URGENT!!! Our 14 week old baby bulldog died during cherry eye surgery :(

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, you are right that it will cost a lot but might not bring results.
Just want to add that it is not unusual to do both eyes, even if other eye never fell out, because almost 100% cases very soon after first eye second cherry eye comes out, so almost always they tuck both eyes, even if second eye is fine. Otherwise, you subject dog to anaesthesia, do one eye and may be a month later second eye goes bad. This, actually, was right. But nothing else.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
But can they refuse you to give a prescription for autopsy? What I would do, I would go there and require a autopsy prescription from your vet, if clinic wants it. I’m sure they can’t refuse by the law.
If they refuse, I would threaten them that I will complain.
May be then, they either give you autopsy prescription, or, what I think is more probable, they will suggest you some reimbursement. It is often that doctors are scared of investigation and will rather settle the problem, because for them paying some money is easier than reputational losses.
Nothing will ease your pain and trauma of loss, but at least you will have some money back.
Tell them that you know that this eye surgery on such a tiny bulldog wasn’t urgent, they could use antibiotic and hormones eyedrops to reduce swelling and push it back. My dog is 3 yo and lives with cherry eye happily.
Be strong and push them a bit.

You can take your dog to YOUR vet to have a necropsy done... they can't stop you. Or at least that is the law in this state, I'm honestly not sure if everywhere is like that. Animals are considered personal property.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We aren't interested in the money and we had pet insurance. It's just the sheer lack of compassion and lies behind this! It was actually the vet not the nurse that said they had damaged his throat!
The only necropsy we can get is in edinburgh and we don't think we will get the answers because we think they are all in it together! This practice manager said she would arrange it but wants £500 up front and we don't want to give them any more of our money! Their fault so shouldn't they pay?? He is due for cremation tomorrow :( I think we should let him go and go to press! We read others have done this. We will remain factual because they'll end up sueing us!
It also transpired my daughter asked them to check his other eye and without examination they said okay we will do both today for £650 !!! Wtf??? Proof they are not bothered about the stress they've put on us and our Joey. Is this vet lark actually regulated?? Sorry we are just so angry and hurt.

I understand not wanting to pay the money... please go after them in the press. Sounds like to me that they KNOW they totally screwed this up... they should NOT charge you for the surgery. At least others will be forewarned of their practice, and what happened. Again... my deepest condolences, we went thru this hell as well.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah, you are right that it will cost a lot but might not bring results.
Just want to add that it is not unusual to do both eyes, even if other eye never fell out, because almost 100% cases very soon after first eye second cherry eye comes out, so almost always they tuck both eyes, even if second eye is fine. Otherwise, you subject dog to anaesthesia, do one eye and may be a month later second eye goes bad. This, actually, was right. But nothing else.

I beg to differ... we had Willow's cherry eye surgery done, and her other eye was completely fine. Why on earth a vet would even suggest doing the other eye w/no symptoms is beyond me. That is when you KNOW they are just in it for the money... period!!!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
So sorry for your lost. I have nothing to add except i hope you find comfort in your heart knowing he was surrounded by people that loved him.

OP
W

Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Joey 💔 Daphne and Bruce
But can they refuse you to give a prescription for autopsy? What I would do, I would go there and require a autopsy prescription from your vet, if clinic wants it. I’m sure they can’t refuse by the law.
If they refuse, I would threaten them that I will complain.
May be then, they either give you autopsy prescription, or, what I think is more probable, they will suggest you some reimbursement. It is often that doctors are scared of investigation and will rather settle the problem, because for them paying some money is easier than reputational losses.
Nothing will ease your pain and trauma of loss, but at least you will have some money back.
Tell them that you know that this eye surgery on such a tiny bulldog wasn’t urgent, they could use antibiotic and hormones eyedrops to reduce swelling and push it back. My dog is 3 yo and lives with cherry eye happily.
Be strong and push them a bit.

[MENTION=18846]Wendy Anne[/MENTION] I am so very very sorry for the loss of you daughter’s pup! How tragic! I pray that you find answers and comfort!

Disgusting! So sorry for your loss. What a shame. I would try to bully this vet a bit that you will write non-stop negative reviews on him. And I would try to get money from him.

Could lose his eye from a cherry eye?!?!? Man your post really hits me how many more and more incompetent vets that are out there handling our pets.

Again NOT your fault. :no:

Thanks for your reply! Yes I know we have felt like it. So much bullshit the manager gave us! Couldn't give an answer to 'Did the benefits outweigh the risks?' All she said was 'Well he could have lost his eye'... He lost his life!!! This is unbearable. Wish I'd asked on here first!! We just didn't know :( we just want our baby back

[MENTION=18846]Wendy Anne[/MENTION] I am so sorry for your loss. I would have throat punched that idiot vet, and then sued them. You don't do surgery on a 14 week old pup for cherry eye. What a total idiot that vet is. I am totally pissed, and so sorry for your loss. Your baby deserved better than that.

