New Owner - Food Advice

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you for your feedback. Yes I would appreciate your recommendation on high end kibble.

The high end kibbles are(higher end is at the top of the list):

-Carna4(no synthetic vitamins and itā€™s oven baked nuggets instead of lots of heat/processing)-comes in Goat, Lamb, herring, venison, duck and chicken as protein options to rotate thru.

-Natures Logic(no synthetic vitamins)-comes in Sardine, Lamb, beef, pork, and some other protein options.

-Orijen(low in added vitamins/minerals)- uses multiple proteins in each recipe.

-Acana singles recipes(not the Acana Classics as 1/2 of it is oats), the single protein options are: lamb, duck, pork, and there is a good fish option but donā€™t recommend the Wild Coast as it has lots of oats(I think the fish without oats is called Pacifica).
They have more formulas that are good too such as Acana ā€˜Ranchlandsā€™ and ā€˜Grasslandsā€™. All their formulas are good except stay away from the grains I recommend, Acana is a cheaper alternative to Orijen sometimes but Orijen is better than Acana.

Ideally there shouldnā€™t be added amino acids in the food cause that means the protein itā€™s coming from isnā€™t great quality and it needs to be added back in which isnā€™t properly absorbed.

May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
The high end kibbles are(higher end is at the top of the list):

-Carna4(no synthetic vitamins and itā€™s oven baked nuggets instead of lots of heat/processing)-comes in Goat, Lamb, herring, venison, duck and chicken as protein options to rotate thru.

-Natures Logic(no synthetic vitamins)-comes in Sardine, Lamb, beef, pork, and some other protein options.

-Orijen(low in added vitamins/minerals)- uses multiple proteins in each recipe.

-Acana singles recipes(not the Acana Classics as 1/2 of it is oats), the single protein options are: lamb, duck, pork, and there is a good fish option but donā€™t recommend the Wild Coast as it has lots of oats(I think the fish without oats is called Pacifica).
They have more formulas that are good too such as Acana ā€˜Ranchlandsā€™ and ā€˜Grasslandsā€™. All their formulas are good except stay away from the grains I recommend, Acana is a cheaper alternative to Orijen sometimes but Orijen is better than Acana.

Ideally there shouldnā€™t be added amino acids in the food cause that means the protein itā€™s coming from isnā€™t great quality and it needs to be added back in which isnā€™t properly absorbed.
This is helpful thank you. Iā€™ve heard of Acana and Orijen and I read theyā€™re owned by same company and involved in a class action lawsuit. Someone recommended Zignature. Iā€™ll look at single protein source foods. Thanks again for your reply.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
This is helpful thank you. Iā€™ve heard of Acana and Orijen and I read theyā€™re owned by same company and involved in a class action lawsuit. Someone recommended Zignature. Iā€™ll look at single protein source foods. Thanks again for your reply.

Yes they are made by relatives.

Zignature is ok, itā€™s better than some others but it has synthetic vitamins in it though which tells you the protein being used isnā€™t the best quality, or itā€™s being added in because of the heating and processing.

The best ones are the ones I listed, if you arenā€™t comfortable with Acana or Orijen. Carna 4 i recommend!

Carna 4 has sprouted seeds and is a god probiotics. The barley seeds act differently than actually processed grains. All whole food based limited ingredients and organic.

Natures logic adds probiotics too to their formulas. Uses millet which is a less Allergy than most grains. More processed than Carna 4 though.

Either the Carna 4 or natures logic, and you can even rotate thru both those brands for more variety to prevent food allergiesšŸ˜Š

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I could be wrong, but from my understanding all of those lawsuits were dismissed.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
2 of my dogs eat raw and my female gets Open Farm with Ancient Grains and does very well on it. Please know that while some brands are better than others, I advise to feed the best you can and feed what works for your dog. What works for one, may not work for another.

TxMom2

May 1, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louise and Chief
Hi, I am a new bulldog mom to Otto (14wks). I had a question about food. I originally purchased Royal Canin, and now understand itā€™s crap, so have switched him over to Acana Wholesome Grains. I see a lot of posts advocating grain-free, but my vet told me ā€œgrain free is a joke and dogs need grains like humans do.ā€

Iā€™m wondering if anyone here has an opinion of feeding him the Acana wholesome grains or recommends switching to Acana grain free. Appreciate the advice in advance!!View attachment 122302
Oh my gosh why is he so cuuuute šŸ˜© I need advice as well, for food. My babies are 14 wks and 11 wks

kyredneck

Mar 20, 2021
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
Iā€™ve been feeding 2yr old Levi Acana Red Meat Grain Free recipe and he is doing great ! Was thinking of switching brands a while back but Acana has 300mg. of Glucosamine where others Iā€™ve looked at donā€™t and I figured that was important for his joint health and he really likes it but will probably go to same except in the Freshwater Fish Recipe so he doesnā€™t get bored.

Last edited:

kyredneck

Mar 20, 2021
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
Iā€™m staying with Acana but will switch to Freshwater Fish recipe next bag to give him a different taste,,

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™m staying with Acana but will switch to Freshwater Fish recipe next bag to give him a different taste,,
Suggestions so he doesnā€™t get boredā€¦

Attachments

• D5EED973-8891-49DE-B592-5E0B0795F43A.jpeg
    D5EED973-8891-49DE-B592-5E0B0795F43A.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 63
  • C5A59B4A-0C6C-4A39-AF1B-2B187019613E.jpeg
    C5A59B4A-0C6C-4A39-AF1B-2B187019613E.jpeg
    869.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 243BDFE5-065F-428B-A8CD-ED1921A9629E.jpeg
    243BDFE5-065F-428B-A8CD-ED1921A9629E.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 63

Most Reactions