Pooping puppy stage

VivianaLynam

Aug 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowzer
Hi friends! Well my husband and I decided to get an EBD, We have no experience with the breed, we would like some recommendations because since we got him he was eating wet food, which i know isnt the best for puppies. We swapped his food to royal canin and it didnt work out due to the food constapating him and swelling his stomach. Now we are using purina pro sensitive stomach and skin. But the problem now is it seems his digestion still isnt correct. (When we got him he had colitis and diarhea) and although islt has gotten better, he continously poops even when he is sleeping. And drips wet poop all day. So i would like to know, is this just a stage for this breed (no bowel control) or is it more of a health issue. He is 11 weeks old.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
How much are you feeding your pup? Too much food is often a cause for loose runny stool. A puppy can only process but so much and the rest just runs out undigested.
If this issue is unrelated to food, the cause could be several things...anything from an intestinal bacteria to Spina Bifida. The breeder needs to be made aware and be involved with this ongoing issue.
BTW, most any food made by Purina is low quality. Look for a better food once this problem is sorted. Perhaps look for a better food TO GET this problem sorted.

Last edited:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
As Chip said, feeding too much food can cause the runny poop. Purina and RC are not very nutritious so switching to higher quality kibble can also help. Has he been to a vet for a full checkup? Puppies sometimes come home with parasites which can cause poop issues as well so a fecal test can be done if you havenā€™t done one yet.

OP
V

VivianaLynam

Aug 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowzer
How much are you feeding your pup? Too much food is often a cause for loose runny stool. A puppy can only process but so much and the rest just runs out undigested.
If this issue is unrelated to food, the cause could be several things...anything from an intestinal bacteria to Spina Bifida. The breeder needs to be made aware and be involved with this ongoing issue.
BTW, most any food made by Purina is low quality. Look for a better food once this problem is sorted. Perhaps look for a better food TO GET this problem sorted.
Well idk wath kind of food will be good for him.. like i said
As Chip said, feeding too much food can cause the runny poop. Purina and RC are not very nutritious so switching to higher quality kibble can also help. Has he been to a vet for a full checkup? Puppies sometimes come home with parasites which can cause poop issues as well so a fecal test can be done if you havenā€™t done one yet.
Well I don't know what kind of food can be good for him, as I said it's our first time with this breed and we don't know how to treat him! :(

OP
V

VivianaLynam

Aug 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowzer
I don't know what kind of food can be good for him, as I said it's our first time with this breed and we don't know how to treat him! We were give him 2 scoops at meal, i cut it to 1 to see what happen.. any advice for what kind of food i should feed him!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know what kind of food can be good for him, as I said it's our first time with this breed and we don't know how to treat him! We were give him 2 scoops at meal, i cut it to 1 to see what happen.. any advice for what kind of food i should feed him!
Was it 2 scoops per meal or per day and is a scoop equivalent to 1 cup? Some better kibble brands to feed would be Acana, Zignature, Open Farm, Earthborn Holistics, First Mate, Nature's Logic just to name a few.

OP
V

VivianaLynam

Aug 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowzer
Was it 2 scoops per meal or per day and is a scoop equivalent to 1 cup? Some better kibble brands to feed would be Acana, Zignature, Open Farm, Earthborn Holistics, First Mate, Nature's Logic just to name a few.
Im sorry 2 cups per meal! And today i just give him 2 to see if it helps ! Ok ill try with some of them.. and also when we took him to the vet and they did a parasite test, he was negative, but as I said before, he has something called colitis and he is taking metronidazole.

OP
V

VivianaLynam

Aug 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowzer
Im sorry 2 cups per meal! And today i just give him 2 to see if it helps ! Ok ill try with some of them.. and also when we took him to the vet and they did a parasite test, he was negative, but as I said before, he has something called colitis and he is taking metronidazole.
Today 1 cup*

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

Definitely get him off Purina and Royal canin and also stay away from eukanuba, blue Buffalo, and hills science diet(or any get food also as all these are garbage and fillers).

Another great brand of food is Carna 4 itā€™s oven baked nuggets(doesnā€™t even look like kibble) and it also has pre and probiotics in it.
I know a few people that it has done great for.

Even if he had no health issues, food switch is a must.

Also if he has colitis, I highly recommended Adored Beast Brand- Gut Soothe which is a pre and probiotics with slippery elm and gut soothing foods and itā€™s anti inflammatory, which again, I know of people who use this and highly recommended for this issue.

The Carna 4 is the easiest to digest for kibble.

Keep us updated!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Today 1 cup*
Do you notice a change with less food? One thing I forgot to mention is if you are feeding a puppy, some of the brands i mentioned have a higher protein % than others and for a puppy, I would stick to a lower protein % until they are at least 1. With bulldogs, too high of protein *can* (not always but can) cause issues with growth and turn out their legs.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Also forgot to mention Carna 4 is for all life stages, including puppies

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Also forgot to mention Carna 4 is for all life stages, including puppies
All life stages doesnā€™t matter if the protein % is too high. Every breed is different. Iā€™ve personally seen puppies whose growth is affected because protein was too high. I donā€™t care how many nutritional classes youā€™ve taken online, I have personal knowledge on this.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
All life stages doesnā€™t matter if the protein % is too high. Every breed is different. Iā€™ve personally seen puppies whose growth is affected because protein was too high. I donā€™t care how many nutritional classes youā€™ve taken online, I have personal knowledge on this.

I know that too, and itā€™s not too high protein in the Carna 4 kibble.
I have personal knowledge on that too.

You could get your point across nicer without being rude by saying:

ā€œ I donā€™t care how many nutritional classes you have taken online, I have personal knowledge on thisā€.

I wouldnā€™t ever say anything like that to anyone.

I come on here to be helpful and help give advice, not to be rude.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I know that too, and itā€™s not too high protein in the Carna 4 kibble.
I have personal knowledge on that too.

You could get your point across nicer without being rude by saying:

ā€œ I donā€™t care how many nutritional classes you have taken online, I have personal knowledge on thisā€.

I wouldnā€™t ever say anything like that to anyone.

I come on here to be helpful and help give advice, not to be rude.
So you have personal knowledge on growing bulldog puppies and protein affecting their growth? How many bulldogs have you raised and how many litters have you had? Do you own a bulldog?

Iā€™ve been very nice by usually not responding to your posts but youā€™re a little bit of a bully by telling everyone what they need to do instead of just offering advice. Just because your French bulldog does well on something, doesnā€™t mean other dogs are going to. Every dog is different! You try and make people feel bad if they opt to give medication. Thatā€™s not offering support, and You make people feel bad for feeding kibble. And to you everything is food and allergy related and thatā€™s just not realistic.

And personally anyone that recommends using a squirt gun on a PUPPY that is potty training and going to have accidents is not really good advice.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So you have personal knowledge on growing bulldog puppies and protein affecting their growth? How many bulldogs have you raised and how many litters have you had? Do you own a bulldog?

Iā€™ve been very nice by usually not responding to your posts but youā€™re a little bit of a bully by telling everyone what they need to do instead of just offering advice. Just because your French bulldog does well on something, doesnā€™t mean other dogs are going to. Every dog is different! You try and make people feel bad if they opt to give medication. Thatā€™s not offering support, and You make people feel bad for feeding kibble. And to you everything is food and allergy related and thatā€™s just not realistic.

And personally anyone that recommends using a squirt gun on a PUPPY that is potty training and going to have accidents is not really good advice.
EXACTLY!!! Support means suggestions... ALL dogs are different and it's not a "one size fits all" mentality here. PLUS you have to consider an individuals economic status as well... not everyone can afford raw and/or natural supplements.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.