Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Hey all... so a brief background on my bully is this. Had the soft palate surgery when he was 1 after he aspirated his food and got pneumonia. Fast forward to 6 yers old.. i recently gone to a allergist and we switched his food to purina pro plan ha due to the fact hes allergic to almost everything (itching much better) BUT iv noticed hes been burping up alot lately.. i wanna say its coiniciding with whej i switched food to purina pro plan but im not certain. So 1 month ago he aspirated his food again and had to be on anti biotics...i chalked it up to ok well he was aspiration free for 5 years so no big deal.... now last night he was coughing and vet dignosed him with bronchitis. Im starting to think the new food is making him burp up his food and causing the esophogus to get enflamed from the acidity from the food and also puts him in danger of aspirating food or water. Any thoughts? Thanks

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Any Purina Food is not good, IMO.
Try a single protein food with Duck as the primary protein. Avoid any food with wheat, corn, or soy.
Expect soft stools for a week or more as the digestive tract adjusts to the new food.
We feed ALL of our rescues Zignature Duck with stellar results.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey all... so a brief background on my bully is this. Had the soft palate surgery when he was 1 after he aspirated his food and got pneumonia. Fast forward to 6 yers old.. i recently gone to a allergist and we switched his food to purina pro plan ha due to the fact hes allergic to almost everything (itching much better) BUT iv noticed hes been burping up alot lately.. i wanna say its coiniciding with whej i switched food to purina pro plan but im not certain. So 1 month ago he aspirated his food again and had to be on anti biotics...i chalked it up to ok well he was aspiration free for 5 years so no big deal.... now last night he was coughing and vet dignosed him with bronchitis. Im starting to think the new food is making him burp up his food and causing the esophogus to get enflamed from the acidity from the food and also puts him in danger of aspirating food or water. Any thoughts? Thanks

Your issue like Chip mentioned is Purina. Simply stay away from anything thatā€™s Purina made or Royal Canin, Science Hill or any brand thatā€™s full of fillers n grains. These are dogs n need meat. Zignature, Acana, Fromm are great brands. You should also start using a raw topper like liver or heart cut into small pieces. Your dog needs a good probiotic to get the gut flora back on track. Organ meats are full of it. If you can go full raw diet, go for it.

CD2ABD45-9026-4579-B2CB-C3EFDD5E97B9.jpeg59602279-8AE5-4B99-8496-3541198CAE20.jpegA352CD7F-EFED-4E61-97E7-AEA07085D6D2.jpeg

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
He was on zignature and fromm but hes allergic to all proteins unfortunatly so i had to put him on the pro plan

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Have you tried giving him Pepcid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So heā€™s allergic to ā€œmeat proteinā€..should have said that from the start lolā€¦

Have you tried rabbit, venison, buffalo, bison, kangaroo n alligator? Basically theyā€™re not proteins thatā€™s commonly used in foods. So might have a better chance of less allergies.

https://www.petcubes.com/blogs/articles/what_is_a_novel_protein_diet?

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Theres the allergy report...allergic to everything lol. Iv thought about throwing him a pepcid not sure if thats healthy long term though

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Theres the allergy report...allergic to everything lol. Iv thought about throwing him a pepcid not sure if thats healthy long term though

Hhmmmm..... interesting how what they probably sell in the office is the only thing he can eat? Ugh.

When the test was done, was your boy on any immune suppression meds? Like steroid

Zingnature has some novel proteins... goat is one I remember.... check into them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Wasnt on steroids..he was on zignature before never tried goat..ill give it a whirl though. Thanks

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
This is the worst IDEXX test score I've ever seen...by far! I hate to say it but I think R/Canin is the top rated Hydrolyzed Protein diet. This will likely be a lifelong diet for this patient. Mite allergy is through the roof...a predisposition for mange complications. Nexgard may help keep mites from making bad matters worse.
I'm surprised that your dermatologist has not recommended giving shots.
You could certainly try lowest recommended dose of Pepcid for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. If after 2 weeks he starts burping again then you can report your findings to your Vet for further discussion/options.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online