I don’t know the laws in UK but I don’t understand why you can’t bring him to a vet school without a referral to determine what happened.

This is NOT your fault whatsoever. Please don’t blame yourself. You trusted this vet and I can guarantee you wouldn’t be the first one either.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] who’s the other member in UK? Maybe they can help? Idk.

Thank you all so much it means a lot to our family that we are not alone in this and that others have had their terrible losses too.
We are going to take it to the press. Hope to smear their name so nobody else goes thru this pain for the love of money!! I'll send a link when my daughter and her hubby appear in the newspapers.
Love and cuddles to you all xx

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you all so much it means a lot to our family that we are not alone in this and that others have had their terrible losses too.
We are going to take it to the press. Hope to smear their name so nobody else goes thru this pain for the love of money!! I'll send a link when my daughter and her hubby appear in the newspapers.

yes Send it please I have family in UK and they will be please to share the hell out on their FB...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I am sorry I'm alate to this.... but after reading the entire thread... the gang has you covered and we are all with you. I am so angry for you and upset I want to scream, vomit and as [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] so eloquently stated... throat punch some one!

Sending you tons of hugs and support ... we are here , please stay with us and keep us posted. We will all share the story on FB so post the link for us once you are published.

OP
W

Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Joey 💔 Daphne and Bruce
I beg to differ... we had Willow's cherry eye surgery done, and her other eye was completely fine. Why on earth a vet would even suggest doing the other eye w/no symptoms is beyond me. That is when you KNOW they are just in it for the money... period!!!

yes Send it please I have family in UK and they will be please to share the hell out on their FB...

I am sorry I'm alate to this.... but after reading the entire thread... the gang has you covered and we are all with you. I am so angry for you and upset I want to scream, vomit and as [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] so eloquently stated... throat punch some one!

Sending you tons of hugs and support ... we are here , please stay with us and keep us posted. We will all share the story on FB so post the link for us once you are published.
Thank you 2BullyMama that means a great deal to us.
Just wish we did this before :( Hindsight ...... grrrr

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
So very sorry for your loss. This is so sad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Joey 💔 Daphne and Bruce
So very sorry for your loss. This is so sad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you Kalyn :(
Means a lot to know others care so much about the treatment of our little Joey xxx God bless

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am late to this and I am so sorry and very angry for you. If he hasn't already been cremated, I would delay that until you get answers. If your vet (and I use that term very loosely) refuses that then I would take possession of your dog. It may sound gross but you can put him in a home freezer. My friends in the UK did that with their Pyrenean Mountain dog when the ground was too hard to dig his grave. Without him you have no proof of anything. Call every Veterinarian body you can come up with, even DEFRA. How awful.

OP
W

Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Joey 💔 Daphne and Bruce
I am late to this and I am so sorry and very angry for you. If he hasn't already been cremated, I would delay that until you get answers. If your vet (and I use that term very loosely) refuses that then I would take possession of your dog. It may sound gross but you can put him in a home freezer. My friends in the UK did that with their Pyrenean Mountain dog when the ground was too hard to dig his grave. Without him you have no proof of anything. Call every Veterinarian body you can come up with, even DEFRA. How awful.

Thank you for your kind response.
Our little boy was cremated today and my daughter and husband felt they had to let him go...They couldn't stand him being in the cold on his own.
We won't leave it at that however! There are too many things that happened and that cannot be denied because the vet herself gave herself away!
We've spoken to the newspapers today who were equally shocked.
I hope the butcher shop feel like it was worth it!
We're so angry but trying to be grateful for the absolute love and sunshine he brought into the life of this family! IMG-20190205-WA0001.jpg

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Thank you for your kind response.
Our little boy was cremated today and my daughter and husband felt they had to let him go...They couldn't stand him being in the cold on his own.
We won't leave it at that however! There are too many things that happened and that cannot be denied because the vet herself gave herself away!
We've spoken to the newspapers today who were equally shocked.
I hope the butcher shop feel like it was worth it!
We're so angry but trying to be grateful for the absolute love and sunshine he brought into the life of this family! View attachment 115466

I certainly understand your feelings about letting him go. So very sad. Please let us know what happens with this and I know we are all thinking of you and wishing you luck.

OP
W

Wendy Anne

Feb 3, 2019
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Joey 💔 Daphne and Bruce
I certainly understand your feelings about letting him go. So very sad. Please let us know what happens with this and I know we are all thinking of you and wishing you luck.
Thank you 1Chumly. We will keep this updated!
We don't want anyone to suffer this pain
I truly believed that vets adored and treat animals better than humans! We are really so naive! But not anymore and especially since finding this site we feel more prepared and a lot more savvy to the needs of these beautiful, yet quite complex creatures!
My daughter has her order in for next baby who is fathered by Joey's dad so at least we'll have his blood family and hopefully his very naughty temperament!!
Looking forward...and again thank you all so very much for the support you all sent us over this past terrible 6 days.
Love and blessings xx

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.