Orijen Dog Food Allergy

SlimsMom

Mar 17, 2021
Lakeland, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Slim
I recently switched my overweight 3 1/2 year old to Orijen Fit and Trim. He immediately started getting bumps where his hair would clump and fall out. I did not attribute it to the food because it started right away. Now I am thinking it must be the new food. We have started calling him Spot! It is terrible. Slim (yes my big fat bulldogs name is Slim), is covered in bald spots! Plus the Orijen Stinks to high heaven! It made him fart and he has never been a gassy bulldog .I found the Orijen on this site and I am very upset.

I have now switched Slim to Acana Duck and Pear and am praying we see quick results.

Just a word to the wise. Orijen DID NOT WORK FOR US.

Thanks for listening,
Slim's Mom

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sorry you are going through this. While Orijen is a good food, it may not work for all dogs and unfortunately the only way to figure that out is through trial and error. Acana is a good food as well but it was too rich when I tried it for my bulldog a few years ago. Two of my dogs are 100% raw and my female bulldog gets Open Farm with Ancient Grains kibble and does very well on it. But again, not all foods work with all dogs. Good luck!

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Sorry you are going through this. While Orijen is a good food, it may not work for all dogs and unfortunately the only way to figure that out is through trial and error. Acana is a good food as well but it was too rich when I tried it for my bulldog a few years ago. Two of my dogs are 100% raw and my female bulldog gets Open Farm with Ancient Grains kibble and does very well on it. But again, not all foods work with all dogs. Good luck!
How would you know if the food is too rich (signs/symptoms)? Gilbert is on Acana single protein bags and seems to be working...only thing I am noticing is his pee is killing my grass!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
How would you know if the food is too rich (signs/symptoms)? Gilbert is on Acana single protein bags and seems to be working...only thing I am noticing is his pee is killing my grass!
If your dog isn’t use to chicken that might be the issue. Why I stress all puppies must be raised on a rotation of all meats even chicken. Try the duck as it’s easier to digest. Rich meaning it’s high in quality with good source of protein, oils, fiber etc. if you have a dog that’s not use to eating high source food it can trigger a body. Like in human, if you always eat out of boxes of pre-made meals then you decided to eat fresh n all home made n remove sugars, definitely your body will react. Yellow grass well a body will change in acidic, enzymes, etc if you change any diet. Normal. If you want to avoid all that is change to a raw diet like Citti mentioned.

Btw, these ingredients are high in protein n oils which will slims down any dog even humans. There’s no “meal” protein either. Great bag.

Deboned chicken, chicken liver, turkey liver, cod liver, whole eggs, flounder, deboned turkey, whole atlantic herring, chicken heart, turkey heart, dehydrated chicken liver, whole dehydrated egg, dehydrated sardine, dehydrated chicken, dehydrated turkey, whole red lentils, whole pinto beans, whole green peas, pea fiber ...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
My guess is...it's the chicken. What was he eating before?

OP
SlimsMom

SlimsMom

Mar 17, 2021
Lakeland, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Slim
My guess is...it's the chicken. What was he eating before?
We've had him on Natural Balance no grain, duck and potato , but felt like he was getting tired of it. Same old thing for 8 Giant Bags worth. I feel it may be the chicken also, but funny thing is he LOVES chicken, and when he is given pieces of ours he has no issues. It is only whatever is in the dog food. Glad to be done with that stinking Orijen.

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Try adding a little bit of frozen peas and carrot bits to his food. It'll be a change in just the same old thing if that food is working for him. My boy loves the peas and it's funny to watch him eating those little frozen bits. LOL.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We've had him on Natural Balance no grain, duck and potato , but felt like he was getting tired of it. Same old thing for 8 Giant Bags worth. I feel it may be the chicken also, but funny thing is he LOVES chicken, and when he is given pieces of ours he has no issues. It is only whatever is in the dog food. Glad to be done with that stinking Orijen.
Giving real chicken isn’t processed like in a kibble. So very rare a dog will react to fresh or cooked chicken. Nothing is wrong with Orijen cause it is a very high quality kibble just maybe not for your dog that’s all. Now that we know he gets bored of his food, simply add 1/4 cup of raw organs as a topper. Mix it in his regular kibble since he has no issues with n he’ll be a happy camper. Raw will help his gut flora n a much healthier Furball.

Mechadogzilla

Nov 15, 2020
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo(English Bulldog) and Hans(Rottweiler)
The last time I tried Orijen I had two French Bulldogs (this was when it was all made in Canada). One of my Frenchies absolutely loved the food; the other one could not handle it (too rich - made him vomit and gave him the runs). I guess different foods work for different dogs. It s nice that there are a variety of high quality foods to choose from.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
there Is something in the processing of chicken.. I know so many dogs that can not eat kibble chicken, but have no issue with eating unprocessed chicken

chauncey_pancakes

Apr 20, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Chauncey
Hi Slim's Mom! We have struggled with Chauncey's weight for over 10 years. He is a small bully weighing about 39-40 lbs now and is 12 year old (his heaviest was at 55 lbs). We have been able to get him off off all meds except prescription eye drops/paw wipes and OTC supplements since switching his diet.

We have tried every store brand & holistic brand dry and wet food. We've seen a dermatologist, allergist, ER Visits, injections, and allergy medications such as Apoquel over several years. All of which has helped but the side effects/cost/results did not work out for us. We have ruled out neurological conditions from seizures, kidney/liver disease, blood disease etc. His weight and protein/liver enzymes were elevated when i had him on dry kibble, so we tried fresh food. He is a very picky eater and would often starve himself to the point of vomiting and/or overeating.

We have been using The Farmers Dog since Feb 2022 and i have noticed instant results with his weight and allergies. My dog has lost 5 pounds so far and is now excited about food. His GI/stool has improved and his energy is up. His dry eye has improved by over 75% IMO and skin, paws, ears have been great. This this was our absolutely last option due to the $$, but noticed results within 2 to 3 days. His protein/liver lab results have stabilized.

I'm not sure if fresh food is the way for your dog but maybe this can give you some insight for your dog's nutrition treatment. We have struggled many years with all of his issues so feel free to reach out for any questions with our experience!

Good luck and wishing you all the best for your pal.

Uiles

Jan 27, 2021
Country
UA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobe
Most of all that it's the food and could be simply a chicken. It's also possible that it's environmental and will go away with the change in seasons - just read that.

My pup was extremely itchy for about the first month or two (until about 16 weeks) and the vet said sometimes puppies are just itchy. We never found a cause and he grew out of it.

Last edited:

Tyson55

Feb 11, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
I recently switched my overweight 3 1/2 year old to Orijen Fit and Trim. He immediately started getting bumps where his hair would clump and fall out. I did not attribute it to the food because it started right away. Now I am thinking it must be the new food. We have started calling him Spot! It is terrible. Slim (yes my big fat bulldogs name is Slim), is covered in bald spots! Plus the Orijen Stinks to high heaven! It made him fart and he has never been a gassy bulldog .I found the Orijen on this site and I am very upset.

I have now switched Slim to Acana Duck and Pear and am praying we see quick results.

Just a word to the wise. Orijen DID NOT WORK FOR US.

Thanks for listening,
Slim's Mom
I would not use Acana there is a law suit a lot of dogs had problem with acana just be careful.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would not use Acana there is a law suit a lot of dogs had problem with acana just be careful.
Is this the one you are referring to?
There was another one about heavy metals that was dismissed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.