New puppy help and advice

Jenna80

Mar 9, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Havent
Good afternoon! I have a brand spankin new eb puppy. Sheā€™s is nine weeks old and does not have a name yet. I am struggling with names! We picked her up on Saturday and sheā€™s has done pretty well so far. She came from the breeder eating Royal Canin Bulldog puppy. She eats it well. This morning after eating and playing and many times out to potty, I placed her in her playpen and took my children to school. When I returned, it looked like she had been really upset and threw up all of her breakfast on the floor and her bed. I am trying to get her more used to her playpen by placing her in there when Iā€™m doing house work so she can see me. She cries a little but mostly will settle down, but other times she insists that I come get her. I guess Iā€™m worried that after upsetting herself to the point of throwing up, that that is not normal? How do I curb the anxiety of her being alone when I need to run an errand?

BD4EB788-32E1-4D2E-8AF6-D0507F668177.jpeg

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
If you can, when you take the kids to school, take the puppy too. Bulldogs love going for rides. If you can find a car harness that locks into a seatbelt system, get it. Put her in between the kids and let them entertain her before they have to go to class. When you have to go on errands, take her bed out of the crate. That way if she does have an accident while your away, it will be easier to clean up. Try not to feed her and play with her too much before you leave. These are all suggestions, I am by no means an expert on bulldogs. But mine sure does love to go for rides. My wife and I have to spell the word ride, because if we say it, he is right at the door ready to go and there is no shooing him away.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, I agree with [MENTION=18933]tigertanktoo[/MENTION] - bring her whenever you can. Unless absolutely necessary, don't leave a nine-week pup. She's just a baby so needs to be close to you. At home, I would put her on the floor in the room you are in, so that she can hang around your feet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bulldog pups! Castor says hi to the little one!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=20141]Jenna80[/MENTION] Congratulations on your new baby! She is a pretty one! First of all, you need to get her a good food. That food is garbage. Most people here recommend Acana, or Fromm. I personally feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon..Bulldogs really need a grain-free dog food, as there's less chance of allergies. If you look at ingredients, you can see Royal Canin is junk, and vets sell it, and Hills because they get $ back.. Puppies throw up sometimes if they eat too much at once, or she may have gotten upset when you left. When my pups were little, I put a stuffed animal in the crate with them to keep them company. When they are older, you have to watch that they don't chew it. Give her some chew toys(no rawhide) in her crate, and she will have to get used to it. Mine always did after awhile.I would throw a couple of pup treats in there, when I put them in the crate. Some people will feed them in the crate, to get them used to it(but not when their alone). Others here will have more suggestions for you. :EBNwelcome:enjoy your pup-they grow up fast!

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Awe she's adorable! welcome to the best and most friendly forum ever! I feed Zignature but I adopted an adult, already on that with the rescue and I didn't want to upset her digestive system as her whole life was HUGE changes going into the rescue in November, getting spayed in December, then getting adopted January 4th from a life in a cage being grossly overbred. I am living the puppy life vicariously on here through others! And learning along the way myself.

OP
J

Jenna80

Mar 9, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Havent
This afternoon I had to leave to pick up my kids from track practice and she did much better. I did not give her anymore Royal Canin, but instead gave her one of those single serve Honest Kitchen chicken and oatmeal cups, she REALLY enjoyed that! �� I will look into Fromm. Is there any one formula better than the others? As far as what she has in her playpen....a bed, pee pad, stuffed llama, and a benebone. Is that too much? Iā€™m trying to put her in the playpen every time she shows signs of being tired. I want her to know that her playpen is her resting place.
5DCEFF76-0F4B-48CB-A2E6-C4732892FF31.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This afternoon I had to leave to pick up my kids from track practice and she did much better. I did not give her anymore Royal Canin, but instead gave her one of those single serve Honest Kitchen chicken and oatmeal cups, she REALLY enjoyed that! šŸ¤£ I will look into Fromm. Is there any one formula better than the others? As far as what she has in her playpen....a bed, pee pad, stuffed llama, and a benebone. Is that too much? Iā€™m trying to put her in the playpen every time she shows signs of being tired. I want her to know that her playpen is her resting place.
View attachment 120633

welcome to EBN! Congratulations... she is adorable.... How about the name Spunky?

As for food.. Honest Kitchen is a fantastic food, it if you want other choices, Fromm, Zingnature, Open Farm, Earthborn Holistic, Acana. I personally feed raw from a local supplier.

something to keep in mind, Bulldogs are Velcro dogs and LOVE their human so as other said the more you can take them with the better, they love car rides, walks and people... my two love children but not other dogs.

also, you can place a dirty t-shirt in her pen to help her settle as it will have your scent on it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
She is adorable!

Ella used to sleep downstairs in her crate. Then one morning I came down and I could tell she threw up. Didnā€™t think too much of it and then she did it again and again and only at night. So I slept in the couch with her a couple nights so I can see when she was throwing up. All was good so back in the crate she went. And she threw up. So then I tried leaving her out and no crate. Threw up again. It was always bile. I tried giving her some snacks before bed in case she had an empty stomach. Continued to throw up. Slept downstairs again and all was fine. So then I tried one more thing. I kicked my bulldog Louie out of my bed and made him sleep downstairs with Ella. Heā€™s been down here with her since August /September and no more throwing up since! She didnā€™t want to sleep alone anymore lol. She was probably 8 or 9 months old when it started. Since yours is such a young pup, I do think you should get her used to being alone in small spurts at a time and build up to longer. While itā€™s great taking them with you when you can, there will come times where theyā€™ll have to be home alone. Ella and Louie each go into crates when home alone and do fine. Itā€™s good to get them used to it when theyā€™re young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
WELCOME!!! Sheā€™s sure is a pretty girl. Honest Kitchen is great!! Good job getting her off RC.

When my brindle Nyala was a pup I brought her everywhere. She hates all vehicles but she had no choice as I was gone for long hrs. She got use to it n accepted it. My others guy loves going for a ride. So definitely bring her along if you can so she gets use to rides. Great companion to.

Members online

No members online now.