Pooping in sleep after neutering..

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Hi all! Itā€™s been a long time since we have been on here, and this is going to be quite lengthy šŸ«£. We recently had an addition to our family, his name is Chapo and heā€™s a 9mo English bulldog. We have a 4yo (on 12/29) English- Kona and a 2yo frenchie- Hope (itā€™s our sons but they love with us). Besides the girls being b!tche$ bc they donā€™t want to share, or play all the time and then Chapo not knowing how big and clumsy he is things are going ok. We got him Sunday 12/11 from a family with small children that couldnā€™t care for him the way he needed, slept in crate in garage or stayed outside etc. We made an appt for vet check that Wednesday and then appt to be neutered Thursday 12/15 and procedure went fine per our vet. I picked him up Friday (they like to keep smush faces over night since they are a 24hr emergency vet too) he was ok but he started pooing himself, like liquid poop then to grainy like consistency and not even realizing it. I called vet they gave me metronidazole and we started substituting with some white rice plain Greek yogurt, with this it is starting to have some form and on the up and up during day.. however last 2 nights he pooped in his crate while sleeping. First night was runny and all over, Sat night a little better and then last night more really mushy nuggets smeared. The dog has been through a lot last week and half, a couple diff homes and faces/families until here so Iā€™m also thinking stress? Heā€™s such a good boy and otherwise potty trained.
My questions are-

1: has anyone else experienced incontinence during sleep after being neutered? And how long did it last? Is there anything more I can do?
2: if anyoneā€™s dog has had major diarrhea or accidents to where the dogs butthole gets so inflamed like diaper rash, what did you use? I read quite a bit and since I have it on hand I am using neosporin cream.

I thank you all in advance for any help I can get, so amazing to have a community I can reach out to.

Thanks!
Danielle
07F17F57-5E30-41BB-88B9-3AC52E1A0C28.jpeg

Attachments

• 3ECBDE03-BA24-47E4-80F1-36AC42453834.jpeg
    3ECBDE03-BA24-47E4-80F1-36AC42453834.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thank you for taking him in!

I have never of pooping on themselves after being neutered. It could be stress from all the new changes and his past living conditions. If it continues, Iā€™d probably take him back to the vet. With diarrhea, please make sure he stays hydrated!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi all! Itā€™s been a long time since we have been on here, and this is going to be quite lengthy šŸ«£. We recently had an addition to our family, his name is Chapo and heā€™s a 9mo English bulldog. We have a 4yo (on 12/29) English- Kona and a 2yo frenchie- Hope (itā€™s our sons but they love with us). Besides the girls being b!tche$ bc they donā€™t want to share, or play all the time and then Chapo not knowing how big and clumsy he is things are going ok. We got him Sunday 12/11 from a family with small children that couldnā€™t care for him the way he needed, slept in crate in garage or stayed outside etc. We made an appt for vet check that Wednesday and then appt to be neutered Thursday 12/15 and procedure went fine per our vet. I picked him up Friday (they like to keep smush faces over night since they are a 24hr emergency vet too) he was ok but he started pooing himself, like liquid poop then to grainy like consistency and not even realizing it. I called vet they gave me metronidazole and we started substituting with some white rice plain Greek yogurt, with this it is starting to have some form and on the up and up during day.. however last 2 nights he pooped in his crate while sleeping. First night was runny and all over, Sat night a little better and then last night more really mushy nuggets smeared. The dog has been through a lot last week and half, a couple diff homes and faces/families until here so Iā€™m also thinking stress? Heā€™s such a good boy and otherwise potty trained.
My questions are-

1: has anyone else experienced incontinence during sleep after being neutered? And how long did it last? Is there anything more I can do?
2: if anyoneā€™s dog has had major diarrhea or accidents to where the dogs butthole gets so inflamed like diaper rash, what did you use? I read quite a bit and since I have it on hand I am using neosporin cream.

I thank you all in advance for any help I can get, so amazing to have a community I can reach out to.

Thanks!
Danielle
View attachment 123776

He is adorable!

I have not had a dog incontinent in the past, but I do have a probiotic supplement for diarrhea. I keep it in the fridge at all times in case one of my 3 dogs gets into something.

One of my dogs was so sick(bad digestion), and the vet put her on the same medication you mentioned, and it helped a little, she was on it for 10 days and then once she was off it, she was 10X sicker! Much worse than before the medication.

I then started her on Adored Beast Gut Soothe, itā€™s a probiotic with slippery elm and other gut soothing foods, itā€™s anti inflammatory and soothes from the mouth down to the other end of the body. Works WAY better than the vet medications that also made her sicker.

I highly recommend trying the Adored Beast Gut Soothe, I split the daily amount into the 2 meals(for example if the recommended amount is 1 TSP daily, I would give 1/2 tsp with breakfast and 1/2 tsp with dinner).

I always have it in the fridge at all times, if one of my dogs vomits or has any digestion issues, I give it as needed and it really helps. And unlike antibiotics(which ruin the gut bacteria), the probiotics help without any harm.

I would give the Adored Beast brand Gut Soothe a try for him.

He is probably stressed too from the new home.

What food is he on?

OP
D

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
He is adorable!

I have not had a dog incontinent in the past, but I do have a probiotic supplement for diarrhea. I keep it in the fridge at all times in case one of my 3 dogs gets into something.

