Now if only they would do the same for EB's

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
As much as I absolutely love bulldogs in general, I would much rather my dog be healthy and not have problems all due to "looks".

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion bad breeding greates more health problems more short muzzles. You see advertising about puppys whos parents only DNA test has been about the colour they carry. Longer muzzle will save little. If people start wanting longer muzzles there will be puppys bred only to have longer muzzles since that's where the money is. Health in this case is also not in the looks.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
In my opinion bad breeding greates more health problems more short muzzles. You see advertising about puppys whos parents only DNA test has been about the colour they carry. Longer muzzle will save little. If people start wanting longer muzzles there will be puppys bred only to have longer muzzles since that's where the money is. Health in this case is also not in the looks.
But it is a start.... Short muzzles and squishy faces are all part and parcel of the bad breeding practices we see now. My two dogs had to have surgery because of breathing problems. That is a health problem caused by, yes, short muzzles. It is breeding a lot of times for looks, (and as you say, all the new colours), and who cares what they have to do to get them. It is the dog that has suffered.

MikeO

May 13, 2020
San Jose, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stinson
Unfortunately, there's no guarantee of not having brachycephalic related health problems even with a good breeder. And technically speaking good breeders are all about breeding for looks. You can't win a dog show if your dog doesn't meet the breed standard. And per the standard, the nose carries the most points.

Members online

No members online now.