Help Needed! Pericardial effusion? Cardiac tamponade? I need some advice...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH! hopefully something opens up for a sooner appointment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait... I meant university?

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
So...good news is I found another practice that does ultrasounds onsite and they can see her in a couple of hours. I am so very afraid of what we will find out but at least I will know that I have done everything I can if there is truly no hope. I don't know how to feel right now.

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
It is the worst case scenario. Addy has a bleeding tumor in her heart that is causing her other organs to malfunction. thus the fluid in her abdomen. The doctor was very kind, but said that she could literally die in hours should her heart "explode". He encouraged me to consider euthanizing her so that this does not happen at home because it is very hard to witness and would be terrible for her. I am so very heartbroken. Thanks to all of you for being so kind and encouraging. I dont know when we will say goodbye to her. My husband and I will talk about it when he gets home.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is the worst case scenario. Addy has a bleeding tumor in her heart that is causing her other organs to malfunction. thus the fluid in her abdomen. The doctor was very kind, but said that she could literally die in hours should her heart "explode". He encouraged me to consider euthanizing her so that this does not happen at home because it is very hard to witness and would be terrible for her. I am so very heartbroken. Thanks to all of you for being so kind and encouraging. I dont know when we will say goodbye to her. My husband and I will talk about it when he gets home.

Sweet Jesus... sweet incredibly heart broken for you all! Love on her and spoil her as much as you can.

Sending tons of hugs and prayers to you all

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
Sweet Jesus... sweet incredibly heart broken for you all! Love on her and spoil her as much as you can.

Sending tons of hugs and prayers to you all

Thank you. We have decided to take it day by day. My vet said that in 25 years of practice she has never seen a case where a dog's heart has actually exploded (that is not the way she worded it, but I cannot remember how she said it). She said that it is much more likely that we will notice Addy declining much in the way we did when we originally took her to the emergency vet. She is still having good days right now. It could literally be any day. So, if she feels good we are just going to treat each day she stays with us like a party. Today she ate chicken twice. She had some high-end jerky. We went to Starbucks and got her a puppachino and she had a bite of cheese danish. We tried to give her a cheeseburger from Culvers but she really wasnt that into it, surprisingly. She did have some bacon. This really makes me wish we would have celebrated her more when she was well. Life with a new baby (and a baby on the way) made things pretty hectic. If nothing else is gained by anyone who reads this thread, I hope it is to cherish and spoil those bully babies while you can.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you. We have decided to take it day by day. My vet said that in 25 years of practice she has never seen a case where a dog's heart has actually exploded (that is not the way she worded it, but I cannot remember how she said it). She said that it is much more likely that we will notice Addy declining much in the way we did when we originally took her to the emergency vet. She is still having good days right now. It could literally be any day. So, if she feels good we are just going to treat each day she stays with us like a party. Today she ate chicken twice. She had some high-end jerky. We went to Starbucks and got her a puppachino and she had a bite of cheese danish. We tried to give her a cheeseburger from Culvers but she really wasnt that into it, surprisingly. She did have some bacon. This really makes me wish we would have celebrated her more when she was well. Life with a new baby (and a baby on the way) made things pretty hectic. If nothing else is gained by anyone who reads this thread, I hope it is to cherish and spoil those bully babies while you can.

(((((Hugs)))))). Give her a steak from me

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You rescued Addy. You saved her life, and gave her a good life. Addy knows that and knows how much you love her. Do not feel guilt for anything,as she has had a good life with you,and your family. You are still doing the best and giving her enjoyment :heart:in her life.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.