ThatsBull

Sep 10, 2014
Saskatchewan
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tia
Hi there,

So, with my recent $1500 in vet bills for my old man Rotty (not bad seeing as he spent 5 days and nights in the vet clinic), I was wondering if any of you Canadian EB owners have pet insurance, and if you do, who through?

When I adopted Tia, the manager at the SPCA told me that the vet who did their entry exam suggested I get pet insurance (I had adopted her within 24 hours of her coming into the SPCA, but couldn't take her home until after her vet check) due to health issues.

I am doing research on the soft palate resection (or whatever it is...the SPCA's vet just said "the nasal surgery"), and my vet and I ended up thinking it was best, would it be covered by insurance?

I would really appreciate any information anyone has on this subject! I am totally lost!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We do no use insurance, we have a credit card that is just for the pups.

Keep in mind, if it is already listed in her records that she needs the surgery or it is recommended, ALL/ANY insurance company will not cover it. They will see it as a preexisting condition and I think, could be wrong, but the palate surgery is usually not covered as it is so common with the breed.

I have had two go through the procedure and something to think about is to wait until she is 2 years old to have it done. the tissue can continue to grow until that age, but if it is really bad now, you may not have a choice to wait

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we used petsecure in Canada which I canceled once they lowered the percentage of coverage from 80% to 60%. The issue you will have, unfortunately, is that your vet has already discussed elongated palate and insurance companies will under no circumstances cover preexisting conditions. Even if it hasn't been properly diagnosed yet, because you discussed it, its likely in the chart, and the insurance company WILL call your vet.

We got petsecure level 2 coverage the day Lola came home as a puppy. We paid about $55/month for about 30 months, and they in turn covered 80% of her vet costs (not including wellness/vaccines), after a $500 deductible (this can be lower in return for paying higher monthly premiums). We got skin allergies, palate surgery and tooth extracted for this coverage, which was great. Until they decided that she was higher risk and lowered the coverage rate. I cancelled, because the major surgeries she needed were done, she's not prone to eating crap in our house which would require expensive xrays or surgeries to extract something from her belly, and her allergies are manageable. To me, the cost of maintaining the insurance for the little return expected (plus they made me pretty upset by reducing her coverage for two one-time expenses) wasn't worth it.

But we can cover her medical expenses out of our savings account, which was always the case, as we knew bulldogs come with not only a hefty price tag, but hefty medical costs as well. I'm very happy that the costs of bulldogs can weed out the owners who aren't prepared to pay thousands of dollars in medical bills if necessary, which in many cases, it is.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
We are switching currently petsecure but talking to friends and workers they aII suggest Trupanion

OP
ThatsBull

ThatsBull

Sep 10, 2014
Saskatchewan
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tia
My vet has not discussed it with me. I have avoided taking her to the vet (not that she needs to go right now) yet because I would ike to have insurance in place and hopefully avoid the "pre-existing" situation. Since she was an SPCA adoption she was vaccinated etc when I got her.

I didnt even know there was a surgery until the SPCA lady mentioned it. Then my best friend who is pretty dog knowledgable explained what it does. She currently has no medical chart, etc. She is not really bad currently I dont think, but just preparing myself for what I suspect is inevitable.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I researched here in the states and the best I found was Trupanion. I was going to get it for both boys. However after reading the policy I said no way. I'm starting a savings account and letting it grow for whatever might come. The one thing that got me the most was you can't move. If after paying for two three years you move the insurance is policy in place is null and void. Read the fine print and start a savings. Plus you earn the interest versus the insurance company.

bullybaby

Jul 25, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
I have tuperion. They cover everything that bulldogs are common in getting. As long as it is not pre existing. The waiting period is 5 days for accidental and 30 days for medical issues. I pay 75 a month with a $330 deductable. But they are not like petsecure from what reviews say they cover 90%

MattyBull

Jun 16, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I have tuperion. They cover everything that bulldogs are common in getting. As long as it is not pre existing. The waiting period is 5 days for accidental and 30 days for medical issues. I pay 75 a month with a $330 deductable. But they are not like petsecure from what reviews say they cover 90%
I think you mean Trupanion!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I don’t use insurances. I have a credit card just for the dogs. Nyala almost 7 n Jake 5.5. Will have to admit n knock on wood barely used it. I believe a healthy diet you’ll avoid seeing the vet.

We read so often in here how owners just recently visited the vet n you’ll realize cause 1/2 of their visits their dogs are on Royal Canin or Science Hill cause vet recommend. Just like humans, old saying……

You are what you eat.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.