Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Not sure what happened but her little face was swollen. Dr said she had some sort of allergic reaction....Gave her prednisone and benedryl in the office. She gave us an extra course in case it happens again. If you remember...this same thing happened last year and we thought a bug bite or a topical allergy to the mato plants. Well....it's too cold and rainy for bees (I've only seen a few collecting pollen in the front yard and this would have been in the back yard) and we have no mato plants or any plants in the back yard.

Poor girl. So we are doing a Prednisone taper for about 15 days....and she also suggested Orion might benefit from the nasal surgery. Widening her passage to help her get some better air. This doesn't shock me...but it's about 5 years too late.

We've been going to this office for many many years....granted, Vegas is usually the focus.

But she will be 6 this June. Isn't putting her under for this a little too risky? Or would the benefits outweigh the danger?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor Orion! Martha went through the same thing last year, but I saw her go after a wasp! It got her. I know it's warmer here? but I have already seen bees and a wasp or two! Martha had the pred and benedryl too. Could have been a stray bee that got O. Ahh, I remember the "mato pox!" No advice from me about the surgery-unless it's a real breathing problem........for her.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Orion, I hope she's okay, I agree it still could have been a bee, or maybe even ants? I would be worried also about such a big surgery since she is older. There are always risks of surgery and anesthetic for bullies, but that risk increases when hey are older, I agree with Lynn, to do the surgery only if it absolutely necessary and if the benefits outweigh the risks. If her breathing isn't that bad, I would leave it

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor O. My boys have had this happen a couple of times, but cortisone has always helped and we never found out what caused the swelling.
Surgery is never without risks, even with humans. Is her breathing so bad that YOU think the benefits out weight the risks?
My Usko's breathing is still audible, but only in very stressfull situations, like sometimes at the vets office. Otherwise he does just great.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
She is relaxed right now and very awake. Take a listen. I should also mentioned that after each meal she throws up phlegm.https://vimeo.com/122902604

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Does she ever stop breathing when she sleeps?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
It does sound like she struggles to get air in-not really like a snore. I would say it is totally your call-how is she with activity? I know we are all so afraid of surgery :*(

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Does she ever stop breathing when she sleeps?

She will sometimes pause.

It does sound like she struggles to get air in-not really like a snore. I would say it is totally your call-how is she with activity? I know we are all so afraid of surgery :*(

So afraid. She does get winded often...so we limit her activity. When she does get winded, excited...or angry she will throw up phlegm.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] You are between a rock and a hard place, for sure. Has it always been like this-or is it getting worse with age? You will just have to follow your gut on this,
unless it is getting worse-then it may be necessary....

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
@Libra926 You are between a rock and a hard place, for sure. Has it always been like this-or is it getting worse with age? You will just have to follow your gut on this,
unless it is getting worse-then it may be necessary....

I have to agree with Lynn. If you think it's getting worse it's better to do it sooner than later.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Cheryl, now would be a good time to discuss your concerns w/your vet, the pro's and con's ; if he suggested this surgery in the first place, then I'm inclined to think that he feels confident that Orion will have a successful surgery. Also, look at Orion's overall health--heart and lungs normal, that type of thing. Even tho she'll be almost 6yo, if she's a healthy 6yo, then the surgery may be something to consider, especially if it will give her a better QOL.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor baby O, hope she feels better soon. The surgery will help, and as long as she is in good health, she should be fine through the surgery.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Bella would have episodes where her entire face would swell… I would rush her in and they would give her prednisone and benadryl. We never really discovered the cause, I just assumed it was an insect of some kind… I'm glad that she seems to be doing better today.

I agree w/the gang… out way the pros and cons w/your vet. Surgery is always a risk, but if she is otherwise healthy it may be better for her in the long run. I'm so sorry you have to deal w/this right now on top of everything else :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree she is struggling... If only the nares are to be done, it is not heavy sedation... Ask you vet about it

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
The gang has you covered here and if, as Christine suggested,
you can do nares w/out heavy sedation, may be worth doing.

Bees & ants are all around as Cami goes out, going to have my
son come spray, got a massive red ant bed just out of the gate,
Cami just missed it this morning :(

I'm praying over these issues and sending all, loving hugs!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online