few months for all of her hair to grow back especially where the patch was.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.