New Puppy biting and proper discipline...

Chemist54

Feb 14, 2017
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
Hi bulldog lovers! This is my new puppy King Bentley! I have a few questions about training that maybe you all could help me with. This is my first bulldog, I have had mastiffs my entire life. Over the past 3 weeks it has been a wild ride! Lol! We are having some issues with biting. He is 12 weeks old but all he does is bite. Bites hands, fingers, feet, arms, legs, anything! What advice can you all give me to prevent this biting? I've given him ropes and chew toys and bones but he LOVES to bite and bite hard. Also, when he dies bite what is the best form of discipline? I don't want to be too harsh but I don't want him to walk over me or my fiancé either! Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_7901.JPG
    IMG_7901.JPG
    522.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_8020.PNG
    IMG_8020.PNG
    737.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_8090.JPG
    IMG_8090.JPG
    640.2 KB · Views: 164

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
:welcome4:

Chunky Monkey is just being a puppy that needs to chew on everything, anything and anyone lol. Imagine a mastiff biting? So what I do is when any dog wants our limbs as chewing toys I grabs each jowls squeeze them a bit and say a firm NO. Then get a real marrow bone so he gets the message eventually.

Cute little puppy you got there! We like photos!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Welcome!! My 12 week old (also a king, King Louie) does the same thing, it's the puppy phase and they will grow out of it. Be consistent and always give a firm NO. Like [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] said, gran his jowls. Sometimes I grab him by the back of the neck. And when he really gets cray, he gets a timeout in his crate.

Another thing is they have a lot of energy at that age so make sure you get some of it out. Also try to redirect the biting with toys and stuff he is allowed to chew!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel...we'll both get there soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Welcome! First....Ummmmm.....WHAT A SWEETHEART!! That face!!!!

What worked for me was if Joey came after any part of me, on purpose, when she was a puppy I screamed pretty loud and "OUCH you hurt me" and turned my back, left her alone. I guess that is what worked because it's all I ever did :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Bullie puppies are the worst for biting that I have ever had! You have to constantly keep after them,saying "no bite!" give 'em a nylabone,or something they are allowed to bite/chew, and say "here,bite this" as you stick it in the mouth! Stay with it,and don't give up!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
What a cutie! I love his white socks!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh hes soooooooooo cute and I had to laugh! you had those big ole mastiffs and the bulldog gonna whoop ya... lol Well, not really but the picture in my head was funny anyway ... So, Good advice here, and mine was the same as Sisters 3... He has never bit on me again as he hated hurting me..(he was about 4 months old when I brought him home) He's a sensitive one. Though,,,,,,,,,,,,, he still will play (sometimes too rough) with his daddy and has to be slowed down.. Small group of you going through this together :) It'll all come around..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... what a beautiful adorable boy!!

Puppy shark teeth phase.... good firm NO with a toy redirecting

:welcome3: to EBN

OP
C

Chemist54

Feb 14, 2017
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
Thank you all for the kind words and compliments on my baby boy! We love him so much! I will definitely try the "NO!" And ignore and redirect him to a chew toy or bone. I look forward to talking with you all more on this journey we have ahead of us. Thank you!

Sir Bentley

Jan 27, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bentley
What a cute little biting boy!
Great advice above and it will work eventually. When you do redirect with a toy make sure you read the manufacturer warning labels. Many will tell you not to leave your boy unsupervised with many chew toys. Bullies are great chew monsters and can eventually eat most toys. When that happens ....off to the vet. We stoped giving rope toys to Sir Bentley after hearing of a bully who died shortly after swallowing a piece of rope that got twisted in his intestines.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Oh I remember those shark teeth!!
It seems like so long ago but it really isn't. Bella is only 6 months old and stopped that around 3 1/2 to 4 months old. But oh did they hurt. Lol
She still mouths but not in a hurting way.

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
I have the same prob with my Chevy and nothing seems to work I have tried ignoring him I have tried trading fingers and toes for toys I have tried time outs I have tried yelping and two days ago I was cleaning out his crate and changing his blankets and he snapped at my face and caught my top lip and split my lip wide open so I am at my wits end any help would be great I was even considering taking him to a show but I can't until we get his biteing under control

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.