Porkchop has passed

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Yesterday I made the hardest decision of my life, to take Pork to the vet to put him at ease. He turned 13 years old last month. He had been gradually struggling to walk for about 4 years due to nerve damage in his back. The last month was the worst as his back right leg finally weakened. He had gone blind in the left eye, mostly deaf in the last few months. Over the holiday weekend, he would stand in the middle of the living room and bark...at nothing. If I sat on the floor next to him, he would lick my leg for over an hour. No longer would he sleep on the sofa and wouldn't stay in my bed for more than a few hours at night. Something was wrong when he refused his ice creams and yogurt snacks. My gregarious little man. Never met a person he didn't like. Never met a Yorkie that he did like. Loved going around the neighborhood in his stroller, scanning for people or squirrels. Riding in the car, ecstatic if we got McDonald French fries (He wouldn't eat Burger King fries.) I am humbly grateful to the staff at the vet's office for their kindness and sympathy. Porkchop was known to all as "The Bulldog in the Buggy". As he laid on the table, it was as if he looked at me and said "It's okay, Mom. It's time to let me go." I woke up from a short nap today and my eyes went right to his bed, that is no longer there. The pee pad no longer at the patio door. I don't know what to do with myself right now. Yet I know he's at peace. RIP Porkchop.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    856.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 3-Bull Run.jpg
    3-Bull Run.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Resized_20220705_152038 (1).jpeg
    Resized_20220705_152038 (1).jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 172

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yesterday I made the hardest decision of my life, to take Pork to the vet to put him at ease. He turned 13 years old last month. He had been gradually struggling to walk for about 4 years due to nerve damage in his back. The last month was the worst as his back right leg finally weakened. He had gone blind in the left eye, mostly deaf in the last few months. Over the holiday weekend, he would stand in the middle of the living room and bark...at nothing. If I sat on the floor next to him, he would lick my leg for over an hour. No longer would he sleep on the sofa and wouldn't stay in my bed for more than a few hours at night. Something was wrong when he refused his ice creams and yogurt snacks. My gregarious little man. Never met a person he didn't like. Never met a Yorkie that he did like. Loved going around the neighborhood in his stroller, scanning for people or squirrels. Riding in the car, ecstatic if we got McDonald French fries (He wouldn't eat Burger King fries.) I am humbly grateful to the staff at the vet's office for their kindness and sympathy. Porkchop was known to all as "The Bulldog in the Buggy". As he laid on the table, it was as if he looked at me and said "It's okay, Mom. It's time to let me go." I woke up from a short nap today and my eyes went right to his bed, that is no longer there. The pee pad no longer at the patio door. I don't know what to do with myself right now. Yet I know he's at peace. RIP Porkchop.

Iā€™m so sorry for your loss!

Was the back issue IVDD that he had? Or something else thatā€™s a back issue?
Just curious.

Dogs are so sweet, I havenā€™t had to make a hard decision yet for my dogs, they just donā€™t last long enoughā˜¹ļø

Again, so sorry for your loss!

RIP PorkChop!

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Iā€™m so sorry for your loss!

Was the back issue IVDD that he had? Or something else thatā€™s a back issue?
Just curious.

Dogs are so sweet, I havenā€™t had to make a hard decision yet for my dogs, they just donā€™t last long enoughā˜¹ļø

Again, so sorry for your loss!

RIP PorkChop!
Thank you. Pork started having a slight uneven gait in the rear end when he was 5 yrs old. The vet said it was due to bone spurs in the spine, one at the withers, one mid back and another at the tail base. She said it was due to him jumping off of furniture, climbing stairs in the town house. She never said it was any kind of disc disease. She did emphasize that because more weight is in the front of the bulldog body, that when they jump around, especially off of furniture, the impact of their front legs hitting the ground can lead to back damage. I tried to limit his jumping after that. By the time he was 9, the left rear leg would drag and paw would sort of twist. He went through rounds of cold laser therapy, acupuncture and other treatments. His right leg didn't show signs of weakness until he was 12.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm devastated by this news. It must be really difficult for you right now. I pray you find peace in his passing. My Gizmo and Bullie has been gone for a year and the pain of missing them are still sharp. Take your time to grieve knowing that you gave Porkchop the best life a bulldog can live - a life full of LOVE.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
When the time came, you gave him the greatest gift possible by letting him go peacefully. These first few days, weeks perhaps, are really tough. Try to focus on all the good memories. Remember...once a good Bulldog parent, always a good Bulldog parent...and when one Bulldog passes that makes room for another. There's one out there that needs you, and in time, you'll find it. Rest in peace Porkchop.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry for your loss... Porkchop was loved and spoiled... I can tell by your pics he was a happy boy!!! That is living your best life... prayers & hugs to you and your family :angelheart:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@paw7004 We have known sweet Pork Chop for a long time- as one of the "family". I am so sorry to hear this sad news.He had a good long life-though their lives are NEVER long enough for us. He was a sweetie and we all will miss him.
It is never easy, sending prayer for you to get through this I know it will be hard.:pray::pray:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Im so sorry. This truly hurts a lot of us members that grew with Porkchop. I recall very well your posts about him while I just got Nyala. Time just flew. You have so many beautiful memories to cherish. Youā€™re a great Bully Momma!
R.I.P. Big Guyā€¦ :angelheart:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so very sorry for your loss. What a feat to reach 13 years old! It just goes to show what a wonderful and caring parent he had. Sweet dreams Porkchop :angelheart:

gjelliottphd

May 25, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
1657373886591.png
All dogs go to heaven...He'll be waiting...

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Our family sends you our sincerest and heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

We know how tough your decision was but, Porkchop let you know it was time.

Hugs and prayers.

RJ

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.