Please Help!

YottosMammy

Jan 11, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Yotto
I have a 1 year old bulldog and I toilet trained him using puppy pads. Now he will only go on either a puppy pad or anythint soft like cushions, blankets, throws etc. He will never go to the toilet outside. Not sure how to rectify this now and am hoping someone could please advise? I'd be so grateful for any suggestions :)

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
A couple of questions:
Is he still intact?
Is he kennel trained?
How long is he alone during the day
And does he do this right in front of you?

I had a roommate with two Chihuahuas who were never fully potty trained for outside. What a nightmare, but we still loved them. Based on that experience however I would recommend against trying to use a belly wrap diaper, they cause more issues and do not solve the problem at all.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
He is one year of age--should have done this a lot earlier, but what I have done in the past is take the puppy pad outside a peed on one, and get him used to using it outside. If he pees, rub the pad(pee side) on the grass where you want him to go.Wait for him to pee. Take him out every couple of hours to the same spot on pad.

Last edited:
OP
YottosMammy

YottosMammy

Jan 11, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Yotto
A couple of questions:
Is he still intact?
Is he kennel trained?
How long is he alone during the day
And does he do this right in front of you?

I had a roommate with two Chihuahuas who were never fully potty trained for outside. What a nightmare, but we still loved them. Based on that experience however I would recommend against trying to use a belly wrap diaper, they cause more issues and do not solve the problem at all.
Hi thanks for the reply :) He is still intact, he's not kennel trained and he is never alone for more than an hour at a time. Luckily I work from home and he spends most of his day in my office with me. He does wee in front of me and has no shame. I have been tryng to train him for almost a year and i now feel Ive exhausted every idea!

OP
YottosMammy

YottosMammy

Jan 11, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Yotto
He is one year of age--should have done this a lot earlier, but what I have done in the past is take the puppy pad outside a peed on one, and get him used to using it outside. If he pees, rub the pad(pee side) on the grass where you want him to go.Wait for him to pee. Take him out every couple of hours to the same spot on pad.
Hi Thank you for the reply :) I have been trying for almost a year! I gave him some time in the beginning because he was young but hes getting older and I feel its worse than when he was a pup. I have tried taking the puppy pad outside, I walk him often and for quite long periods in the hopes he will go outside and I can praise him and give him treats but he still wont. I had another dog up util November and I was hoping he would see her go outside to wee and follow her behaviour but he just waits until he comes back inside.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
I would definitely suggest two things, both important:
1. Neuter him. Probably the most important point. He's already a year old, the sooner the better
2. Crate train. If he can't be outside of the crate without relieving himself then he needs to be in the crate until he gets the idea.

Edit:
I just read the second response. Make sure you are telling him when it is ok to stop and go potty outside when on walks and not allowing him to decide when and where is good to sniff. He needs to understand you are in charge of everything a walk is for exercise not for potty time

OP
YottosMammy

YottosMammy

Jan 11, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Yotto
I would definitely suggest two things, both important:
1. Neuter him. Probably the most important point. He's already a year old, the sooner the better
2. Crate train. If he can't be outside of the crate without relieving himself then he needs to be in the crate until he gets the idea.

Edit:
I just read the second response. Make sure you are telling him when it is ok to stop and go potty outside when on walks and not allowing him to decide when and where is good to sniff. He needs to understand you are in charge of everything a walk is for exercise not for potty time
Thank you so much for the advice. I shall book him in the vets to be neutered and try the crate training. Hopefully these will work. Thank you so much :)

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I have a 1 year old bulldog and I toilet trained him using puppy pads. Now he will only go on either a puppy pad or anythint soft like cushions, blankets, throws etc. He will never go to the toilet outside. Not sure how to rectify this now and am hoping someone could please advise? I'd be so grateful for any suggestions :)

First thing I would do is get him neutered as he is already 1 year old.

When my French bulldog was a puppy, the breeder used the puppy pee pads. In my opinion, pee pads can make it confusing for the dog as they see the pee pad and only want to go on it, however what happens whe you take it away, they get confused(sometimes).

So what I did, was I bought a tray that was fake grass on top, with the pee pad underneath it in the tray, so they see the grass on the top and it’s easier to get them to pee on the grass outside because it looks very similar to the tray with the grass on top.
So similar idea, but it makes it easier to get them to pee outside on the grass which looks similar to the tray.

I would 100% recommend getting him crate trained, its never too late, and it’s the best thing for them, crate training is not a bad thing. Lots of dogs love it cause it’s their own safe space/closed in bed.
Even after they were house trained, I still leave their crate doors open so they can go in there if they want. It’s not a punishment for the dog at all. And cause the dogs don’t like going potty in their beds, it teaches them to hold it until they are let outside so they won’t want to pee in their bed in the middle of the night or when you leave the house. It also keeps him from chewing things when your not home.

