Probiotic, Kraut & Bovine Colostrum

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Can I give my dog both a probiotic powder and sauerkraut or should I get rid of one of them?
Also can I throw in some Four Leaf Rover bovine colostrum ?
How long will it take for the Bovine Colostrum to start working?

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
I don't have the answer to this one, but mine get bovine colostrom and goats milk (for probiotic), so i am following along because i am sure someone here will have some answers :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I only give one probiotic at a time but rotate through raw goat's milk, fermented fish stock, green tripe, sauerkraut, etc. and again, just 1 at a time.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Can I give my dog both a probiotic powder and sauerkraut or should I get rid of one of them?
I change it up each meal (as @Cbrugs suggests).
Also, as @Bulldog2001 has suggested, I don't add the colostrum to the food. Instead, she licks it out of my hand a half hour before breakfast.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

I personally prefer the powder probiotics instead of giving sauerkraut, I donā€™t give that. Cause some fermented foods can cause yeast. Itā€™s up to you if you want to give the sauerkraut as well. I definitely recommend keeping her on the probiotic powder.

Yes you can give the bovine colostrum with these 2 things(probiotics and sauerkraut).

I give my dogs the Four Leaf Rover bovine colostrum daily and they are on Probiotics powder, omega 3, greens and berry supplement(one of my dogs needs these for the urinary issue).

All dogs are different, so for 1 of my dogs it took 1 week to see a big difference. My other dog it took 2 weeks. It should notice a difference within 3-4 weeks max.

As long as you put the bovine colostrum powder in the dish WITHOUT food, just the powder by itā€™self 30 minutes BEFORE you give her breakfast cause itā€™s absorbed best on empty stomach without food. The dogs lick it out if their dish.

Or what I do(my dog needs to eat immediately when he gets up so I canā€™t give it to him 30 minutes before breakfast), but I feed him breakfast @9:00 or before that, no food or treats after 11:00am, then I give bovine colostrum powder @2:00pm in the dish by itself WITHOUT food, he licks it up, and no food after that for at least 30 minutes. After the colostrum, their dinner is @4:00pm.

Most people will find it easier to give it 30 minutes before breakfast, instead of middle of the day. Whichever works best for you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreedā€¦ have a few and rotate, but one at a time

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
One at a time in case of reactions you might miss. I prefer supplementing with food source. A lot of people are worried about fermenting food. Nothing is wrong with fermenting food itā€™s actually the best thing anyone can eat n yes dogs too. Ive been doing it for decades. Itā€™s like when you do your own starters for your bread. The fermentation eats up all sugar/carbs n forms the good bacteria. Our ancestors preserved so many food source by fermenting it. My rule of thumb is add a tablespoon of fermented veggies or sauerkraut in your dish just like in your dogā€™s dish as a condiment. It keeps the gut clean.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
One at a time in case of reactions you might miss. I prefer supplementing with food source. A lot of people are worried about fermenting food. Nothing is wrong with fermenting food itā€™s actually the best thing anyone can eat n yes dogs too. Ive been doing it for decades. Itā€™s like when you do your own starters for your bread. The fermentation eats up all sugar/carbs n forms the good bacteria. Our ancestors preserved so many food source by fermenting it. My rule of thumb is add a tablespoon of fermented veggies or sauerkraut in your dish just like in your dogā€™s dish as a condiment. It keeps the gut clean.
I have found when I give the dogs fermented foods, they cause more yeast in my dogs, not all dogs are like that though, but it makes sense when I read the article.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have found when I give the dogs fermented foods, they cause more yeast in my dogs, not all dogs are like that though, but it makes sense when I read the article.

What happens is that just like in humans, you can be taking a daily supplement or meds n when you eat fermented foods it can do the opposing effect . A lot of supplements are not to be taken with meds and/or other supplements as you can end up at the hospital. Same for dog. Why when you take meds you take your supplements hours later. Basically anything fermented are good bacteriaā€™s not the other way around. If youā€™re not sure why fermented food gives yeast to your dogs , you donā€™t give any. But me, personally, I think itā€™s a combination of supplements mixed with the fermented food cause you mentioned it happens to all 3 dogs. Why all 3? Makes you wonder rightā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
What happens is that just like in humans, you can be taking a daily supplement or meds n when you eat fermented foods it can do the opposing effect . A lot of supplements are not to be taken with meds and/or other supplements as you can end up at the hospital. Same for dog. Why when you take meds you take your supplements hours later. Basically anything fermented are good bacteriaā€™s not the other way around. If youā€™re not sure why fermented food gives yeast to your dogs , you donā€™t give any. But me, personally, I think itā€™s a combination of supplements mixed with the fermented food cause you mentioned it happens to all 3 dogs. Why all 3? Makes you wonder rightā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

All 3 of my dogs were ONLY on raw diet- NO other supplements and 2 of them have allergies, well I gave them fermented foods with the raw diet, yeast was very bad in the 2 with allergies and the other dog without allergies it didnā€™t effect her negatively.

I never said all 3 of my dogs it caused yeast or issue. Only in the 2 with allergies and yeast issues, the other dog is healthy.

Again, they were on raw diet(NO other foods or supplements).

Finally I realized itā€™s the fermented foods causing the yeast and inflammation(not all dogs this happens to), but now I havenā€™t gave them fermented foods.
Not 1 of my dogs are on any medication, NO meds from the vet for any of them.

Now, they are on good supplement for their allergies and are doing great(bovine colostrum) and they are raw fed. The dogs with kidney disease get a kidney supplement, and they all get probiotics.

Last edited:

Most Reactions