New Vegan Dog Food!?

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
So there is this lady on instagram that is always showing pics of her amazing bulldogs. She is a strict vegan and feeds her dogs a vegan dog food as well called v-dog. She swears all their allergies went away. I can't wrap my mind around vegan dog food.....no animal protein at all....not even eggs? How can a dog thrive on this? Anyone know anything about it?
http://v-dog.com

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
First time I've heard of it, looks like they are using peas as the main source of protein. Very interesting, I personally would not use it, but respect other peoples choices. I've seen many people have great success with a vegetarian based food before that were having severe allergy problems. My biggest turn off was salt in the ingredient list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can't wrap my head around that either.... Especially all the grains--rice and oats

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I haven't heard of this food either. I always thought dogs needed a protein and meat based diet. But like every other situation, what works for some people, some dogs, or cats, etc. we are all different in what foods, treats, medications, and products we like, tolerate or are allergic to. A vegan diet may be the only alternative for some dogs who are allergic to every protein, and if it works for them, then that's great. I would think that you would have to add some supplements though, and I would also worry about the salt content, as this is not good for dogs, ( it's probably added as a preservative) also dogs don't digest grains, rice and oats very well, and this would also be a problem for the dogs that are allergic to grains and corn. It may be a good alternative for some people, and when we find a food that works for us, that's always a win. Is she feeding her dogs a Vegan diet because of allergy issues, or health issues, or is it because she herself is a Vegan?

Most Reactions