Not new but returning

Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
Hi Iā€™m Nancy mom to My 10 yr old bulldog Sophia.havenā€™t logged in in a while but since Iā€™ve been having some new problems thought Iā€™d come back and see what others are doing for themā€¦namely acid reflux and tail pocket issues something most bulldog parents deal with sooner or later

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Iā€™m Nancy mom to My 10 yr old bulldog Sophia.havenā€™t logged in in a while but since Iā€™ve been having some new problems thought Iā€™d come back and see what others are doing for themā€¦namely acid reflux and tail pocket issues something most bulldog parents deal with sooner or later
Hi Nancy, Welcome Back :welcome3:. There are a plethora threads regarding here on EBN about tail pockets.. In the top right-hand part of the EBN web page there is a "SEARCH" button. Click on that and then type in what you are searching for. In your case, it is "tail pockets." As you know, "it is a penny for your thoughts but, everyone wants to put in their two-cents worth." I hope this helps but other EBN members will chime in.

As you know, there are many articles related to bullies on the forum.

Welcome back again and your Sophia the bullshark is a real cutie.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

SOURCE: https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_gastroesophageal_reflux

What Is Acid Reflux in Dogs?​

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition where gastric or intestinal fluids reverse into the esophagus (the tube connecting the mouth to the stomach). This may be due to the muscular opening at the base of the esophagus (called the lower esophageal sphincter) relaxing. While this can occur during anesthesia, it also happens for unknown reasons, too.

Gastroesophageal reflux, also called ā€œacid reflux,ā€ is thought to be fairly common in dogs. It can happen to any dog (and it crops up in cats, too), although younger pups and brachycephalic (flat-faced) dogs are at greater risk.

The gastric acid, pepsin, bile salts, and other components of the gastrointestinal juices cause damage to the protective lining of the esophagus. This can result in inflammation of the esophagus (esophagitis).

Symptoms of Acid Reflux in Dogs​

Gastroesophageal reflux can cause esophagitis, but the conditionā€™s tissue damage and pain levels vary. Mild esophagitis is limited to esophageal lining inflammation, while more severe ulcerative esophagitis causes damage to the deeper layers of the esophagus.

Symptoms of acid reflux in dogs include:
  • Regurgitating food
    • Evidence of pain (whining or pacing, for example)
    • Lack of appetite
    • Lip-licking
    • Coughing
    • Change in the sound of the bark
    • Weight loss

Young dogs may be at greater risk of developing GERD because their gastroesophageal sphincters are still developing. Long-term or chronic vomiting can also cause esophagitis.
  • Ingestion of a caustic agent
  • A foreign body in the dogā€™s throat
  • A tumor in the esophagus
  • A hernia next to the esophagus
  • Megaesophagus, a condition in dogs where the muscles of the esophagus do not function properly in pushing food into the stomach
  • Other diseases of the mouth, throat, or stomach

Treating Acid Reflux in Dogs​

Most treatment is done at home. Many dogs respond to eating a low-fat, prescription diet given in small, frequent meals. Dietary fat should be limited because fat stimulates gastric acid secretion.

Medications can also help. Drugs known as gastrointestinal pro-kinetic agents help stomach contents move through the organs and strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter. Veterinarians also often recommend medications to reduce stomach acid production and to protect the lining of the esophagus.

Managing Acid Reflux in Dogs​

After initial treatment, continue monitoring for gastroesophageal reflux in your dog, as it may flare up from time to time. Watch for signs of discomfort and the other symptoms of GERD.

A continued low-fat, low-protein diet will help prevent future incidences, and high-fat treats should be avoided, as they may worsen gastroesophageal reflux. Some dogs also require long-term treatment with medications.

If your dog doesnā€™t respond to initial medical treatments, follow-up diagnostic testing may be advised.

Preventingā€Æ Acid Reflux in Dogs​

High-fat foods can worsen acid reflux. The best way to prevent future flare-ups is a healthy diet thatā€™s low in fat. Also, be sure to keep your dog on any maintenance medications that your veterinarian has recommended.

I hope this helps. RJ

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Tail pocket having issues:
- Chlorohexidine 2%, get very soft gauze or cloth and soak it with c-hex and soak and clean the area. Let it sit 5 minutes then gently dry with clean soft gauze or cloth
- Neo-predef - it requires a prescription from your vet, but it is what you want. Squirt the powder in and gently rub it everywhere, use a qtip if needed. It's expensive but a little goes a long ways.

Tail pocket not having issues:
- Clean with chlorhexidine as often as is needed. Keep dry
- Apply corn starch as if it was Neo-predef, but you can be more liberal

For others: be cautious using neo-predef on puppies

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome back! the gang sure has you covered. Hope some of their information helps you and your girl

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome back Nancy & Sophia.

