General Question Overexcitable

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
So bear loves strangers and other dogs which is a given for this breed however he seems to get too overexcited when he meets his "friends" I'm fully aware of his breathing issues as our vet has spoken to us regarding elongated soft palate surgery however she isn't comfortable doing the surgery on bear until he is a full adult (1 1/2 to 2 years old) my question is, is there any training I can do with him in order to prevent him from getting overwhelmed in public? It's so bad that he got over excited in the waiting room of the vets office because he was meeting the two nurses [emoji854] but luckily we keep waters and towels in the car incase of emergency. Thank you guys!!
88bc2854be6c0d94abf7b9acecae21a5.jpg

A little bear photo because I can't help it (he just turned 6 months!!!!)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So bear loves strangers and other dogs which is a given for this breed however he seems to get too overexcited when he meets his "friends" I'm fully aware of his breathing issues as our vet has spoken to us regarding elongated soft palate surgery however she isn't comfortable doing the surgery on bear until he is a full adult (1 1/2 to 2 years old) my question is, is there any training I can do with him in order to prevent him from getting overwhelmed in public? It's so bad that he got over excited in the waiting room of the vets office because he was meeting the two nurses [emoji854] but luckily we keep waters and towels in the car incase of emergency. Thank you guys!!
88bc2854be6c0d94abf7b9acecae21a5.jpg

A little bear photo because I can't help it (he just turned 6 months!!!!)

Your dog has been through a lot with his Pavo. Heā€™s finally on track n giving you grief hahahaā€¦..ENJOY your toddler!

Ok seriously, so Jake has anxiety. Gets over excited n pants like hell. I put him on a diet even though he wasnā€™t fat but he lost 10lbs. I swear his breathing is like day and night. He also takes cbc oil every other day. Heā€™s much calmer. But again, yours is only a pup. I rather have an active dog than one doesnā€™t move. Much healthier :yes:

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Bear is a real cutie pie. Thanks for posting that picture. Gabe doesn't get that way with excitement so we can't help any. Sorry. He only likes to "Twerk" when he gets around strangers. LOL.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can try some .. nothing in life is free training. Try wait, stay type training and see if it helps settlehim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
This is Gilbert almost to a tee! My husband, our son and myself get the wigglebutt/twerk when we come thru the door....as for others that come over...he goes crazy! The panting sometimes doesn't seem to stop for up to an hour or more afterwards. Even when he is just playing he will get himself all worked up and will need to stop and take a few minute break to rest and catch his breath. When he tends to get overexcited I will get out the ice cubes...seem to help. Or I have to put him in his tent just so he will take a break from the other people. If the guests are long term he does get use to them being around. I am sure Gilbert has some sort of palate issue which I will address with his vet next week at his 1Yr visit. I am also thinking he does definitely have some anxiety as well...why he doesn't like walks and/or car rides I am sure. When we have been on a walk (when weather was cooler) gilbert will start panting almost immediately..we only go around the one block..I am afraid of overdoing it with him.

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Ok seriously, so Jake has anxiety. Gets over excited n pants like hell. I put him on a diet even though he wasnā€™t fat but he lost 10lbs. I swear his breathing is like day and night. He also takes cbc oil every other day. Heā€™s much calmer. But again, yours is only a pup. I rather have an active dog than one doesnā€™t move. Much healthier :yes:[/QUOTE]

This is Gilbert! I am going to talk to our vet next week about things...do you think this is Gilbert's issue as well (anxiety and/or palate)? Since I switched him to Acana single protein his weight has been a steady 57lbs and then went down to 55 when started him on goats milk as a topper. He is not fat..has a defined waist. Am very interested in starting him on the CBD if that will help (probably should talk to vet first about it?)

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Ok seriously, so Jake has anxiety. Gets over excited n pants like hell. I put him on a diet even though he wasnā€™t fat but he lost 10lbs. I swear his breathing is like day and night. He also takes cbc oil every other day. Heā€™s much calmer. But again, yours is only a pup. I rather have an active dog than one doesnā€™t move. Much healthier :yes:

This is Gilbert! I am going to talk to our vet next week about things...do you think this is Gilbert's issue as well (anxiety and/or palate)? Since I switched him to Acana single protein his weight has been a steady 57lbs and then went down to 55 when started him on goats milk as a topper. He is not fat..has a defined waist. Am very interested in starting him on the CBD if that will help (probably should talk to vet first about it?)[/QUOTE]

Gilbert sounds exactly like Bear except I'm positive bear has zero anxiety, he loves car rides, loves going on walks and never cares when we leave (I think he chews stuff up because he has no impulse control lol) since he is so hyper around guest exactly like you said (he gets to the point where he doesn't listen) we've decided to start looking into obedience classes for him! Just in order to maintain control when he does feel the need to wig out lol but I think this is best since he isn't eligible for the surgery yet! Let me know what works for sweet Gilbert please!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.