Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Diesel, Alise, Pia & Piglet Wiggle Britches
Hello. We have some beautiful puppies! Unfortunately one of them, a sweet little female, has pectus excavatum. She was able to walk when her siblings first did (she wasn't a swimmer's puppy) and does great with that and running with the exception of one of her legs bows a little. That leg is starting to straighten out more and more. Our vet can do the surgery after she turns 8 weeks old. She is such a sweet and very beautiful little bully!! I feel that she could be such a blessing for someone who would be a good bulldog parent, but with the understanding that it COULD be possible for more medical problems on down the line. She seems to be getting better in the last week or so (she will be 6 weeks old on Monday). As I have researched this, I have found out that any of them can get this and that many breeders with lots of grand champion lines (such as we have), also run across this occasionally. I also know that people can be a bit narrow minded and think there may be something wrong with the lines. No one knows why this happens...it just does...in all breeds. There is just a better chance in brachycephalic breeds. I did have to work on her extra long when she was born to keep her alive. Maybe this is the reason a lot of the breeders lose some of their pups. I think it's possible they retain more fluid than normal chested pups. I don't know, but this is devastating!:cry::cry::cry: She is such a happy and wonderful little wiggle-but who loves to play and give kisses and snuggle. I feel that there is a perfect home out there that she could be an essential family member of. My question is, do you feel that it would be fair of me to find a family for her? Also, do you think that would make a huge red flag on me as a breeder? We won't be having another batch of babies for another year (provided the breeding takes), so I am taking in all the wonders of puppy hood and puppy breath that I can possibly absorb. This little girl makes us laugh many times a day and she is awesome. She is not suffering or having a hard time breathing and is always the first one in the food trough:drawheart: I just want to do what is best for her and for anyone that may be able to become a part of her life. I just don't want the humans that love her have to suffer either. My thinking is that bulldogs are such an amazement to have in my life, that it is worth it even if I have to suffer the heartache of losing one of them early. I would keep her, but I already have my quota. Any thoughts are appreciated.:help:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Do the initial surgery and if you find her a home, place her for free with the understanding that there may one day be the need for additional treatment. To the best of my knowledge(which isn't much) there's no genetic tie. I doubt very much that it would affect breeder reputation.

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
If we lived closer I would take her in!!!!!

She deserves a loving home and with another bullie would be amazing for her growth with her difficulties

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do the initial surgery and if you find her a home, place her for free with the understanding that there may one day be the need for additional treatment. To the best of my knowledge(which isn't much) there's no genetic tie. I doubt very much that it would affect breeder reputation.

❤️... agreed!! :ponder: how long of a drive to North Dakota from PA? :ponder:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
hey wait a min........... do we get to see thes little ones???????? :) please

OP
D

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Absolutely!! Love to show off the bullies. I am pretty sure bulldogs make the most photogenic pictures ever!! The lighter brindle piebald is little Miss Clarice herself (you probably can't even tell there is something wrong with her). The darker brindle piebald is her big sis Holly Bear. The little cutie with the patch on his eye is her brother Yukon Cornelius. Of course I had to add a few cute pics, such as the one of her waving Hi to get my attention:D. And I had to include some pics after eating their gruel before I sent in mamma for clean up crew:giggle:

Attachments

• IMG_7383.jpg
    IMG_7383.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_7373.JPG
    IMG_7373.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_7358.jpg
    IMG_7358.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7359.jpg
    IMG_7359.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_7368.jpg
    IMG_7368.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_7365.JPG
    IMG_7365.JPG
    983 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_7375.jpg
    IMG_7375.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_7340.JPG
    IMG_7340.JPG
    998.7 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_7306.jpg
    IMG_7306.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
OP
D

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I agree with you. I wasn't planning on charging for the puppy. I was kind of hoping to maybe get some help for the surgery cost, but who knows. There are x-rays and such along with the surgery. It won't be cheap but we do have a wonderful vet that we are so happy to have found! I will work overtime or whatever is necessary, but it's hard to be gone any more than my full-time job already because I need to get home to my bullies. I hire someone to take care of them when no one else is home. I want the home to be someone who at least has a good knowledge of bulldogs, had one previously or currently has one. Of course I would have to explain as much as I possibly could about all the future possible heartache there might be. I wish I had a much bigger house, more money, more time, and so on and so on....

OP
D

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
❤️... agreed!! :ponder: how long of a drive to North Dakota from PA? :ponder:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awww...that is so sweet. She would fit right in, you know. She has already seen a few Packers games:football:

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
As far as I know, p.excavatum happens out of blue and isn’t considered to be inherited disease, actually cause of it in dogs or humans is unknown, most probably spontaneous mutation, so it cannot affect reputation of your sir and Dam or your reputation as a breeder. There is no recommendations to stop breeding or anything of that sort. So no worries about this issue.
It also happens in people, and surgery is performed if defect is large. If it’s not large, no treatment is needed.
i didn’t see her, but from what you say - she is active, eats and breathes well, no signs of problems- I think, she will have a good quality life and may be won’t even need a surgery. Sometimes defect can progress with age, it depends on what is the cause of defect - there are different structural abnormalities that can be the underlying cause. E.g. if it’s ligaments which pull wrong way, it can get worse, but only time can tell how it will develop. But for now her outlook is good.