Been 7 yrs I clean Nyalaā€™s tail pocket. I use to clean every 3 days, for first couple yrs, then once a week now every 2 weeks. Fractionate Coconut Oil, lavender n tea tree. I modified it to:

4oz FCO
10 drops of Lavender
6 drops of Tea Tree

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Tail pocket having issues:
- Chlorohexidine 2%, get very soft gauze or cloth and soak it with c-hex and soak and clean the area. Let it sit 5 minutes then gently dry with clean soft gauze or cloth
- Neo-predef - it requires a prescription from your vet, but it is what you want. Squirt the powder in and gently rub it everywhere, use a qtip if needed. It's expensive but a little goes a long ways.

Tail pocket not having issues:
- Clean with chlorhexidine as often as is needed. Keep dry
- Apply corn starch as if it was Neo-predef, but you can be more liberal

For others: be cautious using neo-predef on puppies
I love Neo-predef! Works great on drying up hotspots as well!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Welcome back!

For acid reflux, small more frequent meals and not too high fat diet(must be high quality NOT from the vet as itā€™s all fillers!)
What food are you currently feeding her?

Tail pocket:

I clean my dogs tail pocket daily and always make sure itā€™s dry after(the less moisture the better).

OP
Sophia the bullshark
Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
Welcome back!

For acid reflux, small more frequent meals and not too high fat diet(must be high quality NOT from the vet as itā€™s all fillers!)
What food are you currently feeding her?

Tail pocket:

I clean my dogs tail pocket daily and always make sure itā€™s dry after(the less moisture the better).
She is on a raw diet due to allergies I give her rabbit and beef with a daily whole sardine adding blackberries and riced broccoli and half teaspoon of spuillina powder for allergies. ( I feed her 4 X s a day)I was giving her pork but noticed that really irritated her reflux. Same with 70/30 ground beef. I use 90/10 with better outcome. So for her it is definitely fat content.I give her pepcid morning and night. Just recently starting the night because sheā€™s been waking up with acid reflux.

for tail pockets Iā€™ve been trying different things. curasb sppray with chlorhexidine and ketoconazole But seem to have some luck with squirting blue powder ear treatment in there with a suction bulb , cleaning out with a Q tip , dry real good then applying A and D diaper rash cream daily. I noticed some here are recommending goldbond powder but I donā€™t know how they are getting the powder in there I could sprinkle it on a q tip but how could that possibly be enough to help. Her tail pocket is deep and tight.
thank you for any ide

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@Sophia the bullshark youā€™re feeding her well. Just like in humans, OTC tablets like pepcid, tums etc can often be the culprit. Try digestive enzymes instead. Add fermented food to the meals to get the gut going. Zinc is also good. And any veggies thatā€™s high in acidity wonā€™t help. Look them up.

Tail pocket, again try my recipe above. Works šŸ‘

OP
Sophia the bullshark
Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
@Sophia the bullshark youā€™re feeding her well. Just like in humans, OTC tablets like pepcid, tums etc can often be the culprit. Try digestive enzymes instead. Add fermented food to the meals to get the gut going. Zinc is also good. And any veggies thatā€™s high in acidity wonā€™t help. Look them up.

Tail pocket, again try my recipe above. Works šŸ‘
Thanks Iā€™m gonna look into that and give digestive enzymes a try. fermented foods too. Thanks very much

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Your definitely feeding her good food!

Agree- Digestive enzymes would be a good thing to try and maybe he wonā€™t need the pepsid. The Four Leaf Rover brand makes really good products(I have heave my dog the Digest for digestive enzymes before and it definitely works).

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Agree with the aforementioned & especially like the idea of smaller more frequent meals...basically giving that steady stream of stomach acid something to do. Please report back how things go.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I noticed some here are recommending goldbond powder but I donā€™t know how they are getting the powder in there I could sprinkle it on a q tip but how could that possibly be enough to help. Her tail pocket is deep and tight.
It is similar to Neo-Predef and Cornstarch so Iā€™ll tell you what I do with them:

For the neopredef I shake it into an opening I make with my other hand. Make a pile on the side and then with a qtip I work it into the pocket.

For cornstarch and I am assuming this will be what you do with gold bond: transfer into a small Tupperware. Use a qtip to sort of scoop the powder, get a little mound. Using your other hand open up a spot on the side that you can bring the qtip to. When next to it, turn the qtip dumping the powder into the opening then use the qtip to work it into the tail. Then grab a clean qtip and repeat. It will take a little practice.

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.