Also can you teach him a command even when he goes on his pee pad, like say “go potty” or ‘go pee’ say It while they are going or about to go. And then while they are peeing say “yay good pee” with a treat and say it happily.

Then practice saying “go pee” and when he does continue to praise him and give his favourite treat(beef liver is great for training, my dogs go nuts for it!!) and once he knows the command go pee, try taking him outside in the yard with the pee pad and put the pee pad on the grass and say, “go pee” and when he does praise him, then once that’s accomplished, you try taking the pee pad away and try saying go pee and see if he will pee outside on the grass.

And try to keep track when he normally has to pee(watch for when he normallshows you he has to go, or when he wakes up etc.).

Also try not to be frustrated(I know easier said than done) but he will sense your frustration and possibly not pee for you.
Keep us updated.

OP
YottosMammy

YottosMammy

Jan 11, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Yotto
First thing I would do is get him neutered as he is already 1 year old.

When my French bulldog was a puppy, the breeder used the puppy pee pads. In my opinion, pee pads can make it confusing for the dog as they see the pee pad and only want to go on it, however what happens whe you take it away, they get confused(sometimes).

So what I did, was I bought a tray that was fake grass on top, with the pee pad underneath it in the tray, so they see the grass on the top and it’s easier to get them to pee on the grass outside because it looks very similar to the tray with the grass on top.
So similar idea, but it makes it easier to get them to pee outside on the grass which looks similar to the tray.

I would 100% recommend getting him crate trained, its never too late, and it’s the best thing for them, crate training is not a bad thing. Lots of dogs love it cause it’s their own safe space/closed in bed.
Even after they were house trained, I still leave their crate doors open so they can go in there if they want. It’s not a punishment for the dog at all. And cause the dogs don’t like going potty in their beds, it teaches them to hold it until they are let outside so they won’t want to pee in their bed in the middle of the night or when you leave the house. It also keeps him from chewing things when your not home.

Also can you teach him a command even when he goes on his pee pad, like say “go potty” or ‘go pee’ say It while they are going or about to go. And then while they are peeing say “yay good pee” with a treat and say it happily.

Then practice saying “go pee” and when he does continue to praise him and give his favourite treat(beef liver is great for training, my dogs go nuts for it!!) and once he knows the command go pee, try taking him outside in the yard with the pee pad and put the pee pad on the grass and say, “go pee” and when he does praise him, then once that’s accomplished, you try taking the pee pad away and try saying go pee and see if he will pee outside on the grass.

And try to keep track when he normally has to pee(watch for when he normallshows you he has to go, or when he wakes up etc.).

Also try not to be frustrated(I know easier said than done) but he will sense your frustration and possibly not pee for you.
Keep us updated.
Thank you for the reply! The fake grass is a great idea and something I will definitely try especially as I have artificial grass in my garden. I've ordered a crate for him and will definitely try that too. Thank you so much for the advice. I'll let you know how we get on :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Take the pee pads outside and show them to him. Stay outside until he goes. Once he gets used to this, cut the pads in half and let him get used to them. slowly reduce the size of the pads until they are no more. That would be my only plan.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you for the reply! The fake grass is a great idea and something I will definitely try especially as I have artificial grass in my garden. I've ordered a crate for him and will definitely try that too. Thank you so much for the advice. I'll let you know how we get on :)

I also have artificial grass in the yard for the dogs, very similar to that tray I was using with the pee pad underneath.

This is the one I used:
1673478472368.jpeg

DeborahLove

Apr 23, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Nick
Here are some steps you can take:

Begin by moving the puppy pad closer to the door that leads to the outside. Over time, move it closer and closer to the door until it's just outside.

Take your bulldog outside frequently, especially after meals and naps. Use a cue word such as "go potty" to help him understand what you want him to do.

When you take your bulldog outside, bring a puppy pad with you and place it in the area where you want him to go. Encourage him to go on the pad with your cue word.

Gradually reduce the size of the puppy pad until it's just a small piece of it. Eventually, remove the pad altogether and encourage him to go directly on the grass or other outdoor surfaces.

Reward your bulldog with praise and treats every time he goes outside. This positive reinforcement will help him understand that going outside is a good thing.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with @DeborahLove on this method. You will have to observe him to see if there is a pattern to the time that he usually goes. You may also try this method with the "potty grass" if you have ordered it. It will take longer since he is older.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.