SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Hello everyone!
Bear and I have missed everyone!! We have been up to our usual shenanigans. I just have some questions regarding my sons nutrition! Okay so I'm currently feeding Open Farm and he's on a rotation diet through the flavors and hes also getting a mix of toppers and supplements. I am toying with the idea of switching him over to completely raw food. His allergies have been acting up and the price for his apoquel is so insane so I'm looking for anyway to try and cut long term costs and medication use. I've done some research about the benefits of raw but none really go into what it is for the English bulldog. We all know this is a special breed with special needs so I'm intrigued to know first hand experience and maybe meal examples or nutritionist I could get in contact with!! Aside from his allergies he is so gassy and anything I give him has not helped šŸ«£ he can really clear a room when he wants lol.
He's at a solid 48.6 pounds and is as fit and trim as he's ever been. Okay thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 6C52F404-B086-4B85-A27B-9208D494EF84.jpeg
    6C52F404-B086-4B85-A27B-9208D494EF84.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hello everyone!
Bear and I have missed everyone!! We have been up to our usual shenanigans. I just have some questions regarding my sons nutrition! Okay so I'm currently feeding Open Farm and he's on a rotation diet through the flavors and hes also getting a mix of toppers and supplements. I am toying with the idea of switching him over to completely raw food. His allergies have been acting up and the price for his apoquel is so insane so I'm looking for anyway to try and cut long term costs and medication use. I've done some research about the benefits of raw but none really go into what it is for the English bulldog. We all know this is a special breed with special needs so I'm intrigued to know first hand experience and maybe meal examples or nutritionist I could get in contact with!! Aside from his allergies he is so gassy and anything I give him has not helped šŸ«£ he can really clear a room when he wants lol.
He's at a solid 48.6 pounds and is as fit and trim as he's ever been. Okay thank you in advance!!
Hi SidNBear. Sorry to hear about the allergies. Apoquel is not a long-term solution and I think it may have been the reason why our Bentley developed Lymphoma. You may want to ask your vet about Cytopoint injections which are approximately 6 weeks apart.

Food-wise, a lot of our members use raw; however, you will have to find what is good for your Bear. The forum has a link to questions/FAQs about dog food at https://www.englishbulldognews.com/threads/frequently-asked-dog-food-questions.62923/ .

We hope you find a solution for Bear's nutrition and a tolerable food. RJ

P.S. Used to live on Wycliff on the west side of Houston many moons ago. The house is still there but, I guess the County put in drainage pipes in lieu of the monsoon ditches we had. Lived there and survived Hurricane Carla.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello everyone!

I highly recommend Avoiding the Apoquel, and also Cytopoint and atopica and prednisone and Benadryl are definitely harmful, the cytopoint is the injection version of Apoquel.
One of my other dogs who is no longer with us(she had cancer) but the Apoquel was very likely the cause of the cancer. She still had to wear the cone of shame even with Apoquel, we put her on Bovine Colostrum supplement cause itā€™s working amazing for my other dog, no more cone or Apoquel for the other dog, bovine colostrum works amazing without the harming immune system like the others I listed(they suppress the immune system so the dog has no immune system to fight anything).

My French Bulldog , he has been on bovine colostrum supplement for Almost 3 years for his severe allergies(he had to see dermatologist cause his allergies were SO bad).

Amazing how well the bovine colostrum works.
I buy the Four Leaf Rover brand and give it 30 minutes BEFORE breakfast and they lick it up out of the dish alone as itā€™s best absorbed on empty stomach.

For the raw food:

My dogs with kidney disease were given 6 months to live, I put them on low phosphorus raw diet, they are here 2 years later(one of which we had to say goodbye cause of the cancer from Apoquel), but the remaining dog with kidney disease is doing very well, and the Frenchie with allergies hasnā€™t looked better than he is now!
Bovine colostrum is very good for environmental allergies specifically.

The raw food is best for allergies. And overall health and preventative for other health issues.
Itā€™s high in moisture which keeps them hydrated, low in carbs so it starves the yeast and cancer and inflammation, which is good even for healthy dog.

Avoid chicken and rotate proteins is best no matter what you feed.

The Frenchie became allergic to poor From eating it daily for 60 days without variety, so thatā€™s 1 reason to rotate proteins. And each protein has its own benefits and nutrients.

If you want to stick with kibble for him, i would recommend a higher quality for his allergies, one of these would be best:

-Natures Logic- Sardine, Lamb, Turkey, Beef, Red Meat, land and sea(beef and fish), pork. I think they also have venison formula too.

-Carna 4- duck, Goat , Lamb, Fish, venison for proteins.

Both are whole foods based and synthetic free, very close to raw for quality(minimal processed too), and both brands have probiotics in it.
Lowest carb kibble is Natures Logic.

Raw is best, but if itā€™s kibble you want to stick with, I would try the Carna 4 or natures logic. The better the food, the better the immune system.

Natures logic doesnā€™t have legumes or potatoes either which is good for yeast.

Please keep us updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We've fed raw for many years... we ae lucky to have found a locally made product.

@helsonwheels has a link with recipes and amounts to give

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello everyone!

Also here is a link for dog food recipes, lots to choose from and itā€™s all complete and balanced- very healthy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Whats important is the ratio of ingredients we feed our dogs. Iā€™ve attached a website that basically gives you ratios. Bare in mind I do not give my dogs sweet potatoes, rice nor oats. I do add a raw egg with shell in their food. They get raw fish as snacks or berries or dry beef strips.

And my dogs do feed themselves in my veggie garden if my back is turned. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    856.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1213.jpeg
    IMG_1213.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 22

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.