One of my dogs was so sick(bad digestion), and the vet put her on the same medication you mentioned, and it helped a little, she was on it for 10 days and then once she was off it, she was 10X sicker! Much worse than before the medication.

I then started her on Adored Beast Gut Soothe, itā€™s a probiotic with slippery elm and other gut soothing foods, itā€™s anti inflammatory and soothes from the mouth down to the other end of the body. Works WAY better than the vet medications that also made her sicker.

I highly recommend trying the Adored Beast Gut Soothe, I split the daily amount into the 2 meals(for example if the recommended amount is 1 TSP daily, I would give 1/2 tsp with breakfast and 1/2 tsp with dinner).

I always have it in the fridge at all times, if one of my dogs vomits or has any digestion issues, I give it as needed and it really helps. And unlike antibiotics(which ruin the gut bacteria), the probiotics help without any harm.

I would give the Adored Beast brand Gut Soothe a try for him.

He is probably stressed too from the new home.

What food is he on?
Morning! He is on a puppy food that previous owners had him on, blue buffalo chicken base and then we were trying to wean him on what we feed our pups.
We feed our dogs a fish based food due to allergies from core wellness. (I know so many people on here prefer raw diet but unfortunately that wonā€™t work for our family).

I donā€™t want the chicken base for him just bc Kona canā€™t have it. Selfish of me but hard to feed them all different foods.

He did ok last night- I used a doggie diaper and of course he got it off just like the normal diaper I tried the other day šŸ«£. However it was more solid and itā€™s still just when he was asleep. I actually forgot about probiotics in all the chaos and Iā€™m actually surprised the vet didnā€™t have me get some also.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Morning! He is on a puppy food that previous owners had him on, blue buffalo chicken base and then we were trying to wean him on what we feed our pups.
We feed our dogs a fish based food due to allergies from core wellness. (I know so many people on here prefer raw diet but unfortunately that wonā€™t work for our family).

I donā€™t want the chicken base for him just bc Kona canā€™t have it. Selfish of me but hard to feed them all different foods.

He did ok last night- I used a doggie diaper and of course he got it off just like the normal diaper I tried the other day šŸ«£. However it was more solid and itā€™s still just when he was asleep. I actually forgot about probiotics in all the chaos and Iā€™m actually surprised the vet didnā€™t have me get some also.

The vets will try to sell you their probiotics which are all fillers and have little to no benefit. A healthy probiotics for him would be better, there are many good probiotics for the dogs.
Some good brands are:
-Four Leaf Rover
-Adored Beast
-omega Alpha

I use Adored Beast and Four Leaf Rover brands, very good products.

I would keep him off chicken as thatā€™s the most common allergy, especially in bulldogs!

Blue Buffalo and Wellness core arenā€™t high quality but way better than some foods. Blue Buffalo has So many recalls and Law suits on them. Definitely recommend also staying away from Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Purina, Hills, Science diet, as itā€™s all fillers. Even the vet food.

I totally understand, some people dont want to feed raw or just canā€™t for reasons, there is good high quality kibbles that arenā€™t chicken based that are really good for allergies.
Good quality kibbles brands:

-Carna 4-itā€™s oven baked and has probiotics in it too.
-Natures Logic(they have a sardine formula and no synthetic vitamins, very high quality! And they have a rabbit formula too)- it also has probiotics in it too.
-N&D is good too. It comes in Boar and also Quail and Duck and Salmon/cod and Just cod formulas too, and lamb.
It comes in venison also.

OP
D

Dfoiles

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
The vets will try to sell you their probiotics which are all fillers and have little to no benefit. A healthy probiotics for him would be better, there are many good probiotics for the dogs.
Some good brands are:
-Four Leaf Rover
-Adored Beast
-omega Alpha

I use Adored Beast and Four Leaf Rover brands, very good products.

I would keep him off chicken as thatā€™s the most common allergy, especially in bulldogs!

Blue Buffalo and Wellness core arenā€™t high quality but way better than some foods. Blue Buffalo has So many recalls and Law suits on them. Definitely recommend also staying away from Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Purina, Hills, Science diet, as itā€™s all fillers. Even the vet food.

I totally understand, some people dont want to feed raw or just canā€™t for reasons, there is good high quality kibbles that arenā€™t chicken based that are really good for allergies.
Good quality kibbles brands:

-Carna 4-itā€™s oven baked and has probiotics in it too.
-Natures Logic(they have a sardine formula and no synthetic vitamins, very high quality! And they have a rabbit formula too)- it also has probiotics in it too.
-N&D is good too. It comes in Boar and also Quail and Duck and Salmon/cod and Just cod formulas too, and lamb.
It comes in venison also.
Thank you so much for all the info. Today is last day of his meds from neuter and Iā€™m hoping that helps the accidents during sleep otherwise I will def be heading back to vet.
As always appreciate all the great info!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you so much for all the info. Today is last day of his meds from neuter and Iā€™m hoping that helps the accidents during sleep otherwise I will def be heading back to vet.
As always appreciate all the great info!

Your welcome! Keep us updatedšŸ˜Š

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful boy! Thank you for giving him a great new loving home! Praying he heals up and the probiotic helps with the poo issues

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.