Opinions???

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Ollie, when he is ambling along on a walk, looks like he needs a front end alignment. His front sort of points a wee bit to the left and his backside is straight. I never really noticed this before because I never allow him to walk ahead of me. I noticed it when Biglyā€™s parents walked him and Bigly the other day and I saw Ollie from the back. They said, ā€œOh yeah heā€™s ways walked that way.ā€ Ramboā€™s mother agreed.
I looked up ā€œdog walks crookedā€ and got stuff about ā€œcrab walking.ā€ This IS NOT what Ollie does.

https://www.rover.com/blog/dogs-walk-sideways/

Ollie is very athletic and built like the proverbial brick you know what. His chest (see photos) is incredibly wide, waist narrow, rear end not oversized just perfect I think. Ollie can run like the wind and often just leaps over shrubs etc when gecko hunting. The vet has never mentioned anything during her very thorough hands on exams.

Does anyone here have any idea what Iā€™m talking about or has seen this? Could it have anything to do with his chest being so wide as opposed to his rear end? Iā€™m not over concerned, just kind of stymied.
8500130a8bcc62c94ea2f8eedbe0f15c.jpg

57db912b6822cfb1e1a35430544b8991.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can you get video, I picture what Lambeau does but want to see what you are seeing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Punk walks that way also. Always has. Doesn't stop her though - she is out that dog door like a flash . .

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ah-ha-ha, didnā€™t you notice it before? What you describe is majestic, amazing, unique way of bulldog locomotion, called ROLLING! Bulldogs donā€™t walk, they roll! Check the bulldog standard, this is a necessary trait of gorgeous purebred bulldog, like Sir Ollie, rolling walk!
Front paws and hind paws must be different size and they walk with no connection between them! Gorgeous lion-like big front paws walk like they paddle to the left, small hind paws have two types of movement- when Bulldog isnā€™t in a hurry it is a trot, left-right, left-right, and when Sir Ollie is very excited, two hind paws move together in a jump- like movement.
I hope you understood from my description what I mean, not easy to describe but when I see this awkward trot my heart melts, I love so much this funny rolling walk!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Animal bodies(humans included) are symmetric...but not perfectly symmetric. Dogs will have legs that differ, are larger(bigger around and/or longer) from right to left.
In Ollie's case I would suspect that one or more of his legs(right, left, front or rear) are dominant/different enough to throw off his gait; his tracking is "off". Tracking is the automotive term for the front wheels aligned directly in front of the rear wheels. More simply put, he's out of alignment. It's a physical trait of Ollie and something you should embrace, just like the rest of him. It's one of the things that makes him special, different from every other Bulldog.
I am not familiar with any nearby, reputable Bulldog alignment shops and if I saw one I would be suspicious. There is, however, one not too far from you...in GA...3 locations!
https://www.bulldogtire.net/locations.aspx

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Dukeā€™s the odd ball. He trots when he walks. Those hips sure wiggles.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Dukeā€™s the odd ball. He trots when he walks. Those hips sure wiggles.

Hahahaha...I always say Jax "prances" when he walks. I will have to pay attention next time to see what Louie does. I will say when Louie runs he sometimes gallops and looks like a bucking bronco. I am convinced he might be part horse.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Animal bodies(humans included) are symmetric...but not perfectly symmetric. Dogs will have legs that differ, are larger(bigger around and/or longer) from right to left.
In Ollie's case I would suspect that one or more of his legs(right, left, front or rear) are dominant/different enough to throw off his gait; his tracking is "off". Tracking is the automotive term for the front wheels aligned directly in front of the rear wheels. More simply put, he's out of alignment. It's a physical trait of Ollie and something you should embrace, just like the rest of him. It's one of the things that makes him special, different from every other Bulldog.
I am not familiar with any nearby, reputable Bulldog alignment shops and if I saw one I would be suspicious. There is, however, one not too far from you...in GA...3 locations!
https://www.bulldogtire.net/locations.aspx

No, no, no! Ollie has no asymmetry, it is peculiar bulldog way of walking! It is sign of purebreds! Called rolling! Look at the AKC standard under section Gait.
Gait:
The style and carriage are peculiar, his gait being a loose-jointed, shuffling, sidewise motion, giving the characteristic "roll." The action must, however, be unrestrained, free and vigorous.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[h=2]This is excerpt from British standard for EB breed.

Gait[/h][FONT=&quot]Movement and carriage are distinctive to the breed. There is a characteristic roll to the gait, which allows effortless movement without the pounding of the front assembly on the floor, or having the rear assembly so turned in or out as to cause cow-hocked or spread-hocked rear movement. Movement is somewhat constrained, moving with short, quick steps on the tips of the toes. The rear feet appear to skim the ground; they should not be lifted high. They always appear sound and efficient while in motion.[/FONT]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
There is a characteristic roll to the gait, which allows effortless movement without the pounding of the front assembly...
I didn't get the impression that this is what she was describing.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I apologise in advance, Iā€™m not a native English speaker, Iā€™m not sure I can explain very clearly well the characteristic roll of bulldog. Thatā€™s why I put here kennel clubs descriptions. My friend back home was a bulldog breeder and she taught me about bulldog rolling Gait.
But I know what Dana is talking about 100%. It is that sidewise motion, when front paws paddle a bit to the left, and hind quarters is moving straight, very light almost like ballerina on their tiptoes.
I guess you need to see it ne time, because from m my skew description n broken English it is not obvious.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I guess you need to see it ne time, because from m my skew description
I can't get my guys to slow down enough to see anything but a blur. They run to the door. They run to the food bowl. They run out to potty. They run up the steps to get a ball. They run from each other. They, however, never run to their kennels when it's time to go to bed...especially MINI...they slow-walk that every time, taking FOREVER!

Members online

No members online now.