I would propose just to be very careful who you give her to. May be don’t charge money, just find her devoted and bulldog-experienced family which knows that bulldogs are demanding breed and can require expensive surgeries.
It is also important that her future family is emotionally stable and knows that her future could be uncertain and be ok with it, because some people (especially lonely or emotionally fragile) get too attached to their pets and for them known health issues can be a deterrent not even because they don’t want to handle it financially, but cannot even think about dealing with those issues or death of pet emotionally.

OP
D

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
As far as I know, p.excavatum happens out of blue and isn’t considered to be inherited disease, actually cause of it in dogs or humans is unknown, most probably spontaneous mutation, so it cannot affect reputation of your sir and Dam or your reputation as a breeder. There is no recommendations to stop breeding or anything of that sort. So no worries about this issue.
It also happens in people, and surgery is performed if defect is large. If it’s not large, no treatment is needed.
i didn’t see her, but from what you say - she is active, eats and breathes well, no signs of problems- I think, she will have a good quality life and may be won’t even need a surgery. Sometimes defect can progress with age, it depends on what is the cause of defect - there are different structural abnormalities that can be the underlying cause. E.g. if it’s ligaments which pull wrong way, it can get worse, but only time can tell how it will develop. But for now her outlook is good.

I would propose just to be very careful who you give her to. May be don’t charge money, just find her devoted and bulldog-experienced family which knows that bulldogs are demanding breed and can require expensive surgeries.
It is also important that her future family is emotionally stable and knows that her future could be uncertain and be ok with it, because some people (especially lonely or emotionally fragile) get too attached to their pets and for them known health issues can be a deterrent not even because they don’t want to handle it financially, but cannot even think about dealing with those issues or death of pet emotionally.

Thank you so much for this, Natallia. That is pretty much what I have found in my research as well. It's just kind of sad and makes you second guess yourself on what you did wrong and how you could have done it better. I even momentarily thought I should never breed them again. I know that is the wrong way to think. She gets her x-Rays on Monday to see the extent of it and get her measurements, but she does seem better as she gets older. I am hopeful, like you said, that it seems as if her outlook is good.

I did not think about the emotional stability, but that makes complete sense. My parents love our Diesel so much that I was almost thinking about giving Clarice to them if they would like (then I could still keep her in the family, lol). But I think they would fall so madly in love with her that it would be too hard on them if she passed away or had to be put to sleep. Of course we always look for financially stable homes and always tell them how expensive it can be. The financial thing should be covered as we want any bulldog back here with us if the original new homes can no longer care for them for any reason. (I still need a bigger home, more money, ect, ect....then I could have more bulldogs:pray:). Thank you again for your outlook and shedding more light on other things!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
SUCH BEAUTIFUL PUPPIES AND SO MUCH LOVE FOR THEM IN YOUR POST.

IF MISS CLARICE DOES NEED SURGERY MAYBE DO AN AUCTION OR
FUNDRAISER, COULD YOUR LOCAL TV DO A SEGMENT ON HER &
SPREAD THE WORD? YOUR VET CLINIC COULD SELL T-SHIRITS WITH
HER PRECIOUS FACE AND DONATION JARS AROUND TOWN ( PET
STORES, GROOMING & BOARDING FACILITIES, ETC).

SENDING PTAYERS FOR SUCCESS FOR THE PERFECT OUTCOME AND
HOME FOR ALL YOUR BABIES. THANK YOU FOR PICTURES TO DROOL
OVER AND PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH! GOD BLESS YOU & YOURS :)

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
Yup! It’s official!
I need another bullie baby

They are so cute

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg they are perfect! and your heart for them too :) Im sure all will turn out just as it should, as you'll make sure of it it's obvious :) Thanks for sharing, they are all gorgeous!!!!!!

OP
D

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
SUCH BEAUTIFUL PUPPIES AND SO MUCH LOVE FOR THEM IN YOUR POST.

IF MISS CLARICE DOES NEED SURGERY MAYBE DO AN AUCTION OR
FUNDRAISER, COULD YOUR LOCAL TV DO A SEGMENT ON HER &
SPREAD THE WORD? YOUR VET CLINIC COULD SELL T-SHIRITS WITH
HER PRECIOUS FACE AND DONATION JARS AROUND TOWN ( PET
STORES, GROOMING & BOARDING FACILITIES, ETC).

SENDING PTAYERS FOR SUCCESS FOR THE PERFECT OUTCOME AND
HOME FOR ALL YOUR BABIES. THANK YOU FOR PICTURES TO DROOL
OVER AND PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH! GOD BLESS YOU & YOURS :)

Thank you so much for such wonderful ideals!! :goodpost:I never thought about help from the community. I think there are a lot of good people out there and this would tug on some heartstrings. ND is not well know for English Bulldogs, so it would also be great to get some awareness out there. You are brilliant!! Thanks!!!
I am glad to report that her leg is hardly ever bowed looking anymore. She is getting so strong! I will have to post a video of them playing...Heaven!! Her ribs do not seem quite as curved out as they were. They go in for their 6 weeks check-up, ect today and Miss Clarice gets her X-rays. I am almost excited for them to do the measurements because it no longer seems as devastating as it used to. I know she will be such a wonderful little companion and member of some family and I think it will be for a very long time!:drawheart: God Bless you, as well!!

OP
D

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
omg they are perfect! and your heart for them too :) Im sure all will turn out just as it should, as you'll make sure of it it's obvious :) Thanks for sharing, they are all gorgeous!!!!!!

Thank you for that. I am so blessed to have them in my life and she will become a blessing for someone else...they all will, actually!! It is so much fun to bring others such happiness!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.