crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
So I have bought crabcake probably 75-100 toys in his first year. By far his favorite are these tennis balls that squeak. If he is outside and sees another tennis ball he doesn't care at all but he loves these things. The problem becomes he is absolutely transfixed by the ball. If he loses it under the couch (which he does sometimes twice a minute), he starts barking and going nuts. Keep in mind he never barks at anything, including if other dogs are barking at him. I really like to make him happy, but at the same time the constant barking and getting on my knees to get the ball is exasperating, especially considering he is so panicked when he constantly loses it. I try not to reward the barking but he really doesn't ease up. About three weeks ago I tried taking away the balls and replacing them with assorted other toys, for 10 days he would not forget the ball, he would look under the couch, occasionally bark, and then would do this whimpering thing that I have never seen him do. So after that it was his birthday, so I decided to give him some new balls. He loves them but again I have the loud barking when he loses it under the table.

I have tried short timeouts to combat the barking, but it either doesn't register with him why he was put in his crate, or he is too transfixed on the balls to care. In fact after he has a nap he sometimes ignores his food in order to find a ball. I'm really lost on this one, because I love to see him happy and the balls certainly do that, but at the same time it is pretty exhausting constantly dealing with the barking and finding his balls, and sometimes he barks under the couch when there is nothing under there. Any suggestions on how to proceed here? He really is the absolutely sweetest boy, and so well behaved in every other way. Thanks for any help!

IMG_2518.JPGIMG_2511.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have long lost twins... soul brothers!! Lambeau is beyond obsessed with orange squeaky tennis balls... we had to remove them from play time several times, we currently are in one of those times.. our saving grace is he does not bark.. he gets quite and sits or lays and stares at where the ball is stuck. The bad for us is, he growls, gets overly rough and refuses to drop or leave on command.

We were actually talking last night about removing them permanently.

We have redirected his play with other types of balls or toys, but if he sees the 'orange tennis ball' all bets are off and he will nit play with any other toys. As with you we have hundreds of toys and bones throughout the house and he has other favorites but nothing compares to the orange squeaky tennis ball.

If you can't redirect to other toys or bones... no ball might be only way. I'll be doing some research and reading... will share what if anything I find.

Patricia McConnell is my favorite to read and follow .. if you want to read as we'll here is her site.

Crabcake is one handsome boy

Patricia McConnell PH.D. | McConnell Publishing Inc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I worked 20 yrs with children and I always said dogs are like 1-5yr olds. You train them the same way as you raise your children (figure of speech). 2 things......try taking the squeaky out of the ball n see what happens or just plain stop buying squeaky toys.

Also, too many tennis balls can wear down teeth if it's none stop chewing on them as it's an abrasive material. But heh, dogs just looooves tennis balls. It's one of them things...damm you do n damm you don't...

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
I worked 20 yrs with children and I always said dogs are like 1-5yr olds. You train them the same way as you raise your children (figure of speech). 2 things......try taking the squeaky out of the ball n see what happens or just plain stop buying squeaky toys.

Also, too many tennis balls can wear down teeth if it's none stop chewing on them as it's an abrasive material. But heh, dogs just looooves tennis balls. It's one of them things...damm you do n damm you don't...

He will break the squeaky element in the ball rather quickly, so I dont think its simply that. The last two days he has gone mental barking around the couch thinking there are more balls underneath. It's very frustrating because I don't like to see him upset over anything and he also just never barks besides this.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He will break the squeaky element in the ball rather quickly, so I dont think its simply that. The last two days he has gone mental barking around the couch thinking there are more balls underneath. It's very frustrating because I don't like to see him upset over anything and he also just never barks besides this.

Hmmmmm....one of my son's rescue pitbull is extremely obsessed with any ball. When all cousins are playing there is no way any of them can have the ball. She will out run them and she is fast n sleek too. So what he's doing and I noticed it's working but consist being on her is removing the ball, putting it on the floor and teaching her not to touch it. Basically he's re-training her as she was a rescue. How old is Crabcake?

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Bella is the same with a splash ball. She is obsessed with them. She also will put the in the couch cushions (then head dive in to get them and make a mess of the couch) or under the couch then sit there and make this loud sound (we call it a chewbaca sound) Lol..... she will sometime falls to sleep laying there waiting for me to get it. If I get down on my knees to fetch it she is right there to grab it as soon as she sees it. (A little dangerous for me sometimes!)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Boils down if you dont have control on an issue of obsession and you have tried everything in you power for months, you need to find a trainer that is well reputable as soom are useless and have them show you what to do. In this case it's a ball and other obsession will be, bones, toys and often the dog can be obsessed on a human or their master. If a trainer is not feasible there are good books or videos online for free.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I wish Chunky was obsessed with balls. His obsession is mulch and will act like he needs to go out just to get a piece and run :rundog: back inside knowing I will scold him and take it away. I guess small victories are a big thing for him. :sneaky2:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
some of this stuff just cracks me up so much... one of which is that "running" dog [MENTION=14678]Chunky White[/MENTION] ... this somehow hits my funny bone ;) and [MENTION=16776]Hceril[/MENTION] I tell ya, I know your pain.. lol Hank is a lover of having me retrieve his toys. I decided though early on in 'this' game, I just point to my right or left b/4 I attempt to get the toy and he runs and sits and waits for the toy/ball whatever. He was grabbing fast so we changed that up real fast. It's cool to see how well he understands stuff when he wans to. Hes' a smart cookie and will freeze there until I 'ok' him to get the toy. we even practice the 'no touch' often when he gets into obsessive mode. calms him down knowing that once he's looks at me instead of toy, he gets the toy.

Members online

No members online now.