Picky eating?

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hi everyone! Iā€™ve been having a problem recently with Rocco not really wanting to eat his food. As a puppy the breeder fed him Victor dog food which I then transitioned him to Fromm puppy food after finding you guys! He did fine on that one and I kept it for awhile but his tear stains and paw licking got pretty bad that I tried to switch him to the Fromm white trout recipe. I slowly transitioned him to the Fromm white trout to see if that would help and it made him throw up so I stopped giving it to him. I tried doing cooked food of turkey, rice and vegetables and for 2 weeks and that also made him throw up twice like white foam so I think I wasnā€™t doing the proper measurements. Sorry to make this a long story but I decided to put him back on kibble and am trying the Blackwood white trout recipe but he just does not seem interested. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s maybe the fish he doesnā€™t like but Iā€™m struggling to find something thatā€™ll work. Any tips will help!

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Have you gone to the vet to do a fecal sample to check for parasites?
Maybe he has a really sensitive stomach and carbs or fat make him sick or he eats too fast.

Try Zignature limited ingredient or Vital Essentials Freeze Dried Raw. Seafood flavor is always a good choice due to the omega. Paw licking and tear stains, seems starches and carbs(even veggies high in carbs) really promotes yeast in bullies. Zignature does have some carb veggies though. I transitioned my dog from Zignature to VE over like a 4 week period because she has a very sensitive stomach. Maybe fast him for a day to rest his stomach. Feeding a bully is all about trial and error :)
*also my dog is allergic to soo many things but they did not arise until she turned 2 years old. We put her on an elimination diet to figure out what she was allergic to because I was not confident in the vet allergy tests.

OP
rocco24

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Have you gone to the vet to do a fecal sample to check for parasites?
Maybe he has a really sensitive stomach and carbs or fat make him sick or he eats too fast.

Try Zignature limited ingredient or Vital Essentials Freeze Dried Raw. Seafood flavor is always a good choice due to the omega. Paw licking and tear stains, seems starches and carbs(even veggies high in carbs) really promotes yeast in bullies. Zignature does have some carb veggies though. I transitioned my dog from Zignature to VE over like a 4 week period because she has a very sensitive stomach. Maybe fast him for a day to rest his stomach. Feeding a bully is all about trial and error :)
*also my dog is allergic to soo many things but they did not arise until she turned 2 years old. We put her on an elimination diet to figure out what she was allergic to because I was not confident in the vet allergy tests.
Thank you! Iā€™ll definitely check those out. I havenā€™t taken him to get a fecal recently I didnā€™t think of that but I will call his vet tomorrow!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! Iā€™ll definitely check those out. I havenā€™t taken him to get a fecal recently I didnā€™t think of that but I will call his vet tomorrow!
Agree.. try Zingnature limited ingredientā€¦. start with Duck, it seems to be the least allergen.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Was there any food in the "white foam"? Does he snore?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
No food in the white foam and yes he snores
This could be a soft palate issue. I'd have him evaluated for enlarged soft palate at next Vet visit. Your Vet should be of the "Seasoned Bulldog Vet" type.

OP
rocco24

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
This could be a soft palate issue. I'd have him evaluated for enlarged soft palate at next Vet visit. Your Vet should be of the "Seasoned Bulldog Vet" type.
Iā€™ll have to see if I can find one in vegas! I donā€™t believe his regular vet is. Would that have something to do with his eating habits?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Agree.. try Zingnature limited ingredientā€¦. start with Duck, it seems to be the least allergen.
We feed our allergic-to-everything EB's Zignature Kangaroo and it has been fantastic.

One of ours is incredibly picky about what she eats (and the other one is fat and always wants more food). Years ago our vet recommended putting chopped-up broccoli in with their food and it solved both problems.

It smells 'interesting' enough for the picky eater. And the 'slightly-cubby' one thinks he's getting extra food.

But as others have said.. its worth getting those other things checked out to be safe.

YDsmomma

Jul 8, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
YD
Iā€™ve been struggling with my dog also he was on royal canin from the breeder and then I switched him to Fromm which made his allergies flare up and thenI tried every zignature and it made him get consistent ear infections and allergy flares, I finally just gave up and did the allergy test for him and they gave him a prescription for royal canin šŸ™„ now heā€™s on square pet hydrolyzed protein dog food and heā€™s been doing great but heā€™s bored already and heā€™s allergic to so much stuff so we had to get a prescription for just for dogs skin and digestion and Iā€™ve been mixing that in with Greek yogurt, itā€™s a hit or miss when he eats it he will only eat it all if we go for a walk before each feeding šŸ¤£

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Raw dietā€¦Guarantee fur ball wonā€™t be picky.

If going with kibbles simply add raw organs as a topper.

OP
rocco24

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
We feed our allergic-to-everything EB's Zignature Kangaroo and it has been fantastic.

One of ours is incredibly picky about what she eats (and the other one is fat and always wants more food). Years ago our vet recommended putting chopped-up broccoli in with their food and it solved both problems.

It smells 'interesting' enough for the picky eater. And the 'slightly-cubby' one thinks he's getting extra food.

But as others have said.. its worth getting those other things checked out to be safe.
I just bought the Zignature Turkey since heā€™s never had that protein before so weā€™ll see how this one works out!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™ll have to see if I can find one in vegas! I donā€™t believe his regular vet is. Would that have something to do with his eating habits?
Unlikely...the throwing up and the "foodless foam" and the snoring all point to a palate problem. The not wanting to eat a particular food brand or flavor has everything to do with what tastes best, IMO. The food that you offer should eventually be eaten. Any dog will get hungry enough to eat what you provide...you simply have to wait them out. These guys can be food snobs and a bit manipulative. Do not give in or your Bulldog will eventually be eating chateaubriand and white asparagus.

OP
rocco24

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Unlikely...the throwing up and the "foodless foam" and the snoring all point to a palate problem. The not wanting to eat a particular food brand or flavor has everything to do with what tastes best, IMO. The food that you offer should eventually be eaten. Any dog will get hungry enough to eat what you provide...you simply have to wait them out. These guys can be food snobs and a bit manipulative. Do not give in or your Bulldog will eventually be eating chateaubriand and white asparagus.
I think thatā€™s the problem Iā€™m having! Iā€™ve offered a million options and now heā€™s on the Zignature turkey and he will sniff it and walk away but will eventually eat it. So I wasnā€™t sure if something was wrong or if he just doesnā€™t want what Iā€™m giving him.

Members online

No members online now.