Pneumonia/ Upper Respiratory Infection

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
This morning when I went to let Eleanor out of her crate, I noticed that she had vomited and had defecated in her crate. She has never done this before. When I got her out she was covered and I quickly gave her a bath. She was not acting herself at all. She wasn't playful and didn't want anything to do with my daughter. They have a normal morning routine together and Ellie wanted nothing to do with it. She was very lethargic and just wanted to lay down. I phoned the vet and took her in. She has pneumonia and Upper Respiratory infection as well as a fever. He indicated that her trachea was also narrow. After a few injection medications and an antibiotic and breathing medications were were on our way. She already is feeling better and ate and peed on my floor :). She is no resting in front of my space heater.
Has anyone gone through this before? Will this be a reoccurring theme? I am so happy I caught it early but wanted to know if there is anything to help it not return once she is healed.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry Ellie is going through this. We went through this with Buster and was given the same thing and he never got it again, it does take time but she will heal. Most English Bulldogs tracheas are very narrow. You did a GREAT thing by taking her in immediately once you realized what was going on, you saved her life. :D;)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So sorry to hear about Ellie, and I agree w/Phil… you did save her life!!! Hopefully she will get over this soon...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How scary! How old is she? Hopefully it is not something that will occur again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She is only 7 months old. She now has developed a cough so I wonder if it's from the medication. She is up and down as far as behavior. I feel so bad for her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with this, but wanted to wish her well and pray she does not have a reoccur acnereoccur acne

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Exact same thing happened to Ace the first week I had him. He was diagnosed with a URI. Antibiotics were given, he was back to norm within 2 days. He hasn't had it since, then again, I've only had ace going on 2 months. I think your baby will be alright in the future.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Usually the upper respiratory infection turns to pneumonia due to a build up of fluid I'm the lungs. Duchess had 2 upper respiratory infections one at 8 weeks and the other around 5 months. She had green nasal discharge that appeared overnight. The second time she woke me up coughing so bad she sounded like a goose. Thankfully I caught it early and it never turned to pneumonia. Both times required 2 weeks of antibiotics and it went away. If I remember correctly the vet said no playing and lots of rest. Hopefully the meds work fast!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
She is only 7 months old. She now has developed a cough so I wonder if it's from the medication. She is up and down as far as behavior. I feel so bad for her.

How is she doing today? Any improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
she is doing alot better. Eating and Chewing her toys. Running around and giving us love. She still sleeps alot, but it is good for her. Her cough is random but it is present and she is getting that goup up. Thanks for asking :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
she is doing alot better. Eating and Chewing her toys. Running around and giving us love. She still sleeps alot, but it is good for her. Her cough is random but it is present and she is getting that goup up. Thanks for asking :)

Great progress.... :pray: it continues

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online