Bruno
9231F53D-82F7-4E52-9F55-C881C3D338C2.jpeg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Once again thank you for all your advice and help. Bruno has dramatically improved. I feel Iā€™ve attached a pic for you guys to see this is difference from 5 days antibiotics.
Vet told us likelihood has been he has been passed it from his mother and it lies dormant with a trigger as he is still only 9 months his immune isnā€™t fully developed and hopefully after this clear up will be great again!
Our environment isnā€™t the Scotland countryside you might imagine we stay in a town and although we have our garden and parks these arenā€™t anything like you see on braveheart unfortunately lol
Diet wise we changed to raw and it actually works out cheaper for us, for 20 bags of 454g itā€™s Ā£14.50 this lasts 2 weeks which I thought was brilliant and he seems really happy on it. We did use royal canin as a puppy which is what the breeder had given him but we found he wasnā€™t enjoying it, we then went to tails wjich is a company in the uk who cater to your dog and they were Ā£50 per month.
I think Iā€™m going to try focus getting him better before introducing fish oils however reading the benefits is great!

So happy to hear Bruno is getting better ! Which company are you using now for the raw food?

OP
Brunosmummy

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Itā€™s a couple who stay nearby, packet says Just Natural? He
Had chicken and tripe to start as he has had a bad reaction to duck in kibble as a puppy so avoiding that and now chicken and beef he weighs 22.8kg so going to keep an eye on him and see where we are in the next few weeks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Had chicken and tripe to start as he has had a bad reaction to duck in kibble as a puppy so avoiding that and now chicken and beef he weighs 22.8kg so going to keep an eye on him and see where we are in the next few weeks

Great update!! Raw is the best way to go if you can afford it.. stay that course! He is a beautiful little guy.

Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Raw frozen is great ! Keep up with the green tripe as well since he needs the probiotics from the tripe to restore his flora destroyed from the antibiotics. I'd look into giving him some salmon oil and coconut oil in future to help his skin even more.

OP
Brunosmummy

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
What levels of cocunut oil do you give and how often? I want to really give him the best possible once heā€™s finished his antibiotics.
Also I was told by vet to brush teeth each day however lady that provides his food said to give him natural bone instead? What would you guys recommend?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What levels of cocunut oil do you give and how often? I want to really give him the best possible once heā€™s finished his antibiotics.
Also I was told by vet to brush teeth each day however lady that provides his food said to give him natural bone instead? What would you guys recommend?

Natural bones all the way! My guys get raw marrow bones they are great for them and never had any teeth issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If heā€™ll let you brush his teeth and you have the time, do it along with the bones. Heā€™ll have the best bullysmile in the world.
Not to burst any bubble(because heā€™s looking great), but that rapid improvement was probably most attributable to the steroid, not so much the antibiotic. I say this only so you wonā€™t be overly concerned if, when the steroid effects begin to wain, he shows a little regression before completely clearing up. Heā€™s on his way to getting better. Additionally, you need to be aware that demodex infestation can take many months to completely cure...so gauge improvement in blocks of 2 weeks not days.
Please keep the pics coming...youā€™re doing a wonderful job!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If heā€™ll let you brush his teeth and you have the time, do it along with the bones. Heā€™ll have the best bullysmile in the world.
Not to burst any bubble(because heā€™s looking great), but that rapid improvement was probably most attributable to the steroid, not so much the antibiotic. I say this only so you wonā€™t be overly concerned if, when the steroid effects begin to wain, he shows a little regression before completely clearing up. Heā€™s on his way to getting better. Additionally, you need to be aware that demodex infestation can take many months to completely cure...so gauge improvement in blocks of 2 weeks not days.
Please keep the pics coming...youā€™re doing a wonderful job!

How is the demodex going to get better unless vet puts him on Nexgard ( or Advantage Multi ) ? Antibiotics are for the secondary staph infection.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I'd give organic virgin coconut oil 1 tsp per 10 pounds per day, start at 1/4 tsp per 10 pounds per day and gradually increase.

I'd give some days salmon or squid or krill oil ( open up caps ) and some days coconut oil, and if you do use the fish oil then give natural source vit e 400IU once weekly .

Healthy dogs can be given 100 to 150 mg EPA and DHA per 10 pounds of body weight daily; dogs who have health problems can be given up to 300 mg per 10 pounds of body weight.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
How is the demodex going to get better unless vet puts him on Nexgard ( or Advantage Multi ) ? Antibiotics are for the secondary staph infection.
I doubt that it will. I assumed that she would move forward with the Nexgard considering so many members already mentioned it. But kudos to you for reiterating! TYTY

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Nyala n Duke has about 100gr of frozen beef tripe daily as a snack. 3/4 of their meal is raw. Raw is the best probiotics you can give as a daily intake. Also like mentioned previously give fermented sauerkraut. Like a tablespoon daily. For the teeth, well yes good luck brushing that lol... marrow bones are the best and rubber toys as rubber keeps teeth white. Solid Rubber not any plastic.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Nyala n Duke has about 100gr of frozen beef tripe daily as a snack. 3/4 of their meal is raw. Raw is the best probiotics you can give as a daily intake. Also like mentioned previously give fermented sauerkraut. Like a tablespoon daily. For the teeth, well yes good luck brushing that lol... marrow bones are the best and rubber toys as rubber keeps teeth white. Solid Rubber not any plastic.

I like Chip's suggestion in an older post of a lacrosse ball for the solid rubber toy.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I doubt that it will. I assumed that she would move forward with the Nexgard considering so many members already mentioned it. But kudos to you for reiterating! TYTY

Vets nowadays prescribe a lot of unnecessary medications to generate more profit, especially at corporate owned veterinary clinics. Check out this excerpt from mercola pet site https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2018/01/05/conventional-veterinary-program-problems.aspx:

Banfield uses a proprietary software package called PetWare that steps veterinarians through the process of diagnosis and treatment. A manual comes with the software, and Clenfield provides a snapshot:

ā€œIn one example, explaining how the software is used to prescribe treatment, the book shows a checklist of therapies for a dog with atopic dermatitis, or itchy skin. Doctors are encouraged to recommend a biopsy, analgesics, topical medica*tions, antibiotics, a therapeutic dietary supplement, an allergy diet, and a flea control package.

Theyā€™re required to recommend antihistamines, shampoos, serum allergy testing, lab work, a skin diagnostic package, and anti-inflammatories. Itā€™s a treatment course that might run $900 for symptoms that, in a best-case scenario, indicate something as prosaic as fleas.ā€

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.