New Pup! How do I transition from chicken and rice to new kibble?

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
Hey guys! I switched her to acana yesterday and she finally had normal looking poop for the first time since we got her. I was so happy I even took pictures hahaha! Unfortunately the celebration was short lived because since yesterday she has pooped 12 times. She even pooped at 1:30am, 4am and 5am. Her stool looks fine but Im not sure if its normal to poop that much especially because every time shes gone its a lot. Im hoping today it will be a little more normal.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hey guys! I switched her to acana yesterday and she finally had normal looking poop for the first time since we got her. I was so happy I even took pictures hahaha! Unfortunately the celebration was short lived because since yesterday she has pooped 12 times. She even pooped at 1:30am, 4am and 5am. Her stool looks fine but Im not sure if its normal to poop that much especially because every time shes gone its a lot. Im hoping today it will be a little more normal.

I tried Acana with Louie when he was a puppy and I stopped because it was too rich for him and he pooped too much on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I tried Acana with Louie when he was a puppy and I stopped because it was too rich for him and he pooped too much on it.

How often is normal? Today Brisket has been going a lot more than usual, but DH made the mistake of giving into those puppy dog eyes this morning when I (attempted) to sleep in, and gave him two servings of food. So that might be the reason.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Young puppies will probably poop more but Ella is 9 months old and eats Open Farm kibble and probably poops 3 times a day. Maybe 4.

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi

Oh no! I was really hoping that acana was going to work out. I will give it a few more days and hope the frequency lessens. Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate it.

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
How often is normal? Today Brisket has been going a lot more than usual, but DH made the mistake of giving into those puppy dog eyes this morning when I (attempted) to sleep in, and gave him two servings of food. So that might be the reason.

How many times does Brisket usually go?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Before my dogs raw diet, all my previous n present dogs were on Acana. Never had issues. Yes dogs can be different. It’s been only one day. Takes a few days before everything settles. Acana is rich as it’s has a very high nutritional value. You need to feed less than what that bags says. But how much you feeding him n which Acana bag you giving him? Also did you remove the RC treats?

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
Before my dogs raw diet, all my previous n present dogs were on Acana. Never had issues. Yes dogs can be different. It’s been only one day. Takes a few days before everything settles. Acana is rich as it’s has a very high nutritional value. You need to feed less than what that bags says. But how much you feeding him n which Acana bag you giving him? Also did you remove the RC treats?

I give her a cup 3x a day. The poop has gone down from 12 to about 7 or 8 times but she is waking up about 3 times in the middle of the night to poop. I stopped the RC treats completely. We are going to give her less food today and see what happens. Thank you so much!

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi

Oh forgot to say she is on acana duck.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I give her a cup 3x a day. The poop has gone down from 12 to about 7 or 8 times but she is waking up about 3 times in the middle of the night to poop. I stopped the RC treats completely. We are going to give her less food today and see what happens. Thank you so much!

Give it a good week. What does the bag say per day? Duck is eaters to digest too. Does he get any snacks at all? If so what is it?

You can give 2 cups per day but do give as a noon snack like frozen whole fish. I give my 2 whole sardines or mackerel. The mackerel I cut it in half as they are bigger than the sardines of 4”..

Acana Duck...as you see it’s high in calories, try giving 2.5 cups per day if he doesn’t get any snacks...

Deboned duck, duck meal, whole lentils, whole peas, duck liver, duck fat, lentil fiber, pears, pollock oil, pea starch, natural duck flavor, duck cartilage, pumpkin, salt, mixed tocopherols (preservative), zinc proteinate, dried kelp, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, freeze dried duck liver, copper proteinate, chicory root, turmeric, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

METABOLIZABLE ENERGY: 3405 kcal/kg (409 kcal per 8 oz. cup), with 32 % from protein, 26 % from carbohydrates, and 42 % from fat.

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
Give it a good week. What does the bag say per day? Duck is eaters to digest too. Does he get any snacks at all? If so what is it?

You can give 2 cups per day but do give as a noon snack like frozen whole fish. I give my 2 whole sardines or mackerel. The mackerel I cut it in half as they are bigger than the sardines of 4”..

Acana Duck...as you see it’s high in calories, try giving 2.5 cups per day if he doesn’t get any snacks...

Deboned duck, duck meal, whole lentils, whole peas, duck liver, duck fat, lentil fiber, pears, pollock oil, pea starch, natural duck flavor, duck cartilage, pumpkin, salt, mixed tocopherols (preservative), zinc proteinate, dried kelp, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, freeze dried duck liver, copper proteinate, chicory root, turmeric, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

METABOLIZABLE ENERGY: 3405 kcal/kg (409 kcal per 8 oz. cup), with 32 % from protein, 26 % from carbohydrates, and 42 % from fat.

Ok Thank you so much for all the help. I went down to 2.5cups yesterday but I will do 2 today. She gets treats for training but I also use the acana food for that so she gets maybe 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup extra for that.

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
About 6x a day

Oh ok. Mochi is probably 6 to 7 times but my problem is the poops in the middle of the night. She woke up again last night at 2am to poop and then she woke up at 4am (her usual wake up time) and pooped again.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh ok. Mochi is probably 6 to 7 times but my problem is the poops in the middle of the night. She woke up again last night at 2am to poop and then she woke up at 4am (her usual wake up time) and pooped again.

What time is her last meal of the day? You can try feeding earlier.

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
What time is her last meal of the day? You can try feeding earlier.

I agree with this. Brisket’s last feeding is at 6:30pm, and he’ll poop right before bed, but not through the night.

Members online

No members online now.